Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

time to make a layout based on this now!

Plenty of L&Y locos got LMS Maroon.. inc L&Y crabs etc

:-)

however this one is food for thought..

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Bachmann-diesel/Bachmann-d16-ivatt-10000/Bachmann-ivatt-100001-multi-options-in-br-green-with-eggshell-blue-waistband-half-yellow-panels-2/

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Only if the Midlanders got sole charge.

A very good family friend (and narrative voice in the remake of Night mail) was a senior manager of BR parcels in Derby when I was younger.

Many good stories, but one of which was about 47522 at Doncaster being released in Apple Green with “Parcels” branding proposing it as Parcels sector livery.

As most of the Parcels (Later RES) sector team were based in Derby and Euston, they were having none of it, and saw to it the word “Parcels” was rapidly removed.

As they were behind Coalville openday etc, they saw to it, that 47561 came about in Maroon.. and propsed that livery.

The compromise was Red in the end, for Parcels.. justification being to align to their largest customer, Royal Mail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Comical is the only word that springs to mind!

It's a freight-hauling, slow slogging, workaday beast from a passed and dirty world - to dress it up in the clothes of a prestige, pedigree express passenger mover is an insult to both categories of loco.

At least it's current owners seem to recognise that fact.

John Isherwood.

One of the express freight ones though.

It's got the balancing so it's passed for 60 MPH running. Hence the star on it's cabside.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/48624-lms-8624-br-48624/

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/12/2020 at 19:45, Compound2632 said:

Likewise, sent on Tuesday, Royal Mail 48 hour tracked; arrived today, so don't despair. PO is struggling a bit quite apart from the time of year. It's the still "Pending" that's bugging me...

The Royal Mail problems seem quite regional. I too am waiting for something from Sheffield which is supposed to have shipped 48hr last Tuesday, but I've had deliveries from the South West and West of England, both ordered since last Tuesday, in line with their purported timescales.

Must be a lesson there if it's something needed specifically for Xmas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WisTramwayMan said:

The Royal Mail problems seem quite regional. I too am waiting for something from Sheffield which is supposed to have shipped 48hr last Tuesday, but I've had deliveries from the South West and West of England, both ordered since last Tuesday, in line with their purported timescales.

Must be a lesson there if it's something needed specifically for Xmas.

I live in the Sheffield postcode area (Rotherham) and we seem to be only getting post once a week. I might not see a postman all week, but last Thursday they were swarming all over and I got 2 deliveries in 1 hour.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

I live in the Sheffield postcode area (Rotherham) and we seem to be only getting post once a week. I might not see a postman all week, but last Thursday they were swarming all over and I got 2 deliveries in 1 hour.

That may be pandemic-related.

We had two or three weeks where we got the whole week's (letter) post on a single day during the first wave. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I have a friend who drives Royal Mail parcel lorries out of their main Northwest depot, it's rammed, overrun, they're using contract drivers and everything but the parcels still keep coming. He couldn't even park his car before his shift as they have so many extra staff.

When you think about it, when did you last see a high street thronged with Christmas shoppers day after day, 2019? It's all coming through the post, and the Royal Mail is bearing the brunt of it.

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 1

I think TMC have had problems as well. They were sending things by courier instead.

Got both of mine now. Little beauties. But the red one has a slight dip at the bunker/cab interface. I'm going to have a proper look later. It doesn't seem damaged or bent though. Might just need a bit of manipulation to put it back in place. I don't think it's a sending back issue as everything else is alright.

Jason

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

I have a friend who drives Royal Mail parcel lorries out of their main Northwest depot, it's rammed, overrun, they're using contract drivers and everything but the parcels still keep coming. He couldn't even park his car before his shift as they have so many extra staff.

When you think about it, when did you last see a high street thronged with Christmas shoppers day after day, 2019? It's all coming through the post, and the Royal Mail is bearing the brunt of it.

Maybe need to get out more? Everywhere is rammed, just that people are a bit more spread out and more queues than normal. It was like that just before the latest lockdown and is again.

Saw this article earlier about the Trafford Centre and it's not like this according to people who have been there. Living up to it's normal reputation as the Traffic Centre.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/special-features/short-queues-serene-stores-reality-19420928

This is what it was like in October.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/11/manchester-shoppers-pack-in-like-sardines-to-get-christmas-presents-before-lockdown-13404801/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe need to get out more?

Me? Not anymore, just cycle and walking the dog in open countryside, everything comes by courier and less chance of meeting idiots (in queues outside Primark, for instance).

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Me? Not anymore, just cycle and walking the dog in open countryside, everything comes by courier and less chance of meeting idiots (in queues outside Primark, for instance).

Oh I don't know, outside of work I only really leave the house to take the dogs for a walk, yet in the weeks before lockdown my usual weekend walking destination would see perhaps 10-15 cars in the car park, if there is an event on then it can be up to maybe 200 cars in the height of summer. The very weekend we went back to lockdown the overflow car parks were suddenly full with around 300 cars. Come back out of lockdown and this weekend the car park had 6 cars there...I'd say the chances are dictated by the lockdown situation, with it being a higher certainty that you're going to meet idiots in higher numbers and places you really shouldn't be seeing them the stricter the rules are. I'm all for advocating exercise, but some people only seem to 'need' to exercise when they're told to stay indoors!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

That may be pandemic-related.

We had two or three weeks where we got the whole week's (letter) post on a single day during the first wave. 

John

Where I live I spoke to one of the postmen, and whilst it appears that locally they're reasonably up to date on parcels, on letters they're delivering only once every few days due to shortage of experienced staff; masses of agency people, the experienced staff are off not because they've had any actual cases of Covid in the sorting office but because staff have been told to stay away due to possible close contact with someone who potentially has.

Correct thing to do, of course, but causes all sorts of further (much less important in the general scheme of things) problems. I just hope what happened about a couple of years ago doesn't repeat itself - loads of parcels got sent to the wrong sorting depot and took about a couple of weeks to sort it due to lack of staff; in fact, one parcel to me went missing and never was found.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any chance someone with a factory sound version could post the default values for the following CV's?

CV9
CV56
CV57
CV58

I'm running on the asumption its a Zimo decoder and like their recent N gauge sound models Bachmann have tweaked the defaults to suit the coreless motor.

On 13/12/2020 at 13:10, LittleRedTrain said:

Pre-ordered two from Rails (separate orders as originally the sound and non-sound versions were due at different times). 

- Red one without sound was dispatched on Tues and still hasn't shown up. 

- Black one with sound was dispatched on Weds and arrived on Thursday. 

Go figure! 

Hoping the red one appears in tomorrow's post. 

My red one still hasn't arrived. Rails have kindly sent me the tracking number and apparently it's still at 'PSC South Yorkshire' as of yesterday.
Hopefully it may make its way down to the Midlands sometime this week!

EDIT: Finally arrived Wednesday 16th morning

Edited by LittleRedTrain
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I’m back home after a trip to Monk Bar Models, York, and they had one MR red one, DC, which I bought. I could not be more pleased, and it runs so smoothly. It was the only one they had, apart from a MR red one with sound. 
So that is me satisfied and happy.  Such a beautiful model.

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To add in a place name.
  • Like 2

Incredibly pleased with my 0-4-4T.  I splashed out on the factory sound fitted version and it is very good - much better than the efforts of a few years ago.  I checked the CVs using Decoder Pro and was surprised to find it set up for 14 speed steps rather than the recommended 128.  Strange.  The speed table as it comes is also linear.

Buxton to Millers Dale push-pull is now a reality!

Peterfgf

• Like 1

These things need to come with a public health warning...I 'found' a Midland livery 1P languishing upon a shelf and decided to give it a home alongside my incumbent BR Black one, and almost received a black eye within 5 minutes of getting through the front door!

Almost exactly as before, great runner out of the box, and also developed a bit of a squeal from the bogie axles after a few minutes running. With this one I oiled the bogie bearings instead of using graphite powder, with exactly the same effect, and also had to tweak the bogie pickups a tad.

Also, having thoroughly played with various coupling permeations I have found that my most preferable in operation to be the Roco 40271 (I think, had them ages and lost the packaging) when coupled to Hornby Stanier suburbans. These leave around 3mm between coach and loco rear buffers, which is close enough to call good and they still negotiate setrack curvature without issue pulling or pushing. I normally prefer to use Kadees between loco and coach with a solid bar/Roco type then between coaches. But in this instance I think the solid bar approach works much better and enables you to close the gap down for both push and pull without instigating buffer lock.

681011556_1Prococouplers.jpg.ceb21e685fdb6bb56af5415036637c9a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/12/2020 at 22:32, Kaput said:

Any chance someone with a factory sound version could post the default values for the following CV's?

CV9
CV56
CV57
CV58

I'm running on the asumption its a Zimo decoder and like their recent N gauge sound models Bachmann have tweaked the defaults to suit the coreless motor.

CV settings for the sound-fitted version:

CV9   =  50

CV56 = 255

CV57 =  65

CV58 =  20

• Like 1

On 14/12/2020 at 17:55, Zunnan said:

I'd say the chances are dictated by the lockdown situation, with it being a higher certainty that you're going to meet idiots in higher numbers and places you really shouldn't be seeing them the stricter the rules are. I'm all for advocating exercise, but some people only seem to 'need' to exercise when they're told to stay indoors!

Did you pause for a minute and wonder about what other exercise they may normally do but were being prevented from doing? Gyms closed, no football/tennis/swimming allowed...  Likewise people who normally walk to work are in need of replacing that exercise if they're working from home? or even those who do normally walk to the shops, or football grounds, etc, and were prevented from doing. Just because your dog walk in itself isn't specifically adversely affected by the restrictions, doesn't mean there aren't many and varied reasons why peoples change in habits may bring them closer to you.

There have been very many bad things about this year, but the speed at which people jump to judge each other has to be one of the worst.

Anyway, back to 1P related things - does anyone know of a detailed drawing for a Midland D1246?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Jub45565 said:

Anyway, back to 1P related things - does anyone know of a detailed drawing for a Midland D1246?

Twenty 54 ft third brakes of Lot 884, built 1921, to drawing 5172. There are two copies of this drawing in the collection of the Midland Railway Study Centre, apparently to different scales, items 88-C0600 and 88-D0840. As far as I'm aware that this drawing has yet to be scanned and it's unlikely that it will be possible to scan it until the collection has completed its recant to the Silk Mill museum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1