Kylestrome’s 4mm Workbench

18 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Maybe 'difficult' was the wrong word. Let's call it 'expensive' or, in the case of small suppliers, 'near impossible' instead:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161021-buying-and-selling-models-tofrom-europe/page/17/&tab=comments#comment-4308850

What difficulties?

I'm a small supplier and I continue to send orders to the EU exactly as before Brexit.

John Isherwood.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, cctransuk said:
33 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Maybe 'difficult' was the wrong word. Let's call it 'expensive' or, in the case of small suppliers, 'near impossible' instead:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161021-buying-and-selling-models-tofrom-europe/page/17/&tab=comments#comment-4308850

What difficulties?

I'm a small supplier and I continue to send orders to the EU exactly as before Brexit.

He just said it wasn’t difficulties, but expense, John.

Some suppliers seem to be using Brexit as an excuse for not bothering, it would seem.

1 minute ago, Regularity said:

He just said it wasn’t difficulties, but expense, John.

Some suppliers seem to be using Brexit as an excuse for not bothering, it would seem.

No he most certainly did not - 'near impossible' was the exact wording.

Who are these mystery lazy suppliers?

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

No he most certainly did not - 'near impossible' was the exact wording.

Who are these mystery lazy suppliers?

John Isherwood.

No. He said it wasn’t difficult, but expensive, but “near impossible” was applied to some, not all, small suppliers, as you are saying.

I presume they are mentioned in the thread David linked to, but at the end of the day, what kind of supplier turns away business? No need to answer that: it was rhetorical.

11 minutes ago, Regularity said:

No. He said it wasn’t difficult, but expensive, but “near impossible” was applied to some, not all, small suppliers, as you are saying.

I presume they are mentioned in the thread David linked to, but at the end of the day, what kind of supplier turns away business? No need to answer that: it was rhetorical.

Please point me to the word 'some' before 'small suppliers'; it ain't there!

The statement is crystal-clear; 'in the case of small suppliers, near impossible'.

Please read postings before interfering.

John Isherwood.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s how I read the “tone”, but as a “small supplier”, I can see why you’d be peed off enough to displace your anger at someone else.

Whatever: if suggesting solutions and hinting at offering to help is “poking my nose in”, then I don’t mind “interfering”, but as you weren’t personally mentioned, I have little idea (and care not at all) what your reason is.

• RMweb Premium

It’s amazing how easy it is to start an argument on a forum, even though it was not my intention.

I really don’t know why I bother posting here sometimes. Perhaps, in future, I should spend my time doing something more useful.

David

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

It’s amazing how easy it is to start an argument on a forum, even though it was not my intention.

I really don’t know why I bother posting here sometimes. Perhaps, in future, I should spend my time doing something more useful.

David

For me you posting on RMweb is very useful,  your work being quite inspiring whatever you do - rolling stock or layouts - and encouraging me to try harder in future, so being selfish please don’t stop. 

Bob

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

David

No please don’t stop David - your workbench and layout are hugely inspirational :yes:

That’s why I come on here, to be inspired by other’s layouts and models...especially more now so during lockdown...

Thank you

• Agree 5

4 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

David

Some just cannot help getting their trews off sadly...

Keep the models coming, it's always nice to see another wagon nuts work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, iak said:

Some just cannot help getting their trews off sadly...

Keep the models coming, it's always nice to see another wagon nuts work.

Just to point out the other side of the coin ....

As a small supplier, a surprising number of my orders come from the EU; (and all other corners of the globe).

When posted on a group with an international membership, the specific statement that ordering from abroad with small suppliers is "near impossible" can have far-reaching consequences.

I fully accept that the OP had no such intention, but the unintended implications could be disruptive for both suppliers and potential customers.

All I was asking for was a little more thought before posting sweeping statements.

Not unreasonable, surely?

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

When posted on a group with an international membership, the specific statement that ordering from abroad with small suppliers is "near impossible" can have far-reaching consequences.

John, please accept my apologies for making a hasty remark without thinking of the possible implications.

I do have good grounds for making my statement, which I won't go into here, but I should have prefaced it with 'some'.

Regards,

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 06/02/2021 at 14:41, Kylestrome said:

John, please accept my apologies for making a hasty remark without thinking of the possible implications.

I do have good grounds for making my statement, which I won't go into here, but I should have prefaced it with 'some'.

Regards,

David

David,

Thank you - I must admit that I read the comment at a time when I was easily irritated; I meant no offence.

I think that the 'aggro' was exacerbated by the comments of a third party.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies Dave: I find your work inspiring, as I have said more than once (your class 25 is still the yardstick I use to compare all others).

Obviously people differ in interpretation of words, which makes life interesting and unfortunately, means unambiguous communication is not always what happens: I read the absence of “all” from “...small suppliers” as meaning “some” [which you since have clarified as your intention] whereas it is apparently possible to read “small suppliers” as lacking the qualifier “some” and interpret it as meaning “all small suppliers” and only meaning that.

I have been taught that as the recipient of messages, we should not over-interpret meaning, but as providers of communication, the onus is on us to ensure that our message gets across clearly and unambiguously, and failures of communication are the consequence of not realising that there is possible ambiguity in the message.

(A local eatery is offering takeaway service, in the daytime, you can walk in, order and come back later to collect or even wait, but for Friday and Saturday evenings (6pm to 9pm) you need to “pre-order”. So I waited until 6pm, to “pre-order” for the evening. Apparently, “pre-order” means “before 6pm on the day you want to eat”, and the owner was quite indignant that it was my misunderstanding. I am rambling, again, but thanks for clarifying that I had, in fact, understood you correctly.

Nurse, quick, the medication, or at least the facecloth to mop up the drooling... )

Edited by Regularity
Waffle about pre-ordering.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It’s very satisfying when you can make a model out of odd parts, and bits from the scrap box, that vaguely resembles a wagon. Somehow, I managed to end up with just the body parts of a Parkside mineral wagon kit and, as luck would have it, I found enough bits and pieces to make an underframe for it.

16t-Mineral-1.jpg.74323c0699995f347260262bcaa70fbb.jpg

I came up with some 3mm Evergreen channel for the sole bars, axlebox and spring mouldings rescued from the Dogfish kit, Buffers off a Hornby brake van, Comet W-irons and some Masokits 9’ brake gear parts.

16t-Mineral-2.jpg.08a861963f5ab63de83e2edb38cd1643.jpg

The basic construction was quite simple. As long as the wheel axles have enough ’slop’ in the bearings everything can be glued up rigid.

16t-Mineral-3.jpg.1eea942773888d10d315156a6dea2281.jpg

The aptly named Masokits brake gear can be a bit of a fiddle, but looks good in close-up photos.

16t-Mineral-4.jpg.5d743e3c76957c07c021f72a721578d2.jpg

Most of the metal parts are locked in place by various lumps of styrene – not pretty, but effective. With some lead underneath, and a sheet of lead as a false floor, the wagon weighs the standard 50 grams.

I’ll make a removable coal load for it, probably using a block of balsa wood with an embedded magnet, before it goes onto the layout.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2021 at 19:07, Kylestrome said:

Now that buying items from the UK has become so difficult I looked at a local German online shop to see if I could something of use, before stocks run out, and came up with this Hornby OTA. Normally, with these articulated wagon chassis, I would replace the wobbly bits with Bill Bedford sprung axle units. In this case, I thought it would be a shame to lose the axle box detail so I decided to have a go at ‘finescaling’ the original underframe.

OTA-1.jpg.27419062953cb326c33f0f148245bac7.jpg

I cut off the axle guard detail from the metal axle units, with a piercing saw, and glued them onto the solebars and springs. Then I ground off the pinpoints of the two P4 axles and turned some spacing washers to reduce the side-play.

OTA-3.jpg.cf5105237859567c7855db9ab66cabc0.jpg

OTA-2.jpg.307db8e7db951bcef26c35f00ac4f1db.jpg

Once reassembled, and with couplings fitted, the wagon runs quite well on P4 track although I’m glad this is only a one-off. I think the friction would probably cause problems if I were to run a whole train of them.

I will probably need to do a partial re-paint to suit my chosen period, and I will add a load with some concealed weight.

David

I have just read this thread end to end for the first time where the detailed work contained is of the highest order. I am intrigued by your selection of an air braked OTA first seen in the 1980's when elsewhere you have so studiously and meticulously created rolling stock appropriate for the period of your layout. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, young37215 said:

I am intrigued by your selection of an air braked OTA first seen in the 1980's

That's because I don't like to be tied to just one era. Most of my projects so far are intended for the period 1968/69'ish, but I also have several locos and air-braked stock for the period of roughly between 1985-87. Nothing's hard and fast, and I sometimes make arbitrary use of Rule No. 1, but stock for the two periods are run quite separately.

David

• 7 months later...
On 05/02/2021 at 19:07, Kylestrome said:

Now that buying items from the UK has become so difficult I looked at a local German online shop to see if I could something of use, before stocks run out, and came up with this Hornby OTA. Normally, with these articulated wagon chassis, I would replace the wobbly bits with Bill Bedford sprung axle units. In this case, I thought it would be a shame to lose the axle box detail so I decided to have a go at ‘finescaling’ the original underframe.

OTA-1.jpg.27419062953cb326c33f0f148245bac7.jpg

I cut off the axle guard detail from the metal axle units, with a piercing saw, and glued them onto the solebars and springs. Then I ground off the pinpoints of the two P4 axles and turned some spacing washers to reduce the side-play.

OTA-3.jpg.cf5105237859567c7855db9ab66cabc0.jpg

OTA-2.jpg.307db8e7db951bcef26c35f00ac4f1db.jpg

Once reassembled, and with couplings fitted, the wagon runs quite well on P4 track although I’m glad this is only a one-off. I think the friction would probably cause problems if I were to run a whole train of them.

I will probably need to do a partial re-paint to suit my chosen period, and I will add a load with some concealed weight.

David

I like this technique. Might give it a go for my OTAs. Looks like you've cut off the axle guards without affecting the height and attached direct to the bottom of the chassis?

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, westie7 said:

Looks like you've cut off the axle guards without affecting the height and attached direct to the bottom of the chassis?

Correct. The axles still run in the rocking/rotating axle units, as Hornby intended, but the axle guards now remain static.

David

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

46 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Correct. The axles still run in the rocking/rotating axle units, as Hornby intended, but the axle guards now remain static.

David

Thanks David.

And reading back through this thread... Please keep posting;).. if I hadn't found your posts I'd still be struggling to figure out what to do with these OTAs.. now I have a plan and can save on parts too.

But I really must finish the Engineers AB wagons thread I started donkeys ago before I dig out another project. :laugh_mini:

Mark

• Like 1

• Kylestrome changed the title to Kylestrome’s 4mm Workbench
  • 6 months later...