Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

You appear to have acquired an Australian market example, Tim. 

Rob

I've just tried my other two photos, and they come out the same....

Truly bizarre, I've inverted one of them whilst cropping, and it still comes out up side down on here....

Even more bizarre, I've uploaded one the right way up in my blog, Loftshire

Edited by Tim Hall

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Same size boiler as a LMS 6B which was used from 1940.

Here's a photo of one of the boilers in question.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-MIDLAND-REGION/262T-LOCOMOTIVES/i-6nXPwBz/

The design was already in use over ten years before the BR version was built.

The GWR boiler is totally different. That's why it's important to dispute "facts" such as this. Especially since there is no sources cited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_3_2-6-2T

That is describing an LMS boiler and is the correct size for a type 6B, not a GWR boiler. GWR taper boilers didn't have domes for a start. 

Jason

The book from which the description of the BR 3MT boiler being derived from a GWR design is taken was authored by E.S. Cox, who was Executive Officer (Design) under Riddles during the construction of the BR Standards.

On the spot, at the time, and in a position of authority/influence in the appropriate department.

I'm therefore inclined to take his word for it.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

"Nothing E.S. Cox wrote can be taken on trust unless it can be verified elsewhere and ideally from original sources."

... is a statement I have seen attributed to Adrian Tester, whose contribution to our understanding of LMS locomotives has been to investigate those original sources, rather than to repeat the self-serving tales told by autobiographers.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the cab doors, it's necessary to reduce them in width with a few strokes of a file and making the edges thinner also helps. I put a bit of graphite pencil on the edges too, they slide in a treat. Be careful mind as the edges can be sharp.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Cab doors went in OK on mine though required some encouragement. Probably will not come back out though, at least not easily. With the cab doors inserted and a crew in the cab it is now mightily difficult to see the firebox glow. I am quite happy with the sound but as I mentioned above there is no clanking when coasting.

Edited by geoffers
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As to goods haulage, my crimson one is happily chuffing round the dining room table with a dozen Midland 8-ton 5-plank open wagons, one S&DJR look-alike, and a 10 ton brake (Slaters and Mousa kits with Alan Gibson wheelsets).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

happily chuffing round

Mine struggles at slow speed over a complex station throat with slips and 3-ways but also a mix of whitemetal David Geen L&Y long wheebase and old Wills kits so carrying some extra weight? Its fine on the open road and there is no power loss over the turnout frogs/blades, a bonus. But, New Year's project, get some carriages built so it can do its proper job!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I need to check, but these 1P tanks have a resemblance to the SECR (LC&DR ) 0-4-4 tanks.  The major differences 'appear' to be different safety valves, and condensers on the  LCDR locomotives.  More research needed, however.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I need to check, but these 1P tanks have a resemblance to the SECR (LC&DR ) 0-4-4 tanks.  The major differences 'appear' to be different safety valves, and condensers on the  LCDR locomotives.  More research needed, however.

Well, William Kirtley, nephew of Matthew, had been Works Manager at Derby before moving to Longhedge, though that move was very soon after Johnson's appointment. Mind you, 0-4-4Ts were among the first all-new locomotives designed under Johnson. The Class R 0-4-4Ts as built do seem very similar to the 1532 Class - same size cylinders but slightly larger driving wheels, 5'6" vs 5'3", and 6" shorter total wheelbase; the condensing pipes are arranged in the same way too.  They date from 1891, ten years after the first of the 1532 Class. They were built to do the same work - passenger trains over the Metropolitan widened lines into Moorgate.

The sandboxes incorporated into the leading splashers à la Drummond are another prominent distinguishing feature.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Crystal Palace branch was very near to us in London.  I can remember the last vestiges of the station being demolished.  I guess I need to build a smaller version of the High Level station, by way of homage. Thanks for the post, Stephen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

... I think the side tanks are lower so the cab side-sheets are taller.

In fact the 1252 Class - 30 engines built by Neilsons in 1875/6, so probably under discussion when Kirtley left Derby - are a closer match to Class R, with 5'6" drivers and 21'9" total wheelbase, only 3" longer than the R. So when a RTR Kirtley R comes along, I'll happily convert it into a 1252!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The Crystal Palace branch was very near to us in London.  I can remember the last vestiges of the station being demolished.  I guess I need to build a smaller version of the High Level station, by way of homage. Thanks for the post, Stephen.

We built the whole thing in 00 scale and are always looking for rolling stock to run on it.

Our period is from 1925 after electrification to 1954, so the appearance of R or R1 class locos would have greatly reduced, although they may have appeared on excursion trains in the earlier days. Unfortunately there are not a lot of photos taken in the 1920 and 30's. There are two pictures of a half day excursion from Cambridge in 1934, if I recall, taken at Honor Oak, with an LNER N1 on the front and two quad-arts forming the train !

However, the R and R1 tanks were also used on the Hawkhurst branch, so I would like a couple for my Hawkhurst Station layout.

Ray Blanchard

Southwark and District Model Railway Club

Edited by wainwright1
Correction of station name.
  • Like 2

Just a heads up for anyone still looking for one

A small allocation of the extremely popular Bachmann 31-740 Midland Railway 1532 Class Johnson 1p 0-4-4 Tank Locomotive are now available to purchase.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32635/Bachmann-31-740-oo-gauge-midland-railway-1532-class-johnson-1p-0-4-4-1273-midland-railway-crimson-locomotive

Grab one while you can

Edit: All gone now.

Edited by Free At Last

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just got one lovely model runs well straight out the box. How can’t get the fire lights to flicker. I’ve fitted a Gaugemaster DCC 18 omni, the lights work on functions 1 &2, dose anyone now which CV’s to play with please. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

When all is sold out you can always build your own if you can find a kit, that is.

DSCF8134.JPG.8cfd57ac6b8b429ee087325ccabf978c.JPG

(I have since put the shed plate on the right way up! Should have gone to Specsavers... wait a minute, I did!)

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 6 months later...

Evening. 

I received 58072 for Christmas. However, I have only just fitted (I believe a DDCconcepts) Next 18 decoder curtesy of Rails' August Bank Holiday offer. I also fitted the same decoder to the Coal Tank.

Whilst the Coal Tank runs beautifully, the Johnson is very jerky on starting and stopping. I've swapped the decoders between the two locos with the same jerkiness in the Johnson.

If anyone else has had the same problem could you give me some advice, please? Thank you.

Paul.

1 hour ago, westonp said:

Evening. 

I received 58072 for Christmas. However, I have only just fitted (I believe a DDCconcepts) Next 18 decoder curtesy of Rails' August Bank Holiday offer. I also fitted the same decoder to the Coal Tank.

Whilst the Coal Tank runs beautifully, the Johnson is very jerky on starting and stopping. I've swapped the decoders between the two locos with the same jerkiness in the Johnson.

If anyone else has had the same problem could you give me some advice, please? Thank you.

Paul.

I had the same problem with my 1P when I fitted a Hattons Next 18 decoder, no matter what settings I tried I could not get it running smooth.
My Coal Tank was fitted with a Bachmann decoder (Zimo) which ran very smooth. I tried the Bachmann decoder in the 1P and this transformed it. On trying the Hattons decoder in the Coal Tank I got it running the same. All as I can gather is the Hattons decoder was not compatible with the coreless motor in the 1P.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2