Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, scots region said:

'You boy! What day be it?' 

Hopefully, Bachmann 1P day. 

Any more news on the arrival of these little chaps? 

Rob. 

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Hopefully, Bachmann 1P day. 

Any more news on the arrival of these little chaps? 

Rob. 

There are at least 2 sellers advertising them on eBay, I'm not sure if they are in stock or not.

PS, one seller spells Bachmann with 1 n.

Edited by daltonparva

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2020 at 12:05, phil-b259 said:

Snip<

The other big omission is anything in the early LMS freight livery (unlined black with large numbers on the tanks / tender and a small pseudo LMS red plate on the bunker / cabside.

Well actually.....

Bachmann did the 4F in this livery about 2 years ago.  I'm not surprised you missed it, as everyone else did too, they were bolted to our shelves!  Incredibly slow sellers.

Edit - I think I miss-recalled this - it was Midland livery, with the crest on the cab side, my apologies.  Still awful seller though!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Edit - I think I miss-recalled this - it was Midland livery, with the crest on the cab side, my apologies.  Still awful seller though!

Indeed - but at the time it was released there was no suitable RTR stock to go with it

A few years later a Midland Railway brake van appeared but thats about it.

To make such a humdrum loco 'work' as something people will want to buy Bachmann needed to follow it up with some other Midland items (i.e. some MR passenger stock and a ordinary MR passenger loco) allowing a proper Midland Railway model to be made*

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well actually.....

Bachmann did the 4F in this livery about 2 years ago.  I'm not surprised you missed it, as everyone else did too, they were bolted to our shelves!  Incredibly slow sellers.

As nice a model as it is, being plain black it lacked the 'shiny thing' appeal for collectors that something like the SECR-liveried version of the C had, and in isolation, with a lack of suitable RTR Midland stock to run behind it, as Phil suggests, it wasn't a particularly useful model in layout terms, so it's no surprise it stayed bolted to the shelves- (I suspect the LNWR version of the ROD 2-8-0 might fall into the same category?)

Certainly I only bought mine because I had a reasonable number of kit-built pre-grouping wagons to run with it, and because the trader I bought it from at a show was selling them at a healthy discount.

Even then it was bought with half-a-mind to tweak it into the early LMS goods livery to match the AIrfix 4F I repainted about 20 years ago, until I picked up a secondhand MR-liveried OO Works 2F last year to give it a shed-mate, so it'll stay Midland now.

14 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Indeed - but at the time it was released there was no suitable RTR stock to go with it

To make such a humdrum loco 'work' as something people will want to buy Bachmann needed to follow it up with some other Midland items (i.e. some MR passenger stock and a ordinary MR passenger loco) allowing a proper Midland Railway model to be made*

The 1P maybe moves that on a bit towards an easy way into pre-grouping modelling- If you've got the Bachmann MR-liveried 4F and brake van and a few suitable PO wagons,  add the 1P, some Hattons Genesis coaches when they appear next year (or the Ratio MR coach kits), and a few Slaters Midland wagon kits, and you've got a basic starting point for a small Midland layout without too much in the way of kit-building. 

Edited by Invicta
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2020 at 18:48, Steamport Southport said:

Christmas Day?

In stock at Kernow.

Jason

Now showing sold out....

• Like 1

Had a BR version delivered by my local model shop owner on his way home, decoder fitted , tomorrow will be setting up the decoder and running to my likening and giving it a running in.

Superb customer service ! Thanks Jim.

Edited by johnd

On 03/12/2020 at 18:48, Steamport Southport said:

Christmas Day?

In stock at Kernow.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/606/OO-Gauge

Other retailers are available as the Beeb says....

Jason

I've got one on preorder through rails of Sheffield...still says pending...

I'm checking it every 30 seconds tho , you know, just in case

Edited by Isambard Smith
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2020 at 22:29, phil-b259 said:

Commercially speaking, maybe it doesn't need to "work". Sales of pre-group-liveried locos don't seem to have been unduly damaged by it in the past, and probably won't in this case.

Any shortage of established or would-be Midland modellers will be more than balanced by collectors, those with freelance pick'n'mix "preservation" layouts, and the Rule One mob. Without them, would it even be viable to produce r-t-r locos in the numbers true modellers of any pre-group company would buy?  

Another boost for Hatton's forthcoming "Genesis" coaches.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Commercially speaking, maybe it doesn't need to "work". Sales of pre-group-liveried locos don't seem to have been unduly damaged by it in the past, and probably won't in this case.

Any shortage of established or would-be Midland modellers will be more than balanced by collectors, those with freelance pick'n'mix "preservation" layouts, and the Rule One mob. Without them, would it even be viable to produce r-t-r locos in the numbers true modellers of any pre-group company would buy?  

Another boost for Hatton's forthcoming "Genesis" coaches.

John

Also, even for anyone thinking "one day ill do a midland layout",  they're gonna be planning ahead: "better get that loco on preorder now cos in 20 yrs time when the coaches for it become available ill look pretty daft if I've nowt to pull 'em, so ill get one before they sell out..."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Evidence suggests otherwise - see the comments earlier about the 4F being an extremely slow seller.

The 1P being in a more attractive livery is less affected by this problem, although the prospect of suitable coaching stock from Hattons will have also helped.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Evidence suggests otherwise - see the comments earlier about the 4F being an extremely slow seller.

The 1P being in a more attractive livery is less affected by this problem, although the prospect of suitable coaching stock from Hattons will have also helped.

Well...its a black 060 tender engine.  And thats an accurate description of 85% of all steam locos.

And there's two types of black 060 engines;

There's the early ones with smaller boilers and bigger domes, and later ones with bigger boilers and very small domes or a bucket. And that's basically it...

I mean, how many near identical engines does anyone really need?  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Isambard Smith said:

I mean, how many near identical engines does anyone really need?  

Get out that old Ian Allan ABC and you'll soon realise the answer is "very many". What you really don't need are pacifics, unless you've got a lot of space.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4