Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

As most shops only received them on Friday it will take the bigger shops a few days to process as they probably got a full pallet of various Bachmann items.  

At Rails of Sheffield, it would seem the BR ones were near the top of the pallet-load and they haven't yet dug down to the red ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2020 at 23:27, Flying Pig said:

It was a pedantic reference to the video commentator's pronunciation of clerestory which should be clear-story not cle-RESTory.

While we're all waiting patiently, I'll just nip back to the debate over the pronunciation of clerestory. The other evening I was watching the Ealing classic Kind Hearts and Coronets. Alec Guinness in the role of the Rev'd Lord Henry D'Ascoyne, describing the architectural features of his church*, pronounces the word as cle-REST-ory. Difficult to argue with that, I think.

*"The bosses to the pendants are typical."

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

They'll come round again.

There is that - the trouble is predicting whether that will be before or after required for the future layout.

Given that the layout in question is behind one and a half larger layouts in the queue, perhaps it can wait - but there is real uncertainty and the small question of inflation, too.

Edited by jamespetts

11 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

There is that - the trouble is predicting whether that will be before or after required for the future layout.

Given that the layout in question is behind one and a half larger layouts in the queue, perhaps it can wait - but there is real uncertainty and the small question of inflation, too.

If they sell this well I don't imagkne it will be too long until they come back, but likely it will be a different variant.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

I am wondering whether to get enough of them now for a layout that I am planning to build in the future that will require several of these...

That’s the gamble, no doubt they will crop up on eBay etc trying to predict availability in the future is pure guesswork.
Personally if they are that important I’d get one or two now and wait for more hopefully later. That has worked well for me on other projects where they never reissued a loco ;) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jamespetts said:

A complex question indeed; my planned layout requires exactly 3 of these, preferably of the condensing type, not represented in the current model.

58072 ?  31-742   see the picture i posted Yesterday. 

Edited by johnd
  • Agree 1

On 05/12/2020 at 22:41, 9402 Fredrick said:

I'm guessing the emails will be sent either tomorrow or Monday, either way, if I don't get the regular ones I'm gonna finally buy myself the international collector club membership and pay for the SDJR Blue one.

Speaking of which, it’s shown on the Club website as “in stock soon”. “Soon” is fairly meaningless as some retailers use it when a model is announced and is years from arrival. They should have arrived with the rest and I imagine the club being knee-deep in the things, struggling to insert certificates and send them all out.

4 hours ago, johnd said:

58072 ?  31-742   see the picture i posted Yesterday. 

Yes, indeed, the BR version has condensing, but not the MR version. Perhaps Bachmann will produce MR liveried condensing versions in the future, as worked over the Widened Lines; but that is highly uncertain, of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, jamespetts said:

Yes, indeed, the BR version has condensing, but not the MR version. Perhaps Bachmann will produce MR liveried condensing versions in the future, as worked over the Widened Lines; but that is highly uncertain, of course.

The Law of Sod states the best way to ensure they make the version you want is to buy your required three of the current version (bird in the hand) with a view to modifying them if necessary once the new layout is proceeding.

If Bachmann then make what you really want, loads of other people will belatedly want what's gone and you shouldn't have any trouble moving them on.

Mind you, judging from some other posts, finding three of the MR version (unless you want sound) will be quite a good trick.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Dan and the team at Derails this little beauty is currently ticking over on the rollers running beautifully. (They included a note to say they’d already tested it but I like to run them in fully)

E57BE62A-6293-4000-B956-BEFEFEB80BDB.jpeg.9f17e7ffc1ecc4c201c6a048a4782cfe.jpeg

12A3EFD7-8C34-4447-9450-B586B1C72324.jpeg.6492c9a38b1a47732fb75662c5eb05dc.jpeg

edit: supplied detail parts & traction tyred driver

0975BC66-1463-4B22-8031-66C8F428F840.jpeg.d356a5af7792341d88dc4c4fdca97773.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Also these are the first photos I've seen where the interior of the rear of the cab can be seen, particularly the angled bunker front which looks to be right but not the convex curve of the rear spectacle plate. That's a very tricky area to interpret from drawings; it took me a good deal of headscratching to work out what was going on.