Stations Without Footbridges or Subways

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Settle's new-ish bridge has been mentioned, and Kirkby Stephen has one now. Before that it was go down to the road and under the railway. Originally I presume it was cross the tracks on the now long gone boarded crossings.

Settle still retains it's boarded crossing but is only accessible via a padlocked gate. The key is with the station staff.

Settle is well used through the summer months by coach trips turning up for ride on the S&C. A decent proportion of the customers are elderly and struggle with stairs. Whenever a coach turns up, the station staff are usually on the case asking if anybody needs level access.

Foxfield on the Cumbrian Coast is an island platform with the only access via boarded crossing.

Foxton (GER). The arrangement is still the same today with the level crossing at the end of the platforms. I think Whittlesford and Elsenham had the level crossing in the middle of the station as originally built. Both also GER.

Rowsley, Hassop, Great Longston and Monsal Dale on the London to Manchester mainline.

• RMweb Gold

As I had only known Forest Hill since the 1970s, I was unaware of it having more than two platforms, with a footbridge. So I did the usual and found this delightful mini-history of the station. I had been through the public footpath subway in the past, never realizing it formerly gave access to the narrow central island platform.

https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1023

One of the 1854 photos shows a shelter, on what seems to have been a single-sided central platform, which looks more like a modern shelter on a diesel fueling point! It can't have given much protection.

I'm sorry, I posted that incorrectly. The central platforms were accessed via the subway. In the 60's,we used to catch Brighton trains off the middle platforms. These were usually limited stop services. I was somewhat surprised to learn that the middle platforms had been taken out. When did this happen?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, I posted that incorrectly. The central platforms were accessed via the subway. In the 60's,we used to catch Brighton trains off the middle platforms. These were usually limited stop services. I was somewhat surprised to learn that the middle platforms had been taken out. When did this happen?

Ian

The subway, as it is currently, is a public footpath, not a railway station subway. I don't know whether that has always been the case. I moved to the area in the late '60s. I don't remember the middle platforms, but I generally used the bus past the station to Sydenham, not the train. I am fairly sure that they had gone by the 70s. This how it looked as it was in 2011 and it is much the same today.

post-14351-0-66770900-1484522744_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Depending on where you were going, getting tickets at Forest hill could be a right faff. The station was geared to London bound traffic naturally. If we wanted to go to Brighton, it was a trip through the subway, tickets, back through the subway, up the steps to either of the southbound platforms.

Ian.

This topic has got me thinking about Bamber Bridge on the Preston to Blackburn line. This doesn't have a footbridge or underpass as it is next to a level crossing so passengers can use that, however, there used to be an underpass at the end of the station which wasn't just for passengers as it also allowed pedestrians on the pavement to cross the line when the level crossing gates were closed. Does anyone know when this was removed?

• RMweb Premium

This topic has got me thinking about Bamber Bridge on the Preston to Blackburn line. This doesn't have a footbridge or underpass as it is next to a level crossing so passengers can use that

Sometimes you'll get a footbridge anyway - Furness Vale is right next to a level crossing yet has a footbridge (at the same end of the platforms). A road bridge means you can cross up to the last second, but with a level crossing you need to arrive early enough to get there before the barriers come down if you need to cross the line, which is why I guess the footbridge is there.

Sometimes you'll get a footbridge anyway - Furness Vale is right next to a level crossing yet has a footbridge (at the same end of the platforms). A road bridge means you can cross up to the last second, but with a level crossing you need to arrive early enough to get there before the barriers come down if you need to cross the line, which is why I guess the footbridge is there.

Barmouth used to have a footbridge next to the level crossing partly for the same reason but also to allow pedestrians to cross the line to the beach, but it has since been removed during the 1980s rationalisation of the route.  Now, the train crew operate the full width barriers but fortunately once the train has crossed they clear quickly.

Needham Market

Needham has a (stepped) subway betwixt platforms. And if the powers that be had thrown a few hundred thousand pounds more at the recent upgrade, could have had disabled access to the up platform too, utilising the "guzunder" off site.

C6T.

There are several London Underground stations with island platforms accessed by central lift/stairs/escalator.

Canon's Park (Jubilee Line) has separate stairways to each platform accessed from either side of a road underbridge. 

Possibly a majority on the tube lines underground though most of the sub-surface lines do have separate platforms . Most of the (above ground) stations on the West Ruislip branch of the Central line also have a single island platform and Greenford even has a GWR bay platform between the the two underground lines. However from White City to (but not including) Ealing Broadway there are separate up and down patforms (westbound and eastbound in London Underground's American vernacular) which probably reveals something of the origins of this line.

The single island platform was used quite a lot by the GCR on its "new build" sections.

My local station - South Greenford- has a separate footpath from the main road to a platform on each side with no other crossing but it was originally just a halt and has AFAIK never had any facilties beyond simple open platform shelters.

Hi All,

My childhood haunt of Kent produces Sturry station, just outside Canterbury, which has no underpass or footbridge, has a road running through the middle of it on a 90 degree bend. The platforms are up on one side of the road and down on the other so you have to go across the level crossing to get from one platform to the other! It still has its signal box too...

All the best,

Castle

Wokingham is next to a level crossing, and has not one but TWO footbridges! It still didn't stop some nerk vaulting the barriers when he was late and being run down by the train he was trying to catch....

• RMweb Gold

It has a brand new footbridge now, and the last time I looked the steps down to the road were blocked off so coming from one direction it's necessary to cross under the railway by road then back over by footbridge.

Although LO have made access only available via the barriers on the up side, there is an exit gate on the down side, which used to be staffed at busy times. I suspect that that no longer happens.

• RMweb Gold

Newhaven Town has a footbridge very close to the level crossing. As it is an open station, the footbridge is often used by pedestrians not wanting to wait the several minutes for a train to come down from Southease, especially when the Seagulls are playing at home, at the Amex in Falmer, and the 8 coach 377s park their back ends over the crossing, while passengers alight from the front four coaches.

Heighington doesnt.

Darlington - has one only at north east end, not sure if its always been there. Most access comes from subway and entrance from road.

Durham. Access via underpass next to road.

Northallerton, has a subway.

Grangetown (now closed) used to have subway.

As for near Whitby, etc - Battersby, Glaisdale, Nunthorpe, all dont have a footbridge. On the Pickering line Goathland, Pickering and now Grosmont have a footbridge, although the latter is an addition in preservation.

• RMweb Premium

The single island platform was used quite a lot by the GCR on its "new build" sections.

So they could put extra "fast" lines outside to save on rebuilding the stations when it became 4 track (which generally never happened)

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Archived