Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

10 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

The Maroon 1000 was originally a limited edition sold as part of the National Collection 'collection'. I think they either over estimated demand or pitched the initial price too high hence the appearance of the model in the main range. I stand to be corrected but I am pretty sure the main range release is a simple repackaging of the unsold NRM stock. I bought my 1000 (from the NRM at full price :() precisely because it fits in with my broadly late '50's to mid '60's theme - it comes out on 'specials' and looks right at home on a mixed rake of maroon ex LMS and BR Mk's1.

Well no, the Bachmann range version is the left hand drive version, so boiler fittings, cab interior, chimney, tender, different frames, dome. Definitely not just a repackaged NRM model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Brocp said:

Well no, the Bachmann range version is the left hand drive version, so boiler fittings, cab interior, chimney, tender, different frames, dome. Definitely not just a repackaged NRM model.

I think @MikeParkin65 was referring to the model of 1000 as sold in the Thames-Clyde Express pack, 30-170-LN. Was this otherwise available separately? 

Definitely crimson lake, not maroon, though the distinction was always supposed to be one of nomenclature rather than colour.

The Bachmann main range model is intended to represent an LMS Standard Compound, not a Midland or Deeley Compound, so I suppose has smaller driving wheels as well as the other significant differences listed by @Brocp.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

1000 is rather excessive for a limited edition - more usually its around 540. Granted it was one of the earlier releases by the NRM so they could be excused for misjudging the market.

It is however still restricted in its sphere of operation. By contrast the latest model to be announced (Hardwicke) not only has the previously released Coal Tank to keep it company, there is also Hattons LNWR liveried 'Generic' coaches plus 'Lucknow' due from Rails. This allows the model to also appeal to those looking to model the LNWR as well as those wanting to model the 1950s / 1960s / 1970s scene.

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but in my view a Midland liveried loco does certainly not look 'right' haling a bunch of BR liveried Stainer coaches or Mk1s. The mismatch between the extensively lined out loco and plain coaches in a similar shade does not work from a visual perspective.

It’s an interesting argument to make saying MR 1000 looks ‘wrong’ hauling maroon ex LMS and Mk1 coaches - which did of course happen from 1959 to 1961 whereas you will happily consider the forthcoming ‘Precedent’ hauling rakes of Hattons fictitious carriages!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Hm. I avoided the red Compound simply because it had the same running number as the old Hornby Compound, which I had no intention of dumping. 

Think that was the issue for many, it came too soon after the Hornby one had been bought by nearly everyone who wanted 1000. On the issue of what to run it with the obvious is now double heading with Hardwicke on a rake of blue/grey mk 1s. Have commented on the Hardwicke thread that a limited twin pack of the pair of locos would be an attractive item for the NRM to sell.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It’s an interesting argument to make saying MR 1000 looks ‘wrong’ hauling maroon ex LMS and Mk1 coaches - which did of course happen from 1959 to 1961 whereas you will happily consider the forthcoming ‘Precedent’ hauling rakes of Hattons fictitious carriages!

When I say 'Looks right' I mean as in what sits there before your eyes, not as in what 'looks' 100% accurate based on the history books.

An important consideration with Hardwicke is its a relatively small and rather ornate loco styling wise - and thus the carriages it hauls look far better if they share that same ethos so the loco will look much better paired with LNWR liveried stock (generic or not) than late LMS stock or Mk1s.

Similarly a Southern Olive liveried terrier with Maunsels or a SECR liveried P/ H hauling birdcage stock is less visually appealing than it could be because the stock itself seems far too long for the loco. In the absence of a shorter bogie vehicle Hattons 'generic' coaches are going to be a better visual fit.

As for number Number 1000, while a larger loco and less ornate physically, its MR livery of lined maroon demands something similar to match in terms of coaching stock - so would go well with the early LMS or late MR panelled carriages fully lined out but is less appealing when hitched to the final LMS livery or Mk1s

• Like 1

Ramsay's British Model Trains catalogue states clearly 1000 was exclusive to the NRM then lists four issues of it; the original, the "platinum" with a plinth, the Thames-Clyde train set of 2014 ( which used up existing stock as noted above) and then the loco on its own ex train set (listed as NRM Sheldon) which must be some record for a model being tried to be sold; separately, set, and separately again. Oddly that is dated 2012 which must be erroneous. Only the "platinum'' one is specified as being limited in number (500) so it was probably a case of the NRM falling into the trap of having a further batch made when the first had virtually sold out only to find the demand had been satisfied.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Ramsay's British Model Trains catalogue states clearly 1000 was exclusive to the NRM then lists four issues of it; the original, the "platinum" with a plinth, the Thames-Clyde train set of 2014 ( which used up existing stock as noted above) and then the loco on its own ex train set (listed as NRM Sheldon) which must be some record for a model being tried to be sold; separately, set, and separately again. Oddly that is dated 2012 which must be erroneous. Only the "platinum'' one is specified as being limited in number (500) so it was probably a case of the NRM falling into the trap of having a further batch made when the first had virtually sold out only to find the demand had been satisfied.

Anything that makes a Midland-liveried locomotive readily available at a reasonable price has to be a good thing!

(Mind you, I splashed out c. £200 for it when it first came out but then I'm in the target sucker group!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, johnd said:

I see that this another topic that has wandered of the subject !

Let's pull it back, here's a suggestion that arrival is very imminent:

https://cheltenhammodelcentre.com/locomotives~1069-c/Bachmann-31-740-midland-railway-1532-class-0-4-4-1273-midland-crimson~31740-p.html

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Within the next two weeks one would hope. 

Hopefully, I will need to get my circle of track out for Christmas morning. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

On 27/11/2020 at 12:05, phil-b259 said:

The other big omission is anything in the early LMS freight livery (unlined black with large numbers on the tanks / tender and a small pseudo LMS red plate on the bunker / cabside.

As others have said with the higher prices these days I am having to be a bit more cautious in what I buy - and WW2 austerity LMS liveries are not something I will be spending money on.

I'm quite surprised they've not done that one as well, with the 3F, 4F and ROD as prime candidates- I did buy one of their LNWR-liveried RODs earlier this year with just that thought in mind, although it might just stay as is, and some of my stash of suitable wagon kits might get built in pre-grouping rather than LMS colours instead when I get round to them.

To be honest, I wonder if there might be a degree of method in Bachmann's madness of releasing LMS locos in WW2/postwar unlined black- That late LMS wartime-to-nationalisation period is a market niche that Bachmann occupy quite strongly with the Ivatt Moguls, Ivatt and Fairburn tanks in their catalogue.

Having all of those in my collection, as much as I'd like a Crimson Lake Compound, I had no doubts about buying a black one to keep the Ivatts and Fairburn company, and I've only been put off the black 0-4-4T so far because I allowed myself to get distracted by both the Midland and Collector's Club S&DJR versions and really couldn't justify all three at once. It's fair to say my officially pre-war LMS modelling can be a bit flexible both in geographic location and period....

Edited by Invicta
missed a word
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Wish I knew how to do things like that, instead of just saying "it's out there, find it".

1. On Youtube press 'Share'.
  2. Then press 'Copy'.
  3. Then start a post on the relevant thread on RMWeb. Paste the link. If the software is working correctly the video should automatically embed in the post.

4 hours ago, tractionman said:

Let's pull it back, here's a suggestion that arrival is very imminent:

https://cheltenhammodelcentre.com/locomotives~1069-c/Bachmann-31-740-midland-railway-1532-class-0-4-4-1273-midland-crimson~31740-p.html

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Keith

4 hours later and the release date has been put BACK a month to 31/12/2020 ! 

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

The model has had a release date of Nov/Dec on the Bachmann website since September.

Yes but the dates I quoted were from a retailers website today which would have been quoted from updates provided by Bachmann !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Picking list received for these yesterday so they're expected by the end of the week! Keep an eye on your local who should be receiving them around that time too! :-) 

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1