Rhymney railway 6 wheeled cct

• RMweb Premium

If you mean the Rhymney one. well done. I have had one part built for years, seem to have lost most of the castings and extra etched bits and put it to one side to complete "one day"..

There was just one prototype, No 36 (despite what the instructions claim). There is a drawing by Mike Lloyd (pages 82 and 83 of Rhymney Railway Drawings (WRRC/Lightmoor), but I know of no photos. The GWR renumbered in 40 and it was condemned in 1925.

Mike's drawing whows the lettering to be

LOAD NOT TO EXCEED

5 TONS

On the lower right hand corner of the side. There is no sight of any tare weight.

By the way, I seem to remember that the instructions claim that some of the vans had different windows. As there was only one that is obviously not true and the windows of the kit match the drawing. And an omission from the kit seems to be the end vents - to say nothing of the fact that the end actually had double doors so there are no hinges or door handle either.

I obviously can't put the drawing up here but PM me if you would like a scan from the book.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

roof and under frame painted just need to give a light weather and a coat of varnish and fix the glazing 

post-8283-0-16511200-1485039586_thumb.jpg

the water slides really look ok from a couple of feet not so good close up but once weathered sure it will be fine

post-8283-0-59440000-1485039805_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi NCB the numbers and not to exceed is printed as a grey background on white paper on some waterslide i got from ebay inkjet 

The RR is laser cut from some white waterslide that i have from Chiltern  Modelling Services with signal arms printed on and is laserjet and i guess much thinner 

both have had the micro sol used but the RR seems to have set in much better

that said from 2 foot looks fine and with a bit of daily muck on it will be much better

mark

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Coming back to this. I eventually found the castings and etched bits so am nearly there. Yes, there are vents and end door hinges. I still haven't found a photo.

Both the instructions and Mike Lloyd's drawing show the main lettering as 3 ft high but I am afraid that I am going to cheat and use 10 mm HMRS PO wagon lettering transfers.

That, of course, will bring out he photo we have all been looking for to prove that I have got it wrong!

Jonathan

Coming back to this. I eventually found the castings and etched bits so am nearly there. Yes, there are vents and end door hinges. I still haven't found a photo.

Both the instructions and Mike Lloyd's drawing show the main lettering as 3 ft high but I am afraid that I am going to cheat and use 10 mm HMRS PO wagon lettering transfers.

That, of course, will bring out he photo we have all been looking for to prove that I have got it wrong!

Jonathan

i now have a alps printer so could do waterslide for you if you so wish

thanks mark

Hi there Mark.........I have been following this article and have corresponded with Jonathon and he has kindly sent me the drawings that he has......the transfers also seem to be elusive to find but I would certainly be interested if you are doing some transfers....regards. Dave...

Hi there Mark.........I have been following this article and have corresponded with Jonathon and he has kindly sent me the drawings that he has......the transfers also seem to be elusive to find but I would certainly be interested if you are doing some transfers....regards. Dave...

Hi Dave 

yes i can sort some transfers out and seeing your a Shepton lad that wont be a problem seeing as im originally from Ditcheat we were once neighbours 

mark

• 1 year later...

Re: center axle.  I have built a van with Cleminson system.  It works well enough but if you want to add underframe detail you have to do some thinking:

P1010003-004.JPG.64f8e4fed3af53067cd169e6dc024bba.JPG

Ex Hornby 6 wheeled LMS Insul Milk van.  Chassis was scratchbuilt.  I think the Cleminson might have been Slaters.  Brassmasters do one as well.

P1010003.JPG.30fd6724d4cabe3786b0a144fbdba6d4.JPG

Ex Hornby GWR Palethorpes Sausage van.  Again with a scratchbuilt underframe.  This has an alternative approach to the center axle and much simpler than Cleminson.   I credit Bill Bedford with showing this to me (don't know who invented it).  Replace the center axle with 2mm brass tube of appropriate length.  Use 1mm steel rod as a carrying axle that the sleeved wheels slide to and fro on.

Can't help with gubbins under your RR van but the mechanisms tended to be similar.

Note the milk van has brakes on all wheels while the GWR van has brakes on the outer wheels only.

John

1 hour ago, brossard said:

Re: center axle.  I have built a van with Cleminson system.  It works well enough but if you want to add underframe detail you have to do some thinking:

P1010003-004.JPG.64f8e4fed3af53067cd169e6dc024bba.JPG

Ex Hornby 6 wheeled LMS Insul Milk van.  Chassis was scratchbuilt.  I think the Cleminson might have been Slaters.  Brassmasters do one as well.

P1010003.JPG.30fd6724d4cabe3786b0a144fbdba6d4.JPG

Ex Hornby GWR Palethorpes Sausage van.  Again with a scratchbuilt underframe.  This has an alternative approach to the center axle and much simpler than Cleminson.   I credit Bill Bedford with showing this to me (don't know who invented it).  Replace the center axle with 2mm brass tube of appropriate length.  Use 1mm steel rod as a carrying axle that the sleeved wheels slide to and fro on.

Can't help with gubbins under your RR van but the mechanisms tended to be similar.

Note the milk van has brakes on all wheels while the GWR van has brakes on the outer wheels only.

John

Not quite correct John.

There are single shoes on the centre wheels operated by a Morton lever.

I'm going to use a sprung centre axle using a 2mm brass tube as an inside bearing.

This should then allow sufficient side play and stop the vehicle rocking on the centre wheels.