NSR 4wheel carriages in 4mm scale

Models of two patterns of NSR Brake Third and a matching composite are now available in 4mm scale through 3D printer i-materialise. Two of these are slightly adapted to clip-fit onto an Airfix/GMR/Dapol/Hornby GWR brake van underframe. If there is sufficient demand I'll bring out some more versions. 

NSR Brake Third like the one recovered from Rudyard in 2014:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4wheel-1880s-brake-third-body-4mm-scale?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=6

NSR Brake Third variant with the guards lookouts at the end (number 24):

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4wheel-brake-third-body-no24-4mm-scale-clip-fit-Hornby-airfix-Dapol-chassis?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=8

Seats for either of the above:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4-wheel-brake-third-bodies-interior-seating-unit-4mm-scale?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=7

NSR Composite carriage of similar design:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4wheel-composite-body-4mm-scale-clip-fit-Hornby-airfix-Dapol-chassis?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=4

Seats for the composite carriage:

https://i.materialise.com/shop/item/nsr-4-wheel-composite-bodies-interior-seating-unit-4mm-scale?query=NSR&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=5

Again, if there is sufficient interest I have a full brake and hound van that can be uploaded for sale, also to clip-fit the proprietary underframe or will go equally well on a scratchbuilt underframe. I have a five complartment six-wheel third that would require a scratchbuild underframe. Through supplier Shapeways I have also designed and test-printed a one-piece NSR carriage underframe but that still requires some development work on the bearing holes to enable OO/EM wheels to be fitted. they are not cheap, and I only make a couple of dollars design fee on each one, but they do make an unusual and accurate model.

There are some 7mm scale parts in development and also one carriage in Gauge 1 but these work out very expensive in scales larger that 4mm so I am hoping to case a few parts in resin from the 3D masters.

If anyone has any questions or wants more prototype photos plse post on here. Models of NSR brakevans covered in a previous thread are also still selling on Shapeways (FUD) and i-materialise (Prime Gray) although one variant has been discontinued due to unexplained printing problems, apparently.

And if you would like to ride on the two restored full-size NSR carriages, number 61 and 127, their first day running at Foxfield Steam Railway is planned for Sunday 2 April 2017, there will be Trustees dressed in Victorian costume and a sales stand to raise funds for the restoration of the next carriages...

Mark

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

I would be interested in some 7mm versions of those coaches, especial if you are doing some in resin (I suspect a 7mm print would be fairly eye watering.)

Argos.

Yes 3D prints of carriages, even four-wheelers like these, do get very pricey. I have done the 22ft NSR 4wheel third class carriage (number 127 in the Knotty Heritage Train) in 7mm scale and cast some in resin but only for my own use, and only two have been test-built so far. I would like to do more in 7mm scale, and have even 3D printed all the components in 10mm scale too, but have not had time  to do any more. Plus the building where I do the casting is extremely cold in winter, maybe I'll do some more once spring arrives.

Meanwhile I took some 3D prints of the masters for an NSR 20ton goods brake van in 7mm scale along to the AGM of the NSR Study Group today and several members are interested in a short run of resin parts for those.

Mark

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi Mark,

If you let me know the prices when available I would also be interested.

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who has been buying the 4mm scale model 3D printed carriage bodies and seating units. We don't make very much on each sale but it would be very useful publicity if we could hear from anyone who has built and painted one. Pictures anyone?

Meanwhile news on the real carriages, on which there is a separate thread at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83566-north-staffordshire-railway-coaches/page-1:

First class 228 of 1876 has had a full assessment at Stanegate Restorations and a detailed report is being considered by the Knotty Coach Trust after a site visit in July. Some decisions will need to be made about the restoration to depict a particular era in the life of the carriage, eg the roof profile was changed, as were several fittings and the interior. Once these decisions are made then the restoration can be costed.

The grant funding package to fully restore the 1880s Brake Third as the Accessible Brake Coach is in the final stages and it is hoped to announce the go-ahead this month. The completed carriage will be numbered 23, after a lot of research (and some speculation). The underframe has been virtually completed already, by Foxfield Railway's own engineers, it's only finance that needs to be sorted and then hopefully full completion will follow in April 2019.

The last chance to ride on the carriages this year is at the Foxfield Autumn Gala later this month.

Just a thought: Why use the GWR Brake Van underframe? I know it's no big deal to stick some plasric card strip to the solebars but the underframe for the BR GBV already has full length footboards. Would your bodies fit that chassis? (I do note that the Mainline version has raised 'concrete' bits at the end which may render some modification necessary to the chassis or body).

Thanks for the thoughts about the underframe, I see no reason why the bodies would not fit a BR brake van underframe as the length is the same. I used the GWR one simply because I had about a dozen of them as spares and they have a slightly more antique appearance than the BR versions by Bachmann, Hornby, etc. As you say, you would need to remove the 'concrete' ballast weights at each end somehow, and the body would need to be fixed to the underframe somehow, as the clip-fit tabs are only aligned for the GWR version. It might be a good use for the underframe from one of those old Mainline BR brakevans, on which the body was much too long (they crop up at swapmeets all the time as they look so wrong compared to more recent scale versions).

Do give it a go and post us a pic!

Mark

Further to the earlier posting, more of these models are now available through Shapeways than through i-materialise, using a larger range of materials, as follows:

NSR Brake Third like the one recovered from Rudyard in 2014:

NSR Brake Third variant with the guards lookouts at the end (number 24):

Seats for either of the above:

NSR Composite carriage of similar design:

Seats for the composite carriage:

Please note that the Shapeways prints are offered in FUD, FED and the new Black High Def Acrylate but I have not test printed any of them in the latter yet.

There is also a range of NSR brakevan types and LMS vans available across the two 3D print suppliers. More designs to follow when the nights draw in and I cease playing with real trains...!

Mark
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mark,

I fancy a go at some of these but they seem to be only available on line (I don't do internet shopping). Is that the only way to buy them?

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your interest, I'm afraid online shops are the only way to buy them at the moment. The models are all made to order by the 3D printing supplier and I don't actually see what they ship to a customer.

There have been very few problems with the ones I ordered, and I have had well over 50 prints done now. I had to have one 4mm scale NSR 20ton Brake Van in FUD re-printed by Shapeways, which they did freely without question, due to slight lifting of one corner during printing leading to a distortion of less than 1mm. The re-print was perfect. Everything else I have had printed by Shapeways and I-materialise has printed perfectly first time. So I think you can order with confidence if you can face internet shopping!

I am doing a few resin castings from 3D prints in larger scales (7mm, 10mm) of a couple of the NSR and GNR carriages but these have only been sold privately to raise funds for the Knotty Coach Trust - which owns and restores the real thing. 

Best regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your reply Mark but I still don't do internet shopping. If they were available to order from the Knotty Coach Trust stand at Foxfield I would be interested, otherwise it will get filed in the 'That would have been an interesting project' box.

It could be worth a message to the trust as they could look into buying some stock if they knew people would be interested in offline purchases?

One of the difficulties I have had, and I think most who are involved in 3D printed models, is only trading online. This has big advantages, as in my case, Shapeways handle everything and sort out any problems, including postal ones, and pay me the commision on a monthly basis. I have on occasions agreed to take payment myself, and send models direct to a customer. It is not ideal, as it it outside the accounting/invoice system Shapeways use, but it is possible. I would prefer that anyone who does not do online busines, actually find a friend or family member who does and order items that way.

It is not an age issue, as my late father in law was an avid internet user, switching to broadband when most were still on dial up, and he wasn't even a teckie. Internet security does worry me, but assuming you take care, then it should be no problem.

Last year I did try to get a group of 3D print designers working together, but there was no real interest. A co-op group could work together, advertise and attend exhibitions, and possibly set up a system to enable non internet users buy our products.

If Shapeways and other 3D print companies were looking for the next stage of development, then it could be actually setting up small real shop units, where people can see some samples, and put orders in for anything on the databases, either arranging for models to be delivered direct to customer or the shop.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

One of the difficulties I have had, and I think most who are involved in 3D printed models, is only trading online. This has big advantages, as in my case, Shapeways handle everything and sort out any problems, including postal ones, and pay me the commision on a monthly basis. I have on occasions agreed to take payment myself, and send models direct to a customer. It is not ideal, as it it outside the accounting/invoice system Shapeways use, but it is possible. I would prefer that anyone who does not do online busines, actually find a friend or family member who does and order items that way.

It is not an age issue, as my late father in law was an avid internet user, switching to broadband when most were still on dial up, and he wasn't even a teckie. Internet security does worry me, but assuming you take care, then it should be no problem.

Last year I did try to get a group of 3D print designers working together, but there was no real interest. A co-op group could work together, advertise and attend exhibitions, and possibly set up a system to enable non internet users buy our products.

If Shapeways and other 3D print companies were looking for the next stage of development, then it could be actually setting up small real shop units, where people can see some samples, and put orders in for anything on the databases, either arranging for models to be delivered direct to customer or the shop.

I agree with what rue_d_etropal says, these are all the reasons why 3D printing by a company like Shapeways or Imaterialise is great for small-scale designers. But Richard and Corbs also have good points, it may be possible to get some of the 4mm scale carriage bodies printed and re-sell them through the Knotty Coach Trust. I am one of the Trustees and run the KCT sales stand, storing all the stock in the closed season, so I will discuss with the other Trustees and see what we can do for next season.

Many thanks for the suggestions,

Mark

• Like 1