Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

38 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

As soon as I saw the wonky coupling rod, I recognised this particular model and checked back to the earlier video. This is, as Nile says, the director’s cut. A bit of a relief in that the coupling rod can be attributed to much handling of the sample.

Only spotted that issue after edit with the Rods. Turns out it was down to where we had not quite got the alignment right after fitting the traction-type wheel set :)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I find Zimo offer the finest level of control. Something from the digitrains range would be my choice. A Jinty would sound similar I should think. Given them a ring - they may well be doing something bespoke for this model. No vested interest, just a satisfied customer:)

Thanks, Mike. I have just ordered their £80 one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Just a thought:

The Somerset and Dorset was jointly owned by the Midland Railway and London and South Western Railway. There have been quite a lot of books about it during the big four and BR period, but what was the traffic like in the pre-1923 period ? I do not have any books covering that time span on the line, so presuming that the company had only a limited number of its own locos and coaching stock, would a lot of the traffic have been Midland coaches and locos working through and down from Bath to Bournemouth and back and some L S W R locos and stock working up and back from Bournemouth and what would they have been ? Obviously with goods stock as well.

Combined  with the local blue stock, it would certainly make for an interesting and attractive layout theme.

From the takeover of the Somerset & Dorset Railway by the Midland and the L&SW in 1875 until nationalisation, the line was operated by a joint committee as essentially a separate railway company, although the two parent companies taking on responsibility for different departments. This meant that the S&DJR ran all the trains, including all those between Bath and Bournemouth, with its own locomotives. All local passenger and goods services used its wagons. Midland carriages worked through services from the north but to balance the mileage run by Midland carriages over the S&DJR, some S&DJR carriages were used for Midland semi-fast services between Bristol, Birmingham, Derby and Nottingham (the exact circuits changed over the years). This arrangement was modified in several stages: in 1914, the S&DJR goods stock was divided between the Midland and L&SW, except for brake vans and engineer's department wagons; in 1930, the passenger stock was likewise divided up, though those vehicles not quickly withdrawn (mostly by the Southern) seems to have remained on the S&DJR; also in 1930, the LMS took over responsibility for providing S&DJR locomotives, absorbing the existing S&DJR stock and fairly quickly substituting standard ex-Midland or LMS locomotives. Likewise the Southern provided carriages for local workings, the through trains from the north continuing to be LMS stock.

So Grouping didn't really affect the S&DJR; the real change was in 1930. Before that date, one would only see S&DJR locomotives on the S&DJR.

Still the best general history is Robin Atthill, The Somerset & Dorset Railway (David & Charles, 1967), readily available second hand.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Got my Midland model and very nice it is.

I have noted that the payment for the S D J R model has been taken from my account, but no email to advise that it is coming.

The courier company that Bachmann uses (think its  FedEx) does not send emails or texts to advise that the package is on its way. The courier just turns up at your front door.

Keith

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Having ordered the blue and red versions suddenly took a liking to 58072 and at 3:34pm looked at the Kernow MRC website, pressed the "buy" button and at 4:29pm got an email from DPD saying that it will be delivered tomorrow......

Will be collecting the red version from my localish model shop next week but wonder which of the other two will arrive here first.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

From the takeover of the Somerset & Dorset Railway by the Midland and the L&SW in 1875 until nationalisation, the line was operated by a joint committee as essentially a separate railway company, although the two parent companies taking on responsibility for different departments. This meant that the S&DJR ran all the trains, including all those between Bath and Bournemouth, with its own locomotives. All local passenger and goods services used its wagons. Midland carriages worked through services from the north but to balance the mileage run by Midland carriages over the S&DJR, some S&DJR carriages were used for Midland semi-fast services between Bristol, Birmingham, Derby and Nottingham (the exact circuits changed over the years). This arrangement was modified in several stages: in 1914, the S&DJR goods stock was divided between the Midland and L&SW, except for brake vans and engineer's department wagons; in 1930, the passenger stock was likewise divided up, though those vehicles not quickly withdrawn (mostly by the Southern) seems to have remained on the S&DJR; also in 1930, the LMS took over responsibility for providing S&DJR locomotives, absorbing the existing S&DJR stock and fairly quickly substituting standard ex-Midland or LMS locomotives. Likewise the Southern provided carriages for local workings, the through trains from the north continuing to be LMS stock.

So Grouping didn't really affect the S&DJR; the real change was in 1930. Before that date, one would only see S&DJR locomotives on the S&DJR.

Still the best general history is Robin Atthill, The Somerset & Dorset Railway (David & Charles, 1967), readily available second hand.

Thanks that's very informative.

From memory, I think that I have a little paperback copy of that book in my collection. Wil have to dig it out.

My blue model arrived at 17.30 tonight courtesy of Fed Ex. Had a quick peek and it looks beautiful.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just got the link to buy the BCC 1p today.

Hopefully mine will be here in the next few days.

As for the MR and BR versions... :scare: no idea if I will get them or not, so just in case ive played the National Lottery with Bachmann diesel lottery numbers..  08,20,24,37,47 with lucky shunters 03,04 if I win i’ll buy off ebay.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Presumably the cab steps are to be user-fitted - left off to clear bogie swing. What's the minimum radius the engine will traverse with the steps in place?

Mine got around my innermost circuit, which has a short section of flexi less than 3rd radius set track. Makes a big difference to the appearance.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Liberated my 58072 from the clutches of the PO this morning. What a gorgeous model. it's trundling away happily on my rolling road as I type this. My 20-year old Gaugemaster Model 100 is in charge and it's running nicely down to a crawl both ways.

On this showing, I reckon Bachmann are now up to a standard where they can be trusted with some Southern prototypes.:)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Early Christmas present... well the first of several possibly :lol:

FB_IMG_1607684303958.jpg

Because nothing is perfect the only thing that  stands out as 'could be improved' are those bogie wheels - seem very scrawny in the tyre department and just a little crude. Nothing an appropriate Gibson or Markits wouldnt cure (although will the bogie pick up add an extra complication?)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 89A said:

Very sadly having to return my 58072 to Kernow due to increasing reluctance to move first in a forward direction and now in both directions. Suspect gear failure of some kind.:unsure: 

Interesting.  I sent one back with a similar fault earlier in the week.  Let's hope it's not a design / QC problem for the model.

• Agree 1

On 10/12/2020 at 15:34, Rowsley17D said:

As a cheapskate who has a non-decoder loco in the post from Rails but operates DCC what sound decoder would fellow members recommend?

Not the factory-fitted Bachmann one in my friend's crimson one - it belongs a diesel!

Edited by 64F
spelling
  • Funny 1