Building 5 inch gauge wagons by Doug Hewson

corneliuslundie

• RMweb Gold

According to my calendar May has now been and gone.  

So far I've seen no notifications anywhere that this book has already been published (in which case where's the copy that I pre-ordered?) or is going to be published later than planned.

Does anybody have any idea what's happening?

Dave

There was a "hopefully before end of May" in the post above.

Sit tight, it will be worth waiting for.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

The book and large sheets are are ready. The printer is awaiting delivery of the boxes for them to go in, promised this Friday. So pre-orders will be posted out early next week.

Sorry it has taken so long.

And of course if you have not already ordered a copy you can now do so from the HMRS, price £50 plus £6.50 p&p

Unfortunately our new website is not yet up and running (quite) so it will have to be the old fashioned way.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The book and large sheets are are ready. The printer is awaiting delivery of the boxes for them to go in, promised this Friday. So pre-orders will be posted out early next week.

Sorry it has taken so long.

And of course if you have not already ordered a copy you can now do so from the HMRS, price £50 plus £6.50 p&p

Unfortunately our new website is not yet up and running (quite) so it will have to be the old fashioned way.

Jonathan

No apology needed by me.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My copy has arrived, I haven't had a detailed study yet but it looks properly good, oodles of detailed wagonry and some stonking plans too.

post-19301-0-09597300-1497542747_thumb.jpg

And very nice to see it has been printed by Amadeus in Cleckheaton too, who also packed it very well.

Well done on all fronts!

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Very VERY pleased with my copy that arrived Monday.

Even more impressed with the quality, content and the shear amount of detailed info, pictures, drawings and text. AND the box that the book and drawings come in - just superb.

Best value book I have ever bought.

I just wish I had this book 20 years ago!

Thanks to all involved.

Kev.

Nice touch having your name, acknowledged, on the Subscribers page too.

I wonder if a certain Dr P A Waterman OBE realises that I am above him (by some way) on this particular honours list?     He he!

Same here, very pleased with the quality of this publication so much information I have been looking for over many years.

And yes it was a nice touch having my name in the subscribers listing, most unexpected.

No excuses now for not completing the numerous wagon kits collected over the years.

• RMweb Gold

No excuses now for not completing the numerous wagon kits collected over the years.

As well as that aspect, another thing that worries me slightly is whether I will find it necessary to re-visit old models which were done to the best of my abilities/available information back in the day!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Oh my cup runneth over! My copy was waiting for me when I got back from working in Cambridge this week. It is truely a thing of beauty, wonderfully presented; and I consider it to be phenomenal value for money. Thank you very much indeed.

P.S. I've no idea who Dr. Waterman is :-) - I'm just happy to be on the same list as Simon Castens.

I feel I should say that as well as the great work writing and illustration this book that Doug and his friends have done, Jonathan/Cornelius Lundie/my dad has put in a lot of effort getting the words, pictures and drawings to actually fit into a book. It seemed like he was working on it every time I visited for the last year or so

Edited by Talltim

Now, see I'm flummoxed.  :scared:  I wrote an email to HMRS on 16 June only to be told that the publishers were still waiting for the boxes and that shipment will be in the next couple of weeks.  This was the day after Simon said he got his. :help:

John

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Brossard if it was me who caused you to be flummoxed. For the whole of June I have been in the Balkans (not a train seen so far) and communication has been a bit fraught. When I said that we were waiting for the boxes I played safe as I didn't want subscribers to think the book was arriving and then be disappointed.

Have you had your copy - assuming that that was your query - I don't have the subscriber list here and I haven't seen the book yet.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan, no I haven't received my copy.  I put my name down by email in January and haven't had any confirmation.  I hope I'm still on the list.

John

If it's of any help whatsoever, if you're happy to pm me your real name, I can tell you if you're on the subscribers list included in the book.

• RMweb Gold

How is the book being mailed to us Johnny Foreigners, Royal Mail or courier, I only ask, as, with a remote mailbox which won't take the book, (Correos home deliveries, hah!), and hit and miss doorstep courier deliveries, I need to be aware of my contingency plans!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Were all the pre-orders shipped at the same time? If so, how long ought I wait before chasing this up? On the one hand, my copy has not yet landed in deepest, darkest Dorset, on the other the pace of life here is so pleasingly slow that I'm not sure that there's any great point in making a fuss if there's only going to be a couple of more days' wait. I did have confirmation of receipt of payment from Alan Burnett in January, so I'm assuming all is well...

My book arrived a week or two back and it was nice to see my name in the list. 

I would say I'm a little disappointed with the fidelity of some of the drawings. Some do look a bit like low resolution copies. Apart from that, a great book.