Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Gold

The decoder from YouChoos arrived this morning (no connection but as a returning customer I did get a small discount - ordered by phone) and I am very impressed with it and probably the best steam sound I have. It has a brake which is fun to play with. They also sent a stay alive which I will fit later on. If I could work out how my camera takes films I would show one.

• RMweb Gold

The YouChoos stay alive has been fitted it's soldered to pads under the decoder platform. There's a good guide on the YouChoos website. I covered the soldered pads with tape as there's a risk of the solder joints touching the chassis when it's reassembled. I increased the coasting sound time to the max 255 on CV 285 which gives about 30 secs clanking before the chuffs restart.

Have the Bachmann sound fitted version. It does not do the clanking when coasting which is disappointing. As far as I know it is a Zimo chip so may experiment with the CV285. Loco runs well though and looks good fitted with crew, steps, lamps, and a little light weathering.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Have the Bachmann sound fitted version. It does not do the clanking when coasting which is disappointing. As far as I know it is a Zimo chip so may experiment with the CV285. Loco runs well though and looks good fitted with crew, steps, lamps, and a little light weathering.

The paperworks says it is a ESU Loksound V5.

Ah yes it is you are right. Wonder what CV, if any, this may be? I had Zimo in mind because I originally planned to get the DCC ready version and obtained a Zimo Next18 decoder for it. Got the sound version instead - last one in the shop too  as the non-sound version had already gone.

Edited by geoffers
Brain fade.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, geoffers said:

Ah yes it is you are right. Wonder what CV, if any, this may be? I had Zimo in mind because I originally planned to get the DCC ready version and obtained a Zimo Next18 decoder for it. Got the sound version instead - last one in the shop too  as the non-sound version had already gone.

Sorry...I don't know what came over me....I read the instructions.......I expect I'll be banned.....

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Having had my #54 for a few days I suddenly remembered I had some coaches  in S&DJR livery (special commission by Dapol) which I located in the depths of one of my storage boxes:

1319189140_SDJR-0-4-4T-01.jpg.fd95602c790292a7573089897ef85712.jpg

No problems taking two coaches up the incline but not sure if it could take three coaches. Maybe give it a try tomorrow.

Keith

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Having had my #54 for a few days I suddenly remembered I had some coaches  in S&DJR livery (special commission by Dapol) which I located in the depths of one of my storage boxes:

Better not to mention those vehicles in the same breath as Bachmann's superb model! 

You are cautious to say "in S&DJR livery". They certainly bear no resemblance to any real S&DJR carriage, though of course their LMS prototypes saw service from the 1930s onwards. But it's not even any sort of S&DJR livery, just a blue of possibly vaguely the right shade - and whose daft idea was it to put the written class designations halfway down the door panels?

Dapol might as well paint them chocolate and cream and call them Great Western. Real Farish stuff...

Hey, that's got the blood circulating and me properly woken up!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Better not to mention those vehicles in the same breath as Bachmann's superb model! 

You are cautious to say "in S&DJR livery". They certainly bear no resemblance to any real S&DJR carriage, though of course their LMS prototypes saw service from the 1930s onwards. But it's not even any sort of S&DJR livery, just a blue of possibly vaguely the right shade - and whose daft idea was it to put the written class designations halfway down the door panels?

Dapol might as well paint them chocolate and cream and call them Great Western. Real Farish stuff...

Hey, that's got the blood circulating and me properly woken up!

well, it works with a lack of rtr stuff....or you could go the fun route and say it's a preservation thing

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Two examples were deposited at Sheep Towers this morning courtesy of Santa. 

No 54 was joined by 58072. 

They both look the part and  run very well straight out of the box.  After running in, both will be weathered to a greater or lesser degree. 

Very happy bunny......er Sheep. 

Rob. 

20201225_132553-02.jpeg

20201225_132433-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Two examples were deposited at Sheep Towers this morning courtesy of Santa. 

No 54 was joined by 58072. 

They both look the part and  run very well straight out of the box.  After running in, both will be weathered to a greater or lesser degree. 

Very happy bunny......er Sheep. 

Rob. 

20201225_132553-02.jpeg

20201225_132433-01.jpeg

Can't wait to see them in action at some point (when shows return). Just picked up my 58072 yesterday (she'll be on the the weathering bench soon too). Can't remember wait to see what weathering plans you have for 54!

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Can't wait to see them in action at some point (when shows return). Just picked up my 58072 yesterday (she'll be on the the weathering bench soon too). Can't remember wait to see what weathering plans you have for 54!

Hi Callum. 

Gently does it methinks.....

Rob. 

• RMweb Premium

Birthday and Christmas presents, posed with more-or-less appropriate stock:

2005517634_Bachmann1532Classengineswithcarriages.JPG.89d44fcbea5905b3b801d7591ddf1515.JPG

And from a three-quarter angle:

603340594_Bachmann1532Classenginesthreequarterview.JPG.659b5347f770e9f4549725d64c0c9fba.JPG

There's one improvement I've spotted in the production batch of No. 1273, compared to the review sample in the Railway Modeller video. The error in the lining out of the front of the tanks has been corrected:

1026595518_Bachmann1532ClassengineMidlandlivery.JPG.1ce283cc7fc9903eb32688254bd73a0c.JPG

A bit of daylight visible under the smokebox, which I shall have to investigate. The whistle off this one is now in the bag of add-ons...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's 1273 takes as its point of reference a photo of the engine at Buxton c. 1909. It's in a transitional condition - post 1905 simplified lining but still with transferred M R initials and 1907 number in the old brass numerals, early style of Deeley smokebox door but original style of continuous handrail, and Johnson chimney. I can't help feeling that this was a bit of an odd choice; if it had been done in later condition, with large transfer numerals and Deeley chimney, it would have sat better with the Midland-liveried 4F Bachmann have done. (I don't think they've done a Midland-liveried version of the 3F.) That livery would be good from c. 1912-ish right through to grouping, and with change of emblem, to 1928 (and beyond...) (Ditto the 3F and 4F.) It might be tempting to make the appropriate changes to this model but, I suspect, to do so would be redundant as there will probably be an early LMS liveried version along within a couple of years.

More challenging is to backdate the model to earlier condition - full Johnson-era livery. My favoured modelling date is c. 1902. Modifications for this would include:

• replace smokebox door with Johnson pattern
  • replace chimney with one that looks more like the Johnson pattern
  • remove front steps and corresponding bolt detail on platform valence, and tank front handrails - front steps were added to Midland tank engines from 1903 onwards
  • add lining on boiler bands, cab corners, platform valence and steps
  • re-number using brass numerals (Slaters)
  • paint and line frames and wheels

A refinement that would do for all periods would be to add dummy frames under the bunker, doing away with that very visible joggle in the guard irons. 

The curved brass pipe coming down along-side the ashpan, behind the brake cylinder, is a feature of condensing engines only.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 23/12/2020 at 22:55, tetsudofan said:

1319189140_SDJR-0-4-4T-01.jpg.fd95602c790292a7573089897ef85712.jpg

No problems taking two coaches up the incline but not sure if it could take three coaches. Maybe give it a try tomorrow.

Keith

Can I ask what make of track you are using Thanks 

Has anyone felt it necessary to fit the traction wheels provided? I was glad to see them in the box because I have a 1:50 incline with second radius curves so feared I would have a problem. One of the reviews suggested there was more traction running bunker first so I tried the 1P with 2 Ratio Midland coaches and it had no issues at all. I then tried the same load chimney first and again it fairly romped up the incline. 
So for me I will be content to leave the traction tyres in the box as I do not intend torun longer than 2 coach trains on the incline. Part of the incline is in a tunnel and the Locosound 5 whistle is most effective as it enters the tunnel portal. I agree with all the earlier comments on the Prussian blue finish too - just stunning. 
To say I am pleased with this loco would be an understatement.