Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

IMG_20191123_173413-01.jpeg

The livery sample of No. 1273 looks very fine, although I would like to make a few points, that with one exception are minor:

Bachmann's reference photo for this engine in this condition, at Buxton c. 1909, shows the engine with a flat Deeley smokebox door and a Johnson chimney. The model appears to have a dished Deeley smokebox door and chimney that can only be described as an abomination. It is parallel-sided but looks far too chubby to be a Deeley chimney - the curve under the lip is of too large radius too. If it is attempting to be a Johnson chimney, it totally fails to capture the subtle curves. 

The arrangement of the clack valve pipes on the model is found on many class members at various times but in the photo of 1273, it makes a reverse curve outwards to disappear through the footplating a few inches behind the front steps.

The lining on the tank front should be a plain rectangle, not the reverse curve to clear the boiler handrail. 

The outer beading on the front splasher should be polished brass, not yellow - the brass of the safety valve bonnet is very nicely done. Likewise, I believe the clack valve should be brass, although the pipe is correctly shown as copper. 

I suppose I don't hold out much hope for the chimney but the issues that merely involve paint should, I hope, be readily fixable.

Ref. S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 3 (Irwell Press, 2002).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Bachmann Europe, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019. 
Highlights included the all new Midland Railway 1532 Class Johnson 1P 0-4-4T's, GWR 9400 Class 0-6-0PT 'Panniers',  British Rail Class 24/1 and Quarry Hunslets, plus the Proses MPD / Engine Shed with Operating Doors and Lighting, as well as many other exciting developments cross the range.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The BR version should have the Stanier chimney. They would be swopped out from the late thirties onward. I doubt if any of these engines would have carried the Fowler chimneys in the BR period but I dare say that a few might. A matter of checking photos.

Cheers

In other words, a different chimney is needed for each version of the model. Who'd be a RTR manufacturer, eh?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

And if they ever got round to doing the Johnson version they'd need a different smokebox and chimney!

The point is that Bachmann's reference photo for No. 1273 shows a Johnson chimney and the first type of Deeley smokebox door - flat not dished. It might have been wiser to model an engine is slightly later condition, with number in large transfer numerals, rather than picking one with so many "transitional" features, or to go the whole hog and model one in full pre-1907 condition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2019 at 18:17, PenrithBeacon said:

The BR version should have the Stanier chimney. They would be swopped out from the late thirties onward. I doubt if any of these engines would have carried the Fowler chimneys in the BR period but I dare say that a few might. A matter of checking photos.

Cheers

Dad only has a couple of 1P 0-4-4Ts and they aren't brilliant

MR 58073 Bristol 7 9 1956.jpg

MR 044T 58077 Leeds Holbeck shed 19 7 1952.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid those two engines are of the 2228 Class, Dubs-built engines of 1895. They differ from the 1532 Class modelled by Bachmann in that they had higher side tanks of greater capacity, making the cab look squatter. I think that's particularly noticeable in the photo of 58073. They also had boilers pitched 3" higher than the earlier engines and, at least originally, 3" shorter chimneys. I'm not sure whether that was carried forward to their later chimneys. 

The 1532 Class engines that survived to BR were renumbered 58039-58072, though not all carried these numbers. Bachmann have chosen to model the last of these, the penultimate class member built, which was a relatively late survivor being withdrawn in Nov 1956. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Wright has had a chance to run two decorated samples on Little Blytham.  

John Isherwood later takes issue with the chimney height and could well have a point, although this is surely easily checked against a drawing (less easy is the profile of the thing).

I was surprised (shocked) to see a comment that traction tyres have been fitted.  Is this a first on a Bachmann model?  I am now reconsidering my pre-orders as rubber wheels are Satan's work.

Alan

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Buhar said:

I was surprised (shocked) to see a comment that traction tyres have been fitted.  Is this a first on a Bachmann model?  I am now reconsidering my pre-orders as rubber wheels are Satan's work.

Why, most European stock has tyres fitted, no complaints there, its been modus operandi for over 5 decades.

if they are done to European spec, not Hornby 1980’s spec they will be great.

my complaint would be the 1980’s style thick plastic insulator on the axles.. weve gone decades since those were cleverly hidden, but here they seem to have returned. I found more locos where the insulator on the wheels failed, taking it out of quarter more than I saw tyres causing a problem.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Why, most European stock has tyres fitted, no complaints there, its been modus operandi for over 5 decades.

if they are done to European spec, not Hornby 1980’s spec they will be great.

Well, in these days of limited production models and few / no spares; will we be able to buy replacement tyres from Bachmann in, say, 5 - 10 years time?

I suspect not !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Well, in these days of limited production models and few / no spares; will we be able to buy replacement tyres from Bachmann in, say, 5 - 10 years time?

I suspect not !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

tbh Bachmanns spares service is probably second to none...ive had spares from 30 years ago last year. Funnily enough those were plastic axles, used to allow exactly the finished wheel bosses I talked about.

Edited by adb968008