Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

On 16/12/2020 at 16:06, Steamport Southport said:

Via who though? As I've received my two from Bachmann and TMC.

If it's Rails I'm waiting for a different parcel from them which was also sent on the 10th. Part of their advent deals.

Jason

10th ? You may have a few days to wait yet, then. I'm still waiting for something that's supposed to have departed 8th December and hasn't shown yet, believed stranded in some Royal Mail facility in Sheffield.

As I said in an earlier mail, if folks wanted stuff for Xmas I hope for their sakes they used a different postal area....

On 16/12/2020 at 14:54, Compound2632 said:

There is a full listing in S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 1

Resurrecting this, about steam heating, I haven't got Summerson so can someone provide a precis of what it says. In essence, does it provide a list of numbers and their steam heat conversion dates (from when until when - in which case I'll take pot luck on a number), or was the class done in substantial blocks with the odd outlier (again, from when until when)?

TIA

Having seen, on this morning's news, the mountains of packages filling the RM sorting offices and the courier premises, I think that very many of us will have an extended wait for our eagerly anticipated packages - be they Xmas presents of self-indulgencies.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Resurrecting this, about steam heating, I haven't got Summerson so can someone provide a precis of what it says. In essence, does it provide a list of numbers and their steam heat conversion dates (from when until when - in which case I'll take pot luck on a number), or was the class done in substantial blocks with the odd outlier (again, from when until when)?

TIA

It was fitted on an "as required" basis, depending on allocation and the fitting of local carriage sets for steam heating. See PM.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Having seen, on this morning's news, the mountains of packages filling the RM sorting offices and the courier premises, I think that very many of us will have an extended wait for our eagerly anticipated packages - be they Xmas presents of self-indulgencies.

John Isherwood.

Yesterday I ordered my Christmas indulgence off Hattons, a Hornby LSWR Terrier with standard postage. It's just arrived! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2020 at 15:55, Rowsley17D said:

Has anybody whose 1P was advised by Rails as posted on 10 Dec received theirs yet?

The Derwent Spa Branch is please to announce the arrival to its newest engine this morning. Here she is awaiting the off. No power on as I'm DCC and deciding on a decoder once she's run in.

1195700443_DSCF7914(2).JPG.077aadf048e42aa3546f20c9128b3dc2.JPG

345088705_DSCF7915(2).JPG.22a91cbb4e5ea82099c00c80847ed771.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Rowsley17D said:

The Derwent Spa Branch is please to announce the arrival to its newest engine this morning. Here she is awaiting the off. 

Cunningly parked alongside the platform so we can't see that you haven't yet fitted the cab steps!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

They will go on Stephen when all is run in and I've finished messing about with crew. I attach steps with Black-Tac where I suspect they would foul wheels as it allows a little give when the two come into contact.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Like the Sam video the pick-ups on the bogie were not in contact with the wheels and have been adjusted. The wheels just pop out.

I've ordered a decoder and stay-alive from YouChoos. Their website is very good for stay-alive installation which Bachmann have made easier by providing solder pads. The capacitor goes above the decoder. YC say there's room in the bunker for more stay-alive potential.

Edited by Rowsley17D

18 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

10th ? You may have a few days to wait yet, then. I'm still waiting for something that's supposed to have departed 8th December and hasn't shown yet, believed stranded in some Royal Mail facility in Sheffield.

As I said in an earlier mail, if folks wanted stuff for Xmas I hope for their sakes they used a different postal area....

Well my parcel just arrived so things are coming through from Sheffield.

More Pannier/Terrier shaped than MR 1P shaped though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

My sound version turned up today. Quick video straight out of the box.

Exhaust looks well synchronized and the brake  action is nice an smooth. Am I right in saying this is a Zimo chip? I wonder whose provided the sound project 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Exhaust looks well synchronized and the brake  action is nice an smooth. Am I right in saying this is a Zimo chip? I wonder whose provided the sound project 

I was pleasantly surprised - I  rarely buy sound fitted locos and normally use Zimo/Digitrains. The paperworks says it is a ESU Loksound V5. I agree with others that the bogie pick ups look as if they might benefit from tweaking but so far so good over my live frogs.

Chris

• Like 1

Mine turned up this afternoon from Rails but was D.O.A. 

After waiting 8 days due to postal delays I did not want to risk sending it back and might not see it again till next year so I decided to have a finger poke.

There was no continuity between left and right wheels but there was between all 4 wheels on each side confirming pickups were ok. Suspecting maybe the blanking plate was not fitted firmly I took the body off but all looked well. Connections to pcb looked ok. I removed the blanking plate and tested for continuity between the wheels and pcb and there was none on one side.

I removed the keeper plate to check the wiring but the pickups are not hard wired, they make contact with two pads on the chassis. Both looked tarnished or corroded or it could have been grease. I cleaned them up with a glass fibre pen, popped the keeper plate back on and all was well. 

Put the body back on and gave it a run on my length of dc test track and it is a superb runner, quiet and crawls smoothly.
I had ordered a Next 18 decoder from Hattons but have been waiting 10 days for them to send me a code for the lockers. I will have to cancel it as I am now not able to go there and don't want to pay postage for something I could have collected.

651347758_0-4-4pickup1.jpg.a463e4689f87cde8496c118fa3f13256.jpg

Note the two wipers on the bogie, they make contact with the pickup strips on the keeper plate. 

Edited by Free At Last
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Free At Last said:

I removed the keeper plate to check the wiring but the pickups are not hard wired, they make contact with two pads on the chassis. Both looked tarnished or corroded or it could have been grease. I cleaned them up with a glass fibre pen, popped the keeper plate back on and all was well. 

Put the body back on and gave it a run on my length of dc test track and it is a superb runner, quiet and crawls smoothly.

651347758_0-4-4pickup1.jpg.a463e4689f87cde8496c118fa3f13256.jpg

Note the two wipers on the bogie, they make contact with the pickups on the keeper plate. 

https://albionyard.files.wordpress.com/2020/11/img_1755.jpg

The 94xx has the same methodology, and I think it’s a good idea. So long as the pads make contact obvs! :)

Edited by PMP

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful models..

ive spent a bit of time tonight playing spot the difference.

I didn't realise there was only 362 of each (DC and DCC ready versions).

no wonder they disappeared quick.

8535AFE1-943C-49A4-BA91-AF125BEBBE02.jpeg.7181c7c7003e9c428783596c5deb7179.jpeg
different lamp irons, chimney, smokebox, handrails, steam pipe

3434FA29-F589-46F8-BCC1-5152CA310488.jpeg.d921f9a6d4c83aa93cd15000bb3fe6f8.jpeg
3 different types of bunker coal rails, note the cab roof of the SDJR version.

9B531D9D-1CF7-44BC-BF7F-16248EAA0C65.jpeg.f6db75462d4913de11014d535dd2c4ce.jpeg618712A1-05F9-4CAB-A115-9FB1AC779A86.jpeg.e3cccf439e268a2d3ad156af4cfdc1c2.jpeg

the list of differences goes on.

The only blemish is I find the model is a bit highly strung, it leaps out at just a touch on the controller, but equally its very minimal in wheel revolution turn at slow speed, it goes from 0.25mph, to 0.5mph then to 25mph..! On DC.

I have to give this really high marks, Bachmann's really got this model to excellence, the paint finish, attention to minute details, the weight of the model... they have surpassed themselves.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have been reading about all the postal delays from the Sheffield area, but how about delays in dispatch?

Mine (ordered 07/08/2019) still has not been processed even though they came into stock on 06/12/2020.

Emailed Rails on 13/12/20 and was told it would be 'processed & dispatched in the next few days', however still no change in status :mad: 

Edited by nigcuberail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, nigcuberail said:

I have been reading about all the postal delays from the Sheffield area, but how about delays in dispatch?

Mine (ordered 07/08/2019) still has not been processed even though they came into stock on 06/12/2020.

Emailed Rails on 13/12/20 and was told it would be 'processed & dispatched in the next few days', however still no change in status :mad: 

Fret not. My crimson one, pre-ordered in May 2019, was despatched yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Compound2632 said:

Fret not. My crimson one, pre-ordered in May 2019, was despatched yesterday.

Compound2632 - Oh well, at least we stand together!

I assumed that they would be dispatched according to order date, so that means an awful lot were orderd before August last year then :mellow:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we just need to stop and consider the bigger picture here. 

Arguably more people than ever are shopping on line at present, therefore businesses are busier, working in different circumstances due to having to comply with workplace legislation arising from COVID. On addition, the postal service is creaking. I had an insight into this from speaking with Kernow a couple of weeks ago. 

The release of the 1P just before Christmas, though nice, drops it into a busy period for shops like Rails with an already large number of orders coming in at this time of year anyway.......and this is only one new  model.

Frustrating as it is, we've just got to go with the flow. I'm sure its fine. I wouldn't advocate ringing them but If in any doubt, just drop them an email. 

Its tricky for everyone. 

Rob. 

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Well as they say resistance is futile and on Monday afternoon I saw the S&D 1P appear on the club site and promptly ordered it!

My excuse is that I grew up a ¼ mile from the site of Wimborne Jn S&D shed so this was about as local as I could get ;) As a kid we explored all around the old lines after closure of the BR (exLSWR) line. I have a drawing of the loco shed, obviously copied from an old magazine but no idea which one. 
Anyway thanks to Railwest’s excellent site I have a picture of one of the near identical original S&D locos at Wimborne Jn

http://www.trainweb.org/railwest/railco/sdjr/wim-jcn.html

80CD1080-1B19-4E55-83BF-C41EF3BC1EAE.jpeg.1177614a6b6a19415eeb9a6522cb29ec.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've had it up to here with postal delays, despatch delays and badly finished models. I've had all of these experiences, and more, over the years with all of the major suppliers, so I thought that on this occasion it would be my turn to get a model immediately it was released, the day following despatch and perfect straight out of the box.

Not a bit of it.

I hadn't actually ordered one.

• Funny 11