Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2020 at 17:22, Captain Kernow said:

Looking at that video, the loco does seem to run nice and smoothly.

However, am I wrong in thinking that the coupling rods are 'wobbling' up and down as they go round?

The video does appear to show an elliptical movement of the rods, not dissimilar to the DJM designed 14/58xx, but nowhere near as pronounced. If that perception is correct it’s likely to be an easy fix either bushing the existing rods or using Gibson replacement etched rods.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There you are, they could have done the 12 ton wagon and got a bit nearer, though their RCH 1923 specification 12 tonner is in post-war condition (clips holding the capping strip in place) so should only really be seen in grot. 

However, I'd be pretty confident that those three wagons never ran in service painted like that, even in the hire fleet - it's just for the photo.

To cap it all, I don't think they've even got the livery right, with the double-shading of the large lettering. I'm pretty confident the shading is just black - there's just some highlights from the gloss finish. 

You are probably right to say that they never ran in service – there are no visible running numbers. The photo is dated 1909. I have bleated long enough about the need for a model wagon from that time. Especially now, with pre-grouping coming more and more into fashion. Bachmann’s view is that later wagons in pre-grouping liveries are “better than nothing”. It’s difficult to argue with that. Even I’m not old enough to remember pre-grouping wagons!

The 8-ton wagon is finished in maroon and is still available for purchase by club members.  I dare say I shall make you apoplectic by suggesting that they are very pretty wagons and make a nice set. :D

Gloucester 8 Ton Wagon.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rail-Online said:

Gosh those coupling rods on the 1P with their enormous bosses are truely horrible!

They really let down a lovely looking model.

Tony 

Really? 

I think that's a bit on the strong side. I don't think they are any worse than the accompanying Midland locos from Bachmann..

What's the alternative? 

Rob. 

31-740KSF.DETAIL_01.jpg.666005cf09f9e43ad2a39ae8abeacd2a.jpg

Railway-Photo-LMS-1P-1305-Highbridge-SDJR-Johnson.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

What's the alternative? 

Rob. 

31-740KSF.DETAIL_01.jpg.666005cf09f9e43ad2a39ae8abeacd2a.jpg

Railway-Photo-LMS-1P-1305-Highbridge-SDJR-Johnson.jpg

I don’t think they’re that bad either. Fastest fix will be toning them down with a simple wash of paint.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2020 at 18:58, NHY 581 said:

What's the alternative? 

Interesting question. There are 8'0" coupling rods in the Alan Gibson range, Item 4M85, designed for GER 2-4-2s - I don't know enough about those to know if they'd look right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2020 at 14:16, No Decorum said:

The 8-ton wagon is finished in maroon and is still available for purchase by club members.  I dare say I shall make you apoplectic by suggesting that they are very pretty wagons and make a nice set. :D

Gloucester 8 Ton Wagon.jpg

You should show greater respect for my wellbeing!

• Funny 2

48 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Hornby Magazine video:

Thanks for posting. I’ll stick to my view that the crimson model shown earlier has coupling rods which don’t remain horizontal as they rotate. It is difficult to make out in this video but, as far as I can tell, The coupling rods on this one are all right.

• Like 2

I have just read the article in Railway Modeller on the 0-4-4T. It looks absolutely beautiful but I don't think the chimney is correct. I am talking about the Johnson chimney and to my eye it tapers in the wrong direction. Johnson chimneys gently taper outwards from a place just below the rim. According to the images in RM, the chimney on the model has a slight reverse taper.  It's a shame because Bachman have done a wonderful job otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, John-Miles said:

I have just read the article in Railway Modeller on the 0-4-4T. It looks absolutely beautiful but I don't think the chimney is correct. I am talking about the Johnson chimney and to my eye it tapers in the wrong direction. Johnson chimneys gently taper outwards from a place just below the rim. According to the images in RM, the chimney on the model has a slight reverse taper.  It's a shame because Bachman have done a wonderful job otherwise.

I believe you are right there. This chimney first appeared in photos purporting to be of the sound-fitted version of 1273, previous photos of the Midland-liveried model showed what looked like a Deeley chimney. So I wonder if the chimney was re-done in a hurry in response to criticism. Here's a crop from the photo that Bachmann used in their early publicity, showing 1273 in the "transitional" condition that the model seeks to represent, alongside a crop from Bachmann's current publicity photo of the model:

975948801_1532ClassNo.1273atBuxtoncrop.jpg.9918b68ba7a945a627b31a0843f9ea30.jpg2606539_31-740mr1532(1p)tank1273midlandrailwaycrimsonlake-11846-extra-largecrop.jpg.a841c4a68a7b8f4c19483b0dd1de223c.jpg

Well, one has to leave something for the aftermarket manufacturers to get their teeth into!

(I'm starting to notice the un-Edwardian rivets on the model now, too, along with the spurious concave curve of the tank-front lining around the grommet that holds the end of the handrail. To be fair, the splasher and valence rivets are present on 1303 in the condition modelled by Bachmann, and also 58072 - possibly not on the valence.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I believe you are right there. This chimney first appeared in photos purporting to be of the sound-fitted version of 1273, previous photos of the Midland-liveried model showed what looked like a Deeley chimney. So I wonder if the chimney was re-done in a hurry in response to criticism. Here's a crop from the photo that Bachmann used in their early publicity, showing 1273 in the "transitional" condition that the model seeks to represent, alongside a crop from Bachmann's current publicity photo of the model:

975948801_1532ClassNo.1273atBuxtoncrop.jpg.9918b68ba7a945a627b31a0843f9ea30.jpg2606539_31-740mr1532(1p)tank1273midlandrailwaycrimsonlake-11846-extra-largecrop.jpg.a841c4a68a7b8f4c19483b0dd1de223c.jpg

Well, one has to leave something for the aftermarket manufacturers to get their teeth into!

(I'm starting to notice the un-Edwardian rivets on the model now, too, along with the spurious concave curve of the tank-front lining around the grommet that holds the end of the handrail. To be fair, the splasher and valence rivets are present on 1303 in the condition modelled by Bachmann, and also 58072 - possibly not on the valence.)

Unimpressed by the shape of the chimney in the colour illustration. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, spackz said:

Evening all,

How common would have been to see the condensing types around the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire area towards the end of their lives?

Thanks in advance

S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 3 (Irwell Press, 2002) gives allocations for November 1945, at which date there were 47 1532 Class 0-4-4Ts remaining. From this, seven were allocated to sheds in Derbys/Notts; all were Belpaire engines and none were condensor-fitted:

16A Nottingham: 1344

16D Mansfield: 1297, 1341, 1350

17A Derby: 1370, 1373

17B Burton: 1357

The Mansfield and Burton engines were fitted with the vacuum-controlled regulator equipment for working motor trains.

Allocations are also given for December 1955, by which time of the handful of engines left, none were in the Derbys/Notts area. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 3 (Irwell Press, 2002) gives allocations for November 1945, at which date there were 47 1532 Class 0-4-4Ts remaining. From this, seven were allocated to sheds in Derbys/Notts; all were Belpaire engines and none were condensor-fitted:

16A Nottingham: 1344

16D Mansfield: 1297, 1341, 1350

17A Derby: 1370, 1373

17B Burton: 1357

The Mansfield and Burton engines were fitted with the vacuum-controlled regulator equipment for working motor trains.

Allocations are also given for December 1955, by which time of the handful of engines left, none were in the Derbys/Notts area. 

Thanks mate,

I may wait until they do an early emblem without condenser pipes then.

Edited by spackz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, spackz said:

Thanks mate,

I may wait until they do an early emblem with condenser pipes then.

You mean, without condenser pipes, I assume?

There are plenty of permutations for Bachmann to work through, both in terms of combinations of boiler, condensing equipment, and VCR, and in terms of livery. 1303 only scratches the surface of LMS black liveries!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

There are plenty of permutations for Bachmann to work through, both in terms of combinations of boiler, condensing equipment, and VCR, and in terms of livery. 1303 only scratches the surface of LMS black liveries!

Doesn't mean Bachmann will do them. Someone there only seems to like plain black for LMS. Still waiting for a red compound, the 2-4-2 tank should have been lined, this 1P should be lined. These were the more usual liveries, and harder for the average Joe to create, anybody can spray everything plain black. 

Signed

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

this 1P should be lined.

For 1303, Bachmann have followed a 1947 photo of the locomotive unlined with red-shaded transfer LMS and numerals and 1936 block numerals on the smokebox numberplate. It's unclear whether this engine achieved this livery state at a works visit in 1947 or on its transfer from Highbridge to Gloucester in 1938. No doubt engines repainted from 1928 into the early 30s usually had red lining but I think the evidence seems to indicate that red lining was discontinued at least from the outbreak of war. 

So the Bachmann model is incorrect for the period 1928-1938 but that's not what it's seeking to represent.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 2