Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

There seems to be some confusion regarding how many of these were built!

Some say a class of 65 others say 115 and Bachmann's write up say 112.

Can anyone confirm the truth please?

The Bachmann model represents the 1532 Class, 65 engines built in five batches 1881-1886, and the 1823 and 1833 Classes, 50 engines built in four batches 1889-1893. These engines were all visually identical as built (apart from condensing equipment), the difference being that the 1532 Class were built with 17" x 24" cylinders, whereas the later classes had 18" x 24" cylinders from new and some batches had 150 psi rather than 140 psi boiler pressure. These differences were ironed out over the years as the earlier engines were fitted with 18" x 24" cylinders (mostly in the 1890s) and with boiler changes - but I'm afraid I haven't worked out from the published information whether they gravitated towards 140 psi or 150 psi as the standard. The 1532 Class engines were all built at Derby, the early 1880s being a time of industrial depression, whereas thirty of the later engines were built in Glasgow.

I've no idea how Bachmann have come to lose three - I suspect someone couldn't read someone else's handwriting.

Edited by Compound2632
Typos corrected
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Just been asked by Bachmann to pay for the SDJR blue ltd ed one.

Ditto.  Worth mentioning the following from the eMail:

”we shall be making the items live on our website to allow other members to purchase any remaining stock from midday on Monday 14th December”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daltonparva said:

Just been asked by Bachmann to pay for the SDJR blue ltd ed one.

Yes, had the same email this morning, and just paid for it- Still waiting on news of the MR one I'd ordered from Rails, but as said a few posts back, seems they're inundated with pre-orders, so not panicking just yet!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very excited.......I have just checked and I have paid for my S&DJR  blue example this morning so much excitement.  

This is on top of the arrival of 58072  earlier today...Not seen though as Santa's little helper in the form of the Memsahib has spirited it away for delivery on Christmas morning. 

It appears to be very much a 1P Christmas morning......

Need to settle down now before I'm sick. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Philou said:

Not feeling baaaaad, I hope :)

Nope. Calmed down now. 

The arrival of the Blue S&D example is something a bit special, sad but true. For more years that I care to remember I have wanted such a loco. I never did complete the brass kits of the Avonside 0.4.4T and sold them on, unbuilt. 

One thing for sure, this won't end up on a shelf. This loco will form the basis of a small 1920s S&D  layout.  

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

Can I just reveal my complete ignorance of the history of this class but...would they have been found on goods trains in the BR era? (and yes I am a big fan of Rule 1 as well)

Hi Chris,

In terms of the S&DJR, I don't recall seeing an image on a goods only service. 58072 worked the Bridgewater branch and there are images of mixed trains up until closure featuring 072 and classmates. 

However, I accept your challenge......

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Can I just reveal my complete ignorance of the history of this class but...would they have been found on goods trains in the BR era? (and yes I am a big fan of Rule 1 as well)

Most certainly on the S&D Wells and Bridgwater branches. A very attractive train is the mixed trains seen on the Wells branch comprising a single coach and handful of wagons.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Most certainly on the S&D Wells and Bridgwater branches. A very attractive train is the mixed trains seen on the Wells branch comprising a single coach and handful of wagons.

Jerry

4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Chris,

In terms of the S&DJR, I don't recall seeing an image on a goods only service. 58072 worked the Bridgewater branch and there are images of mixed trains up until closure featuring 072 and classmates. 

However, I accept your challenge......

Rob. 

That'll do me then....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Generally speaking, the few survivors to the early BR period were retained for working specific branch lines - some motor trains, others not, but universally passenger, or as Jerry says, mixed, but not goods trains. In the places where they worked, you want a 3F for that. Fortunately Bachmann provide!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Generally speaking, the few survivors to the early BR period were retained for working specific branch lines - some motor trains, others not, but universally passenger, or as Jerry says, mixed, but not goods trains. In the places where they worked, you want a 3F for that. Fortunately Bachmann provide!

Indeed they do....just needs a little friend now...

47228797562_bdc350c8fa_z.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Interesting point about 0-4-4 tanks on goods trains.

One morning in my short-trousered youth, the up goods (Exmouth Jn to Yeovil) arrived at Axminster with a M7 in place of the usual 700, which had been failed for a leak of some sort. The driver was a friendly sort and, while the fireman topped up the tanks, we lads learned that he would have turned the M7 to run bunker first if he'd had enough notice. He reckoned they had a fair bit more pulling power that way round.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Red one arrived earlier (from TMC if anyone else is waiting). Paid for the Blue one as well.

I was only interested in the LMS version originally.... :help:

That's been put on hold for a few days as I'm wondering whether any other pre-orders are coming. They have a habit of appearing from nowhere. But I think I'm safe as most seem to now be put back to Spring.

The LMS is the useful one as it's push/pull fitted. But I was thinking they might release a Belpaire version in the future which will be a bit different. So if I miss out on that one, more versions may appear in future.

Jason

• Like 3

So, little chance outside of Rule 1 for the red one to be involved in any other traffic beyond local and branch passenger pre-WW1? I have loads of MR goods wagons, including vacuum fitted and through piped, but have not yet built my carriage kits.

It might just have to sit there for now simmering in the bay platform.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

So, little chance outside of Rule 1 for the red one to be involved in any other traffic beyond local and branch passenger pre-WW1? I have loads of MR goods wagons, including vacuum fitted and through piped, but have not yet built my carriage kits.

It might just have to sit there for now simmering in the bay platform.

Tanks engines such as the 1532 were used to haul express trais  between Leeds and Bradford.

A larger locomotive would handle between Leeds and London.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Tanks engines such as the 1532 were used to haul express trais  between Leeds and Bradford.

Manningham had a large allocation in Midland days, working the Bradford expresses as far as Leeds, where a 4-4-0 would be put on the other end to work as far as Leicester, Derby, or Nottingham. But they also worked a good deal of the fast residential traffic out to Otley and Ilkley, etc. In later years this work became the province of 2-6-4Ts.

If you really want a 1532 working goods trains, you want a condenser-fitted one in pre-1907 condition. Such engines worked goods and coal trains via the St Pancras tunnel and Metropolitan widened lines to Midland depots south of the Thames and exchange sidings such Battersea Wharf.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

To those who have just received their model, can they confirm what notes have been enclosed in regard to using a feedback controller &/or electronic track cleaners with this coreless motored locomotive? If you ask why then see recent postings in regard to the 94xx pannier tanks. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinehill said:

To those who have just received their model, can they confirm what notes have been enclosed in regard to using a feedback controller &/or electronic track cleaners with this coreless motored locomotive? If you ask why then see recent postings in regard to the 94xx pannier tanks. Thanks.

The same as it says on the 94XX instructions. Virtually word for word.

Jason

• Like 1