Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Downer said:

Agreed. If the chimney’s a foot too long it can be replaced. If it’s just an inch or two, then I shall probably learn to live with it. 

For the Johnson chimney in the reference photo of No. 1273, it's shape that matters as much as size:

671072271_Johnsonchimney1532Class0-4-4TNo1273(1907).jpg.0030518d1fba6fd7b5d55e04227f6750.jpg

Edited by Compound2632

On 01/03/2020 at 21:30, Compound2632 said:

Alan Gibson do the Johnson 3'4" chimney as a brass lost wax casting, their item 4M614. Presumably this was the chimney from the Class M 0-6-0 kit. I don't know what is currently available by way of a 3'7" chimney.

IMHO the Gibson chimney isn't very good. It lacks the subtle shape of a Johnson chimney.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, John-Miles said:

IMHO the Gibson chimney isn't very good. It lacks the subtle shape of a Johnson chimney.

The Craftsman one was the one thought to have best "got" the shape.

There's an opportunity here for some aftermarket 3D printing.

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

The Craftsman one was the one thought to have best "got" the shape.

There's an opportunity here for some aftermarket 3D printing.

The problem with 3d printing chimneys and domes seems to be that the flair at the base is very fragile. I have a friend who has recently produced some kits of Cambrian locos and he has had the boiler, dome, chimney and safety valves done as a complete unit because of this problem.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, John-Miles said:

The problem with 3d printing chimneys and domes seems to be that the flair at the base is very fragile. I have a friend who has recently produced some kits of Cambrian locos and he has had the boiler, dome, chimney and safety valves done as a complete unit because of this problem.

It depends how the chimney is designed on the Bachmann model. It may be a push fit into a recess the diameter of the base - I think the Oxford Dean Goods chimney was done that way. 

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Was that the reply from Bachmann when you emailed them in November? 

Rob 

Rob,

As far as I can recollect, I did not receive a response from Bachmann.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Rob,

As far as I can recollect, I did not receive a response from Bachmann.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not surprised by that John. 

Guess we will have to wait and see then...........

My pre order remains and still looking forward to receiving 58072.....which was a Neilson build and therefore appears  not to be subject to the raised cab on receipt of the G5 and a bit boiler....So it looks okay to me but I stand to be corrected. 

Rob. 

On 07/03/2020 at 22:24, PenrithBeacon said:

The chimneys for the top two seem to be fine renditions of a Stanier chimney for this engine. The lower one is far to high. 

Something has gone wrong.

Cheers

Having checked some photos of 58072, and checked the width / height proportions, it would appear that the chimney is too high by roughly the height of the chimney cap.

I wonder if an overall chimney height has been used as the height of the chimney to the underside of the cap?

1982469896_58072_08(BATH).jpg.612920ab4eae9144fb6a6701c9b170bb.jpg

474210573_BACHMANNBR1Pamendedchimney.jpg.1ab00411a8abf642cf0763864dbde464.jpg

AMENDED VERSION OF Bachmann IMAGE WITH LOWERED CHIMNEY CAP

What do others think? Perhaps the chimney now appears to be slightly too thick, but the height looks about right to me.

As may be noticed, the Bachmann image also lacks 58072's dome blanking plate, which gives a slightly flattened profile to the dome crest. This, though, is a relatively easy fix for the modeller.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I think Bachman might have chosen the wrong engine. The flattened top to the dome  shows it to have once been a Salter valved example.

The modeller shouldn't be paying all that money only to have to change it to suit the number. It should be right out of the box. Perhaps it would be better to wait a while for a more appropriately numbered example, but then I won't be buying one of these so perhaps I shouldn't be saying anything!

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I think Bachman might have chosen the wrong engine. The flattened top to the dome  shows it to have once been a Salter valved example.

The modeller shouldn't be paying all that money only to have to change it to suit the number. It should be right out of the box. Perhaps it would be better to wait a while for a more appropriately numbered example, but then I won't be buying one of these so perhaps I shouldn't be saying anything!

Trouble is, for a number of reasons, 58072 is one Bachmann pretty much had to pick, so they should have been on top of the detail issue from the get-go.

It's a must-have for me and, whilst I'd prefer the errors weren't present, I'm no stranger to customising what comes out of the box to suit my personal requirements.

John  

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

It's a must-have for me and, whilst I'd prefer the errors weren't present, I'm no stranger to customising what comes out of the box to suit my personal requirements.

Indeed, and (this isn't aimed specifically at you John) - 'paying all the money' is actually pretty cheap if you look at the alternatives - even without including the cost of time to build, or pay someone to build, the parts for a kit, chassis, wheels, motor, gearbox, 3rd party detailing bits, paint, transfers...

The problem (for me) is less about absolute cost, and more about whether the any errors which do creep in are correctable.  Flattening a dome is achieveable, replacing a chimney is achieveable - if there is a replacement available...

One thing Bachmann do a very good representation of is vac ejectors.  Far better than those available elsewhere (for these prototypes).

• Like 1

Just now, Jub45565 said:

Indeed, and (this isn't aimed specifically at you John) - 'paying all the money' is actually pretty cheap if you look at the alternatives - even without including the cost of time to build, or pay someone to build, the parts for a kit, chassis, wheels, motor, gearbox, 3rd party detailing bits, paint, transfers...

The problem (for me) is less about absolute cost, and more about whether the any errors which do creep in are correctable.  Flattening a dome is achieveable, replacing a chimney is achieveable - if there is a replacement available...

One thing Bachmann do a very good representation of is vac ejectors.  Far better than those available elsewhere (for these prototypes).

What peeves me is that I had all the components needed, plus a Craftsman kit, and sold them on at the prospect of a far superior model appearing from Bachmann.

I could have built a satisfactory model from the kit, but reasoned that I have a limited time remaining on this earth, and that the necessary effort could be put to better use.

It certainly isn't about the cost - it's about traction tyres, incorrect chimney and inaccurate dome. I've learned my lesson now, and will manage without 58072.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Now Due:

• 31-740 MR 1532 (1P) Tank 1273 Midland Railway Crimson Lake Nov-20

• 31-741 MR 1532 (1P) Tank 1303 LMS Black (Original) Dec-20

• 31-742 MR 1532 (1P) Tank 58072 BR Lined Black (Early Emblem) Dec-20

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 4 weeks later...

Currently due:

• 31-740 1273 Midland Railway Crimson Lake Oct-2020

• 31-741 1303 LMS Black (Original) Nov-2020

• 31-742 58072 BR Lined Black (Early Emblem) Nov-2020

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

51 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Currently due:

• 31-740 1273 Midland Railway Crimson Lake Oct-2020

• 31-741 1303 LMS Black (Original) Nov-2020

• 31-742 58072 BR Lined Black (Early Emblem) Nov-2020

I hope to have mine before those dates - I've bought another Craftsman kit from Ebay, to replace the one that I foolishly sold straight after the Bachmann RTR announcement.

If there'd been any mention of traction tyres, I'd have hung onto the first kit!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/05/2020 at 23:40, farren said:

I think the shape looks better here

6AF41E16-FB5A-45EF-A3E1-B7524DB2BBD2.jpeg

There's clearly a lot of distortion in this photo which does make the supposed Johnson chimney on 1273 look completely bizarre!

Shame they've not fixed the lining blunder on the tank front. It should be a rectangular panel.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 09:02, Dunsignalling said:

Trouble is, for a number of reasons, 58072 is one Bachmann pretty much had to pick, so they should have been on top of the detail issue from the get-go.

John  

Are you saying this because it was an S&D loco ?, and S&D numbered locos always sell well.  

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

Are you saying this because it was an S&D loco ?, and S&D numbered locos always sell well.  

To some degree, yes, and certainly for me personally.

I've never been entirely sure if S&D numbered locos sell well directly because of that or if it's down to being widely represented in published photos, which is a slightly looser link that also makes life easier for the manufacturer.

Members of elderly classes that remained in service beyond 1955 also seem to have a broader appeal. However, 58072 wasn't an especially late survivor; being withdrawn in October 1956 and scrapped shortly afterwards. IIRC, the last of its classmates didn't go until 1960.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

58072 is a must for me and will look right at home on my small section of the S&D. 

I'll also go for the LMS black livery. 

They look the part. As I've said before, Bachmann do capture the look of the Midland locos and seem to have cornered the market. 

Rob. 

• Agree 5