Cleaning a Loco Decoder

Crewlisle

Because I was short on time I had someone install a decoder in a loco for me.  It had to be hard wired & the installer wrapped it in black insulation tape to stop it shorting out on the chassis.  I normally put the insulating tape on the chassis/body!

When I unwrap it, will it be safe to gently remove any remaining 'gunge' left by the tape with a toothbrush & white spirit? 

Peter

Because I was short on time I had someone install a decoder in a loco for me.  It had to be hard wired & the installer wrapped it in black insulation tape to stop it shorting out on the chassis.  I normally put the insulating tape on the chassis/body!

When I unwrap it, will it be safe to gently remove any remaining 'gunge' left by the tape with a toothbrush & white spirit? 

Peter

To be honest Peter I would leave any residue there. If you need to stick it to the chassis use a piece of double side tape between the decoder & the chassis.

If there was a way to clean it off I wouldn't use white spirits.

White spirits is only good for thinning paint.

If I wanted to clean anything I would use something like isopropyl alcohol.

Maybe someone else will give you a better idea ?

• RMweb Premium

How about Servisol 10?  I have a can of it & use it on my switches, solenoid motors, etc..

Peter

They are designed to make electical contact better.

The last thing you want to do is spray any liquid on a PCB - which is all a decoder is.  All you are likely to do is create a short-circuit bridge between components somewhere and  - poof -  that's it gone.

Izzy

We are not talking clean room hi-tech production, so white spirit will do it but wash thoroughly and dry afterwards.

Acetone will also do it.

Better is Isopropyl Alchohol (IPA).

Perhaps better still, in these litigious, H&S conscious times, is a purpose made no-clean and carcinogen free cleaner designed for use on printed circuit boards, but I generally find they are c**p compared to IPA :)

Servisol is designed to leave a residual lubricating film and is not suitable.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I have now removed the insulating tape & fortunately there was no residue.  Moral of my tale is that if you can do it properly yourself, never mind the time factor but have some patience & save yourself some money!

Peter

Archived