Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

55 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

That's what I was told when I phoned Saturday and mine (Nov 5) was now being processed. I'm that panicky that I've secured 2 red ones from different sources at the same price, and the other one has been in the post for a week now.

Which begs the question, has this been a sell out product, I've never been involved in a new release scramble before. Or is it that the red one is so achingly attractive that they need to bring out more red ones, Precedent notwithstanding.

I think it's just panic buying. Maybe people are being a bit more panicky as they've ordered them as Christmas presents? For either others or themselves, more likely the latter.

There's probably more to come. After all the LNWR Coal Tank sold out and then more appeared. I think the same thing happened with the L&Y 2-4-2T. Now both of them are available at discount.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Having had a half-hour each way on the rolling road, 58072 got as much again in layout mileage on Bournemouth Central this morning.

Ran very nicely at all speeds but developed a slight squeal. Cured by drops of oil each end of driving axles and to crankpins.

I also noted a squeal develop during running in, though not from the driving axles. With mine it was tracked down to the trailing wheels, cured with some graphite powder at the points they clip in but I'd think a suitable oil would do the trick just as well. Nothing worse than I've had on factory weathered wagons when overspray has got into the bearing, and certainly easier to sort out!

If anyones looking for one, there was a BR black sound and non sound 1P in Hobbyrail yesterday. But it just seems to be the bigger retailers playing catchup on their online orders backlog though.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

I also noted a squeal develop during running in, though not from the driving axles. With mine it was tracked down to the trailing wheels, cured with some graphite powder at the points they clip in but I'd think a suitable oil would do the trick just as well. Nothing worse than I've had on factory weathered wagons when overspray has got into the bearing, and certainly easier to sort out!

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind if the noise returns when she gets another proper run next week.

John

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not when it's an 8F.

The 8F is outstanding in Crimson.

One of the few models in N that I would consider buying.

Now if they could just use the growing ray.....

https://www.Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/product/category/145/lms-stanier-8f-8624-lms-crimson-lake-(lms)/372-160k

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

looks like a small wheeled Jubilee.

It does, but the only thing I would say is that, whether its the colours off the photo or its actual paint, it would look even more glorious with the Midland Railway deep crimson lake. But as I said, perhaps because its Christmas, bring on the red engines...

1 minute ago, MR Chuffer said:

It does, but the only thing I would say is that, whether its the colours off the photo or its actual paint, it would look even more glorious with the Midland Railway deep crimson lake. But as I said, perhaps because its Christmas, bring on the red engines...

I think it's just a poor photograph light wise. It's difficult finding stuff online that is easy to post without infringing on copyright so I just used the one on Wiki.

Looks better in other photos.

https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/the-railway/locomotives/8624-2/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Even better in real life. Just looks like a small wheeled Jubilee.

spacer.png

Credit someone called Oxyman.

Comical is the only word that springs to mind!

It's a freight-hauling, slow slogging, workaday beast from a passed and dirty world - to dress it up in the clothes of a prestige, pedigree express passenger mover is an insult to both categories of loco.

At least it's current owners seem to recognise that fact.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

It's a freight-hauling, slow slogging, workaday beast from a passed and dirty world - to dress it up in the clothes of a prestige, pedigree express passenger mover is an insult to both categories of loco.

Oh, like this you mean:

image.png.0ceec3fbfe4d81d6e73ccf40816ec294.png

[Catalogue photo of 7 mm model from Slater's Plastikard website, since, obviously, colour photos of actual 19th century Midland goods engines are somewhat scarce.]

• Like 8
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Even better in real life. Just looks like a small wheeled Jubilee.

spacer.png

Credit someone called Oxyman.

looked better with BR numbers.

I understand that, but for the depression/recession in 1929, the LMS was aiming for a total fleet in Maroon. Had that occurred, I guess an LMS Maroon would have naturally happened, as well as “Red fives”.

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

looked better with BR numbers.

I understand that, but for the depression/recession in 1929, the LMS was aiming for a total fleet in Maroon. Had that occurred, I guess an LMS Maroon would have naturally happened, as well as “Red fives”.

wait, lms red was going to be a standard livery for everything?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

Ive read this in a couple of places.

But not seen anything definite to confirm it.

AiUI the cost of red vs Black meant post 1929 the plan never continued, but prior the plan was ultimately a towards uniform maroon fleet.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

Only if the Midlanders got sole charge.

A bit like Riddles wanting everything LNWR lined black. I can guarantee that if the Swindon boys would have got a bigger say in 1948 then everything would have been green with chocolate and cream carriages.

Just the way things were and still are in some circles. People have long memories.

I'll just leave this here...

image.png.0c8d78999e474fb3e6e4f71a8a61c603.png

https://www.hattons.co.uk/258521/lima_4683lima_u01_lms_class_4f_0_4_0_4683_tank_in_lms_lined_red_pre_owned_replacement_box/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 2