Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Lovely little fella...

1.jpg

The review will be in BRM December at the end of this month.

I'm looking at a photo of 1303 that, I suspect, was a reference for this version of the model and taken from virtually the same angle; taken on 9 June 1947, with the locomotive in ex-works condition. Apart from assembly issues (vacuum cylinder for the smokebox regulator not sitting correctly so that the link rod is bent, brake linkage drooping where it should be vertical) one thing that springs out at me is that the safety valve trumpet is too skinny - it looks like the type used by Johnson in the 1870s/early 80s rather than the wider-based type used on the 1532 Class from new. The whistle sits a bit high. There are various arrangements for the clack valve piping (and many engines with boilers without this fitting); on 1303 in this photo, the pipe makes a reverse curve to pass through the footplate just behind the footsteps, rather than diving behind the frames. These are of course relatively minor points on what is in general a superb-looking model. 

It's worth noting for LMS enthusiasts that this model represents 1303 in post-October 1938 condition, when it moved to Gloucester to work motor trains on the Nailsworth / Stroud branch. Photographs of it during its first stay on the Somerset & Dorset section, Oct 1933 - Oct 1938, working the Wells Branch motor train, show the smokebox numberplate with the Midland-style serif numbers rather than the 1936 LMS block style seen in post-1938 photographs; I also suspect that at this period, it would not have had the red-shaded lettering, though it is difficult to be confident from monochrome photos of a grubby engine.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

This photo?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192879732822

I think the letters are red shaded, but could be the black shaded transfers. It may be a case of where the red looks black on a B&W photo.

What one to get though? LMS version is most useful, but I have a feeling the Crimson version will fly off the shelves. At least I don't have to worry about a lack of suitable coaches for these. :D

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

This photo?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192879732822

I think the letters are red shaded, but could be the black shaded transfers. It may be a case of where the red looks black on a B&W photo.

Yes. The reproduction in the book is very much better than in that photo of a rather poor print; in the book it is very clear that the tank-side initials and bunker-side numerals are shaded red, also in a photo taken a month later - 5 July 1947 - during the brief period 1303 was at Derby as station pilot, before returning to Gloucester in October of that year.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/10/2020 at 17:45, Ian Hargrave said:

I want one.....and I want it NOW :biggrin_mini2:

4 hours ago, MJI said:

What, the sheep?

And this is a problem because..............

stream_img.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm looking at a photo of 1303 that, I suspect, was a reference for this version of the model and taken from virtually the same angle; taken on 9 June 1947, with the locomotive in ex-works condition. Apart from assembly issues (vacuum cylinder for the smokebox regulator not sitting correctly so that the link rod is bent, brake linkage drooping where it should be vertical) one thing that springs out at me is that the safety valve trumpet is too skinny - it looks like the type used by Johnson in the 1870s/early 80s rather than the wider-based type used on the 1532 Class from new. The whistle sits a bit high. There are various arrangements for the clack valve piping (and many engines with boilers without this fitting); on 1303 in this photo, the pipe makes a reverse curve to pass through the footplate just behind the footsteps, rather than diving behind the frames. These are of course relatively minor points on what is in general a superb-looking model. 

It's worth noting for LMS enthusiasts that this model represents 1303 in post-October 1938 condition, when it moved to Gloucester to work motor trains on the Nailsworth / Stroud branch. Photographs of it during its first stay on the Somerset & Dorset section, Oct 1933 - Oct 1938, working the Wells Branch motor train, show the smokebox numberplate with the Midland-style serif numbers rather than the 1936 LMS block style seen in post-1938 photographs; I also suspect that at this period, it would not have had the red-shaded lettering, though it is difficult to be confident from monochrome photos of a grubby engine.

There's a lovely photo on page 149 of Heart of the Somerset & Dorset Railway by Alan Hammond of 1303 at Wells Priory Road. It does rather support your views of the details Compers. However I don't think it detracts from what looks to be a lovely model. 

Interesting to note that the initial release includes two locos from the former S&DJR. 

Much appreciated. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Wait 50 years and two come along together - but I can't justify the expenditure having got my old friends from 1969

Ah, but yours are proper S&DJR 0-4-4Ts - Avonsides from 1877, No. 10 with its late-Johnson / Deeley boiler of 1907, No. 14A with its 1891 boiler - the A suffix was applied in Feb 1897; if we see both engines together we must be between March and December 1907 [D. Bradley & D. Milton, Somerset and Dorset Locomotive History (David & Charles, 1973) p. 207].

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, shunny said:

I wonder if we will get a SDJR blue version for the next collectors club model in November? 

As previously mentioned, it has to be the second No. 54, formerly MR 1532 Class No. 1305 (1907 number), sold to the S&DJR for £3,000 in January 1921, to replace the original No. 54 that had been withdrawn with damaged frames. There's variety: you could have it as delivered to the S&DJR in Midland red, lettered SDJR, or as subsequently repainted in blue.

Curiously, the replacement was older than the engine it replaced, old No. 54 having been one of the Vulcan batch of S&DJR 0-4-4Ts, delivered in January 1885, whereas its replacement had emerged from Derby works in April 1884. The Vulcan batch of 0-4-4Ts were essentially the same as the original Avonsides of 1877 but the engines being built for the Midland had progressed through a couple more iterations to the larger 1532 Class, as modelled by Bachmann.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but yours are proper S&DJR 0-4-4Ts - Avonsides from 1877, No. 10 with its late-Johnson / Deeley boiler of 1907, No. 14A with its 1891 boiler - the A suffix was applied in Feb 1897; if we see both engines together we must be between March and December 1907 [D. Bradley & D. Milton, Somerset and Dorset Locomotive History (David & Charles, 1973) p. 207].

Thanks for your dates. I am afraid that I have never been that careful about that aspect. I don't even like running trains. I just enjoy making things. I was probably more adventurous fifty years ago, when the bulk of my S&D stock was built, than I am now. My Highbridge Wharf's little brother, Old Brue Quay, is still creeping forward with the Highbridge Anthracite Fuel Works and a mini version of John Bland's vast sawmill and timber yard under construction. Although I haven't a clue what some of the structures on the outside of the solid fuel factory actually did.

Thanks for your interest and 'thumb(s) up.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, shunny said:

I wonder if we will get a SDJR blue version for the next collectors club model in November? 

Almost certainly at some point. I think it's going to be that or GWR 9466 as preserved.

I've already decided on an LMS version. Possibly the MR crimson. Three might be a bit too many for me, but it's something different so who knows.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Two Collectors Club editions then:wub:

Theres quite a lot “in stock” in the club at the moment...

a quick look saw:

Weathered 4MT

Preserved green 9F

EWS class 47

SNCB class 90

DRS class 57

J72 BR Green

Plus coaches and wagons.

I wouldn’t get hopes up yet, I was all set for a lined out LNWR 1054 Coal tank...

As the MR and BR ones aren’t out till December / Jan, I’m not sure they would do a collectors one ahead of those.

That said they’ve recently done some 40’s so they could surprise us with one, or 55 or 66, or a mk1 BG.

I’d imagine at some point an SDJR 1P is on the cards... Bachmann has a soft spot for SDJR and GCR stuff, it’s an obvious fit.

Edited by adb968008

• 3 weeks later...