Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

According to the Hornby mag review, the model is fitted with standard metal tyred driving wheels, not traction tyres on one set. There is a traction tyred set in the detailing parts, for those who want to run it with a higher number of coaches. In the mag test, it ran on the standard wheels, with 4 coaches, on the flat.

Edit. Have just received the autumn/winter Bachmann Times which confirms that the 1P is fitted with standard metal tyres driving wheels and an optional single set of traction tyres.

Edited by rembrow
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The red version does indeed look lovely. I am not sure those clerestories would have been a typical branch line train of the period. A few Slaters 6 wheelers would be more likely. The clerestories were more of a main line vehicle.

As I have a collection of MR carriages, including 6 wheelers, with a layout on the way to run them, the loco is tempting.

• Like 2

I was intrigued to see that the front coupling wasn't fitted (as I expect they will be in production models). However, a look Bachmann's website shows that they do this for both ends in the display pictures. They were also omitted on the exhibition display models. It clearly improves the look of the model, removing the too obvious tension lock coupling. I have never understood why the Hornby Dublo coupling - also used by Peco - didn't find favour.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Jol Wilkinson said:

I have never understood why the Hornby Dublo coupling - also used by Peco - didn't find favour.

It did with me - I have many hundreds of them on my stock; more recently,  I've adapted them to fit in NEM pockets.

IMG_0819.JPG.9d0a237d54bcab87d6107aa8a896e487.JPG

Version 1

IMG_0824.JPG.a465ecf9318b04f23ab8a73f30837048.JPG

Version 21246682350_FITTINGTOWAGONSFORPECOR2COUPLINGS(EXTRACT).JPG.26c8101c8993c71c97bf3cebde88fc10.JPG

The 'stem' in version 2  is 2.5 x 1.5mm. brass; bent and soldered to the coupling head. It pivots on a short length of wire inserted into a hole drilled through the centre of the NEM pocket. The wire can be pulled out to remove the coupling, and the NEM pocket then functions as intended.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

just has the standard "electric motor getting revved up and down" music and a guy talking about the model

So that means both the MR versions have the revised chimney, which still looks oddly-proportioned for a Johnson chimney - almost as if it was on upside-down! I'll have to wait to see one in the flesh I think. Hopefully not too long now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

The red version does indeed look lovely. I am not sure those clerestories would have been a typical branch line train of the period. A few Slaters 6 wheelers would be more likely. The clerestories were more of a main line vehicle.

As I have a collection of MR carriages, including 6 wheelers, with a layout on the way to run them, the loco is tempting.

It does depend when and where you are. For the 1908/9-ish condition of the model, in the West Riding you could have the close-coupled sets of square-light clerestories (Branchlines do a range of sides to adapt the Ratio carriages); in the Manchester and Birmingham areas, the Bain arc-roof suburbans (per Ratio), elsewhere, a mixture of six-wheel and bogie arc roof carriages. In the London area the sets of 4-wheel carriages on the Moorgate services had not yet been replaced but for those one would want a condensing engine.

They're not really branch line engines in Midland days - on the Midland's few true branch lines you'd usually find full-cab 0-6-0Ts of the 1102 and 1377 classes.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It does depend when and where you are. For the 1908/9-ish condition of the model, in the West Riding you could have the close-coupled sets of square-light clerestories (Branchlines do a range of sides to adapt the Ratio carriages); in the Manchester and Birmingham areas, the Bain arc-roof suburbans (per Ratio), elsewhere, a mixture of six-wheel and bogie arc roof carriages. In the London area the sets of 4-wheel carriages on the Moorgate services had not yet been replaced but for those one would want a condensing engine.

They're not really branch line engines in Midland days - on the Midland's few true branch lines you'd usually find full-cab 0-6-0Ts of the 1102 and 1377 classes.

I still don't think that the two carriages illustrated really represent a "typical" branch line train of the period.

My new project is based loosely on the Sheffield District Railway, so it is a branch, albeit a double track one to a big city. An 0-4-4T on 6 wheelers is what they ran on exotic services like Sheffield to Edwinstowe and return.

But you are quite right. Loco duties and stock varied enormously from place to place and date to date. Mine may also put in an appearance on Narrow Road and will need to haul 7 and 8 bogie carriages on commuter services, so I hope it has the guts for that. The carriages are all Ratio, so fairly light. I won't be using the traction tyres as we are working in EM and the wheels may need replacing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

here's the thing, old bogie coaches look nicer and aren't used enough so they used them for this....and probably just what they had to hand

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

here's the thing, old bogie coaches look nicer and aren't used enough so they used them for this....and probably just what they had to hand

They are nice carriages. No doubt about that. They look good with the loco too. To tell the truth, just about any Midland loco with a train of Midland carriages looks good to me! I was simply questioning the use of the phrase "typical branch line train".

I wish I hadn't bothered mentioning the train now but I have ordered 2 of the locos, one for me, one for somebody else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I have never understood why the Hornby Dublo coupling - also used by Peco - didn't find favour

Other way round I believe: from discussions on previous threads I gather it was a Peco invention licensed by HD.  Probably it lost out when Triang took over Hornby and continued their own design.

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

A few Slaters 6 wheelers would be more likely.

But not in the Peco range.  The clerestories (sorry cle-restories) used look like the samples on the Peco website, so probably just taken from stores for the shoot.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

But not in the Peco range.  The clerestories (sorry cle-restories) used look like the samples on the Peco website, so probably just taken from stores for the shoot.

No they’ve used their Ratio ones they produce understandably ;) 

https://peco-uk.com/collections/oo-coach-kits

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

No they’ve used their Ratio ones they produce understandably ;) 

https://peco-uk.com/collections/oo-coach-kits

The commentary refers to Parkside clerestory coaches, so confusion reigns.

I expect the majority of buyers of this model won't want to build/paint/line period carriage coach kits, so the Hattons Generic 6 wheel coaches will probably meet most peoples' needs.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The commentary refers to Parkside clerestory coaches, so confusion reigns.

It may because they’ve merged the Parkside & Ratio ranges since acquiring Parkside and moved the rolling stock from the Ratio brand into Parkside and confused the narrator ;) 

Interestingly the website still refers to Ratio coaches!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I was intrigued to see that the front coupling wasn't fitted (as I expect they will be in production models). However, a look Bachmann's website shows that they do this for both ends in the display pictures. They were also omitted on the exhibition display models. It clearly improves the look of the model, removing the too obvious tension lock coupling. I have never understood why the Hornby Dublo coupling - also used by Peco - didn't find favour.

I understand that HD paid Peco a royalty for the use of their coupler design. Legend has it, a penny a pair, which helped lay the foundations of the Peco empire.

That would have skewed the decision regarding future coupler choice when HD was bought out.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It may because they’ve merged the Parkside & Ratio ranges since acquiring Parkside and moved the rolling stock from the Ratio brand into Parkside and confused the narrator ;) 

Interestingly the website still refers to Ratio coaches!

Looking at recent Peco adverts they appear to have rationalised their kit brands to bring similarly themed products together under each one.

Rolling stock: Parkside, 

Railway buildings, generally steam era: Ratio,

More modern (railway and non-railway) buildings: Wills.

There's clearly some likelihood of overlap between the latter two, but it seems a sensible move.

John

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I don't have any problem with available carriages that are vaguely suitable rather than having to obtain or build some especially for a few seconds of video. I would have done the same in their position.

If the video had said "We have paired the loco with a couple of carriages of Midland origin from our Parkside range" I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. I was just concerned that people might think that those carriages (even ignoring the LMS livery) really do make a "typical branch line train" when I don't think I have ever seen that combination on a branch line train.

I really do regret mentioning it. I thought I was being helpful in suggesting that people who want to create an authentic branch line train might want to look elsewhere for their carriages but next time I have any such thoughts, I will keep them to myself.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

still don't think that the two carriages illustrated really represent a "typical" branch line train of the period.

I think it was a useful point to make and done constructively too. 

25 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I really do regret mentioning it.

Don’t it was useful ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I understand that HD paid Peco a royalty for the use of their coupler design. Legend has it, a penny a pair, which helped lay the foundations of the Peco empire.

That would have skewed the decision regarding future coupler choice when HD was bought out.

John

I didn’t know this so thanks for the info.  I guess Peco is the “Pritchard Patent Product Company”, so I guess they may well have a patent on the design.  I did a quick search on espacenet and found the classic N gauge coupler, but no luck with the classic Peco/HD 

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search/family/023361295/publication/GB1413646A?q=pn%3DGB1413646A

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond

1 minute ago, Simond said:

I didn’t know this so thanks for the info.  I guess Peco is the “Pritchard Patent Product Company”, so I guess they may well have a patent on the design.

They did indeed, and if you look at the underside of any Hornby Dublo metal coupling you will find the patent numbers stamped therein.

John Isherwood.