Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pinehill said:

So has anybody run it using a feedback controller &/or an electronic track cleaner? If so what result?

If you run it on a layout with HF track cleaners you can kiss goodbye to the motor in about an hour. 

John

• Like 1

A short running session featuring the highly eagerly anticipated Midland Railway 1532 Class 0-4-4T from Bachmann edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see MR No.1273 in elegant Midland Crimson Lake livery in action, hauling a short rake of Parkside Midland Clerestory coaches.

Footage my recordings taken of the review sample for Railway Modeller magazine, filmed on my Photo-Plank Micro "Somerdale Colliery"
Hope you enjoy!

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A short running session featuring the highly eagerly anticipated Midland Railway 1532 Class 0-4-4T from Bachmann edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see MR No.1273 in elegant Midland Crimson Lake livery in action, hauling a short rake of Parkside Midland Clerestory coaches.
Hope you enjoy!

Why would you use the Peco footage without crediting them?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Why would you use the Peco footage without crediting them?

Judging from the branding at the start, it's some of his own footage that Peco has also used. Callum does work for them....

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning all, opps, I've now updated the caption for the video for those who didn't know that I work for RM and that the videos are my work.

I'm allowed to use the footage to create my own videos, in this case sound edits which are one of my favourite type of videos to put together (sounds are from my recordings of 47406 on the Somerset & Dorset Railway a few years back for those wondering).  As with the 1P I always make sure that the model is on the shelves at the local model shop before posting, hence uploading this week. :) 

Here's a little snap shot of the model during filming on my work bench. The main layout "Lyncombe Vale" is currently under construction, so most of my filming for the magazine and my own videos are done on a short 70cm photo-plank I created with interchangeable buildings (sorry about the mess in the room).  

Once again sorry for the confusing and hope the videos were ok. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 09.20.37.png

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

34 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Morning all, opps, I've now updated the caption for the video for those who didn't know that I work for RM and that the videos are my work.

I'm allowed to use the footage to create my own videos, in this case sound edits which are one of my favourite type of videos to put together (sounds are from my recordings of 47406 on the Somerset & Dorset Railway a few years back for those wondering).  As with the 1P I always make sure that the model is on the shelves at the local model shop before posting, hence uploading this week. :) 

Here's a little snap shot of the model during filming on my work bench. The main layout "Lyncombe Vale" is currently under construction, so most of my filming for the magazine and my own videos are done on a short 70cm photo-plank I created with interchangeable buildings (sorry about the mess in the room).  

Once again sorry for the confusing and hope the videos were ok. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 09.20.37.png

Callum, you don't need to explain yourself mate!

Take care

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Excellent video from SDJRF88.  I am tempted to buy one.  The close ups of the cab would be enhanced if there was a driver and fireman. There is a review of the model and prototype in the December Hornby magazine.

Funny you say that! As with that pan around clip they were certainly needed! Will try and get them in for future videos :) 

• Like 1

Right, back to the 1P... Postman has just banged on the door, with a Blue Box with a very Blue engine inside... I feel another sound edit coming on :)

Will get some pictures during my lunch break

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Excellent video from SDJRF88.  I am tempted to buy one.  The close ups of the cab would be enhanced if there was a driver and fireman. There is a review of the model and prototype in the December Hornby magazine.

Don't hang around.....

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, friscopete said:

My collectors Club no 54 arrived a few minutes ago .stunning model .

Yep, and mine and it is.........at least the glimpse I had of it prior to it disappearing for wrapping was...  

Update in a couple of weeks so it would seem..

Rob. 

• Like 1

My red version also arrived a few minutes later .The blue one ran a bit hesitantly and needed a pickup correction on a driver but the red one ran perfectly through my dead frog Peco code 83 on my H0 layout .I wanted both as I like the locos and did make a brass Craftsman kit up but I baulked at the lining ,probably the one aspect of model making I havnt tried so far  since a kid ,  so sold it on Ebay .I realised that someone would make them  soonish and that the S&D would on the list probably a s a Collectors Club of some kind  so waited .

On 07/12/2020 at 22:13, mikesndbs said:

Hi all

I am no expert on the Midland, but when I spotted this little stunner I just had to order one.

I've since re-oiled my four car set and she manages it well now.

Will still look at adding a little weight I think.

I wasn’t going to make a comment until I heard, “What do you think?” The little machine is undoubtedly gorgeous and there is no sign of the wonky coupling rod evident in the video below. Once the loco gets up to any sort of speed, it appears to run beautifully but when it comes to running dead slow to couple up, it looks very jerky indeed. If they are all like that, it will be very disappointing. I am eagerly and a little nervously awaiting my Collectors’ Club blue model so that I can test it for myself.

19 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Footage my recordings taken of the review sample for Railway Modeller magazine, filmed on my Photo-Plank Micro "Somerdale Colliery"
Hope you enjoy!

As soon as I saw the wonky coupling rod, I recognised this particular model and checked back to the earlier video. This is, as Nile says, the director’s cut. A bit of a relief in that the coupling rod can be attributed to much handling of the sample.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Got my Midland model and very nice it is.

I have noted that the payment for the S D J R model has been taken from my account, but no email to advise that it is coming.

Just a thought:

The Somerset and Dorset was jointly owned by the Midland Railway and London and South Western Railway. There have been quite a lot of books about it during the big four and BR period, but what was the traffic like in the pre-1923 period ? I do not have any books covering that time span on the line, so presuming that the company had only a limited number of its own locos and coaching stock, would a lot of the traffic have been Midland coaches and locos working through and down from Bath to Bournemouth and back and some L S W R locos and stock working up and back from Bournemouth and what would they have been ? Obviously with goods stock as well.

Combined  with the local blue stock, it would certainly make for an interesting and attractive layout theme.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Added info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

As a cheapskate who has a non-decoder loco in the post from Rails but operates DCC what sound decoder would fellow members recommend?

I find Zimo offer the finest level of control. Something from the digitrains range would be my choice. A Jinty would sound similar I should think. Given them a ring - they may well be doing something bespoke for this model. No vested interest, just a satisfied customer:)

• Agree 1