Coleborne Junction - Southern Steam 50's - 60's era

pitbull1845

• 1 month later...

Well lots of photos taken but only a few worthwhile. The idea was a Bullied pacific evening, eventually 12 were assembled at the loco shed, Ottery St Mary being found later in the stock drawers when putting away some of the others. Many of these loco's are now weathered, the rest are on the hit list. Perhaps a B.R. standards evening could be arranged. More importantly, the first track, albeit temporary, was laid to Wimhill,  the M7 and push pull set used as the inaugural train.

post-3742-0-89678700-1421597807.jpg

post-3742-0-93353000-1421597849.jpg

post-3742-0-07417600-1421597865.jpg

post-3742-0-18226700-1421597905.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 19

If this is your first visit to Coleborne , there is a good picture of the branch line heading off uphill beside the loco shed on this site, page 5 ( 23rd March 2013 ). Various previous photos on the site show the M7 setting off up the branch, obviously setting off was all it did.

Cheers,

Brian.

Edited by wireman

Hi,

My subscription Model Rail has just come through the letter box.

You'll find all you need to know starting on Pg 24.  Great pictures and write up, I even get a mention! its more of a walk on role but hey its a start.

Well done to the 3 amigos who have worked hard to get Coleborne to where it is. I'm looking forward to the completion of the branch where I can do some shunting.

(working again the is week Nick!)

• Like 1

Monday evening at Coleborne this week, great excitement about pictures in Model Rail, but for the moment two of mine to show the start of Wimhill. There is a possibility this terminus may be called Wimhill Lane but just Wimhill for now. It is to be in G.W.R. territory, never mind, and will have some goods facilities etc.

The pictures show how the branch covers the main storage roads, so a lot to be getting on with. Will this be a sea side terminus? Will Nick follow the plan and keep it simple? Is there any chocolate bars left in the tin?  Look out for further developments.

Brian. ( wireman )

post-3742-0-13339200-1421769427.jpg

post-3742-0-50626700-1421769530.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Time has flown since our last post, but there has been progress. well the plan has progressed. The terminus base board as constructed was in one piece, as can be seen in the previous post, making it quite heavy to lift when access is required to the storage roads and because of the length was prone to flexing, but the major problem was that when lifted it would mean all stock etc. at the station or sidings would have to be completely removed. The only solution was to remove it and cut into 3 parts. This has now been completed, the first section being quite short and the remainder divided into two roughly equal lengths. This makes lifting much easier plus any stock will just has to be moved to the adjacent section. The down side is rail joints between boards. However, last night we made our first attempt at using copper clad sleepers on the joint edges, soldering then cutting the rails, quite successful. To make wiring simple, each of the two main sections will have 2 x 2 port DCC Concepts point modules. These can be powered from the BUS circuit and as they incorporate a CDU for each port, each will be able to operate 4 points on each section. ( 5 if the release crossover points are wired as one.) hopefully therefore only the two wires from the BUS will be required to each section over the hinged part of each board. This will make each section a self contained unit. Another second hand ZTC 511 has been acquired and will possibly be used as a slave unit situated at Wimhill. Operation of the branch could then be from the main control point or from the wimhill controller or from the walk about slave unit. The pictures hopefully clarify some of these ramblings although they can not show how much work has been involved on this simple change. The chocolate tin is still empty but hopefully Easter may resolve this problem.

Brian ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-35970300-1428081758.jpg

post-3742-0-66090500-1428081779.jpg

post-3742-0-91987400-1428081798.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Another evening at Coleborne, unfortunately the chocolate tin dilemma has not been resolved, however track laying has started well. Our normal method of fitting point motors is to drill a 10mm hole then fitting them under the baseboard using the extended pin Peco motor but to save depth below the board on the extension we are fitting the motors directly to the point, cutting a slightly oversize hole to accommodate them and allowing a small amount of adjustment if required. Before fitting motor to point, a small piece of coloured card with a slot for the pin and holes for the mounting lugs is fitted over the motor. Again the pictures should show this better than I can explain it. The card used is colour sample cards from our local D.I.Y. store. The third picture is Nick either tapping a track pin in place or hammering the track flat. I hope it was the former.

Brian. ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-61689500-1428918203.jpg

post-3742-0-66087800-1428918218.jpg

post-3742-0-92675500-1428918282.jpg

Edited by wireman

Progress so far. This view shows all three lifting sections and the rail joints across them. The slight curve after the crossover and before the board joint was intentional, the platforms will start just after the edge of the third board with a loco release cross over at the end. The siding, running into the torch, mug and other stuff, which can be seen just before the new boards will be hidden from view and used for stock storage.

Regards

Brian. ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-35223600-1428920745.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Visit to Coleborne last night, the first for a couple of weeks and a start was made on wiring the extension although not enough to photograph as yet, but, GREAT NEWS, the chocolate tin problem has been resolved.

Brian  (wireman )

post-3742-0-85310800-1431020797.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have only just come across this thread and have read it from post 1 to 189 - some really great Southern modelling and I particularly like the way you have shared both problems that you have come across and the solutions you have found. A number of ideas will help me on my own layout; thanks for sharing what you are doing.

Tony

Hi Tony just returned from hols. and found your post, thanks for taking the time to read through the Colborne thread and thanks for your comments. We too have found many solutions from other members of RM web, great site !!

Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

Visit to Coleborne last night, bit of tidying and testing of the track wired so far. The picture is the first of the previously mentioned point modules and as can be seen this one is operating both points of the crossover at the end of the platforms. The final plan for the sidings here at Wimhill has still to be decided but the intention is to avoid over crowding of the area. Hopefully more pics, as track is fixed and wired.

Regards. Brian ( wireman ).

post-3742-0-03966500-1435351089.jpg

• Like 5

I don't think I've come across this one before, It looks very good, I need to start from page 1 and get up to speed.

All the best.

EDIT = Yes I have, May 2013, excellent work.

Edited by Andrew P

• 2 months later...

Such a lot has happened here at Coleborne in the last few months that it needs a few photo's to elaborate. Wimhill is now tracked and wired and all points are now working. A lot of tidying up needs to be done and then we can start on the Station.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Since my last Coleborne post in late June, an unaccountable amount of time has flown past and here we are in mid October, so, time for an update. The first picture is of the final? track layout, pinned, tested and part weathered. The second shows the track break between two of the boards. Nearest the camera will become the terminus, i think we have said before that this will be Western influenced, the spur at the far end will be the siding into the dairy and the rest forms a goods run round loop and head shunt ( outer track ) plus this will have a goods shed at the station end. The cable running down the side is the BUS into the three lifting boards which will be hidden as a low wall / backscene will run along the edge of the the boards with a taller scene on the back wall.

Regards Brian ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-60603900-1444901804.jpg

post-3742-0-64164300-1444901821.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 6

These next couple of shots show how the DCC Concept point modules have allowed this board to be self contained using just the connection from the BUS wire shown in the previous pictures. Two modules on this board are used to operate the six points on this section. These can be operated from the main control unit or the slave units.

Regards Brian ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-27918500-1444903003.jpg

post-3742-0-16126300-1444903237.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 4

Two post in two days, unknown. These pictures show the case clips used to secure the lifting boards in place plus the drop down side cover to hide and protect the storage roads underneath. This cover is hinged along its length using piano hinge and is held up using magnetic catches. These drop down covers have been been cut around the board catches so that these catches do not protrude and catch clothing etc. I'm not sure if this was the plan or it just happened that way. No,no, I'm sure Nick designed them this way. The side covers will be painted matt black and the brass screws holding the case catches will be replaced with black round head ones. Hopefully this all makes sense and is of some interest. 

Regards Brian. ( Wireman )

post-3742-0-84095700-1444990497.jpg

post-3742-0-73758400-1444990527.jpg

post-3742-0-08322100-1444990563.jpg

Edited by wireman
  • Like 5