Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

There are three pictures in the latest Bachmann Collectors’ Club magazine; copyright, unfortunately. Mr. York is a busy man (see “Two unaccompanied (overgrown) children sneak into Hornby Visitor's Centre” :D) but perhaps he might persuade Bachmann to allow him to post them here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I like the Coal Tank, this scratches my Midland itch very nicely indeed.

Hopefully a non condensing belpaire boiler will one day appear to add to what I have on pre-order already...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This is looking very encouraging. The smooth smokebox wrapper on the c. 1909 condition version is a boon for those such as me who will want to backdate the model to true Johnson condition. There looks like plenty of scope for ringing the changes so maybe one day we'll see an early condition condensing engine - just the thing for the south-of-the-river enthusiasts!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

They look fantastic, very much looking forward to my Midland version.  I was wondering, have they tooled for the possibility of a circa 1906 version with Johnson chimney and door?

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 21:28, Compound2632 said:

This is looking very encouraging. The smooth smokebox wrapper on the c. 1909 condition version is a boon for those such as me who will want to backdate the model to true Johnson condition. There looks like plenty of scope for ringing the changes so maybe one day we'll see an early condition condensing engine - just the thing for the south-of-the-river enthusiasts!

The one in the middle would take a Johnson chimney and smoke-box door?

I shall have to quiz you when the time comes.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The one in the middle would take a Johnson chimney and smoke-box door?

I shall have to quiz you when the time comes.

That's the one. The tricky bit may be finding a Johnson chimney of the right height - Craftsman used to do one for their kit; whether that's available at all I have not investigated.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's the one. The tricky bit may be finding a Johnson chimney of the right height - Craftsman used to do one for their kit; whether that's available at all I have not investigated.

Well, if you can find a GA, we can produce a 3D printed one!

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Edwardian said:

Good.  Do we need a dished Johnson smoke-box door while we're at it?

Again, castings are or were available but looking at the EPs, maybe a 3D printed replacement for the whole smokebox front? One would have to get one's hands on the production model to work out how things fit together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Again, castings are or were available but looking at the EPs, maybe a 3D printed replacement for the whole smokebox front? One would have to get one's hands on the production model to work out how things fit together.

It certainly looks as if the face is separate, but I guess one would want to reproduce the way it fits to the smoke-box barrel. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Something that was drawn to my attention is that Bachmann are really pushing the boat out by producing the first RTR loco designed for 18mm track. Not the present 18.2mm.

That is what they mean by "early EM" isn't it?

(If anybody has any doubt, that is an attempt at humour. I know what they mean!)

It looks lovely and I will be parting with some pennies when a Midland Railway period one arrives.

• Funny 1