2mm Shop email addresses

dpgibbons

Hi

The second address is correct. The first is the Sales Officer who merely(!) coordinates the shops and keeps them supplied. Please don't email general orders to him as it only clogs up his inbox to no avail.

When did you send your order? Gareth might be on holiday or simply busy doing stuff in the real world. I'd allow a good ten days before sending a follow-up.

Hope this helps!

Tony (Shop 2)

And, it assumes that DPGibbons is a member.    The shops (and me as webmaster) get orders from non-members.    We do not supply to non-members for a vast range of reasons, the three main ones being;

• the 2mm Scale Association is a volunteer run club for its members, people are not paid, and volunteer to do things for members. 
  • a lot of component supply is members offering their time to make things.  If doing it commercially they'd expect full commercial rates of pay, or would simple decline to make those volumes. 
  • there is a massive accounting hassle around corporation tax for sales outside the membership.  I doubt the sales officer or treasurer will want to continue in their unpaid roles if that extra tax work was added.

Publishing the email addresses on RMWeb and public facing websites is harmful.   We keep those email contacts fairly quiet to try to stop non-member use of them.   But, hey-ho, the spammers now have access to another mailbox (sorry Gareth).    The shop lists state clearly that the addresses are in the Newsletter.  

- Nigel  (webmaster,  ex chairman, ex treasurer,  maker of components,  so I've been round the block on most of this )

When did you send your order? Gareth might be on holiday or simply busy doing stuff in the real world. I'd allow a good ten days before sending a follow-up.

Hope this helps!

It helps me. I sent an order to shop 1 the other day and had been wondering if I had got the right email address and how long it normally takes to hear back. Not any kind of complaint, just wondering how it normally works. I wonder if an automated response could be easily introduced, just to let people know, especially recent members, that they sent their order to the right place and it will be dealt with in due course and to save bothering the shop keepers with unnecessary follow-up enquiries.

• RMweb Premium

OK for those who can access the VAG, I have given up trying to join.

It could just be me, or my computer, but even though I have managed to gain membership of  Robert CWPs coaching stock group, and had membership confirmed, Yahoo still tells me that I am not a member. Similar for the VAG.

Regards

Ian

Edit:typo

Ah. Apologies if I as a new member have put my foot in it. I understand the need to restrict access to member-only areas, but covert email addresses and generic passwords seem a rather inefficient way to do it.

The shop email addresses are published in every newsletter and in the yearbook (all of which are on the website, albeit in the members area). Putting them on the shop pages or on the order form simply encourages non-members to try to order stuff (which despite the clear 'members only' instruction does happen fairly regularly as Nigel has mentioned). I'm sorry if this is inconvenient, but we haven't found a better way of doing it yet.

Andy

(current 2mm SA chairman)

Ah. Apologies if I as a new member have put my foot in it. I understand the need to restrict access to member-only areas, but covert email addresses and generic passwords seem a rather inefficient way to do it.

No worries dp (I'm assuming you have a real name, I'm not really Mr Square!).

Until fairly recently, it was all by post and cheque/card. We are trying to make it easier, but as a volunteer set-up, it's fairly limited. You'll find shop email addresses in the Handbook and in each Newsletter. They don't really change, so once in your address book, you should be okay. Shopkeepers residential addresses are also published in the Newsletter and these can change from time to time. Obviously the shopkeepers would rather these were restricted to members only.

To be fair, I've not had a big issue with spam on the shop 2 account and I welcome general genuine enquiries from members and non-members (but obviously not orders from the latter).

It's also worth noting that the shop PayPal account is a separate standalone address. When paying you should respond to this address in your money request email and not try to send money to the shop correspondence addresses.

From above comments, it does sound like Gareth has other things going on. We normally try and turn orders round within the week, but this doesn't always happen. Hope you get your gear soon!

Tony

It is extremely efficient because it takes very little admin.    Yes its not up "proper" security standards, but it doesn't need to be. 

The member area password was, historically, to limit bandwidth on a bandwith constrained server.  Now we no longer have that constraint, so its just to slightly hide a few things.  But no point pretending the things stored there are secret, because they are not.

If I were to set up a per-member login system, then I have, potentially, 900 accounts to administer.  Each will have personal data (which needs protecting), each can send queries about how to resolve a password problem (so more work for me).  

I know the sales officer has looked at shopping cart systems, but so far, the conclusion is that our decade-plus home-brew system is more flexible and less admin hassle than alternatives. 

People are very good at suggesting work for others. 

- Nigel  (webmaster, maker of more than 50% of the wagon and coach wheels the shop sells,  etc.. etc... ).

Well at least this posting has helped me!

I'm a new member to the 2mm scale Association and my first orders to Shops 1 and 2 went through ok - my Shop 2 was done virtually by return and my Shop 1 is in hand. The system seems to work fine. But I didn't know about the "VAG" so furkled around and found the info and whacked in my application.

OK for those who can access the VAG, I have given up trying to join.

It could just be me, or my computer, but even though I have managed to gain membership of  Robert CWPs coaching stock group, and had membership confirmed, Yahoo still tells me that I am not a member. Similar for the VAG.

Did you quote your membership number and real name when you applied?  If not, and the email address you used was not the one which you gave when you joined the Association, then we have no means of positively identifying you as a member and your application will be allowed to lapse as the VAG is a closed group for Association members only.  If you send me a PM with your full name and membership number I'll check whether your application was approved.   Why do people have to hide behind pseudonyms?

Well at least this posting has helped me!

I'm a new member to the 2mm scale Association and my first orders to Shops 1 and 2 went through ok - my Shop 2 was done virtually by return and my Shop 1 is in hand. The system seems to work fine. But I didn't know about the "VAG" so furkled around and found the info and whacked in my application.

Which I've just approved!   :)

Jim ( wearing his VAG moderator's hat)

The system has worked ok ever since I joined and I see no reason to change

If you want to buy something then go the extra mile and join the association and support the society

There are many more benefits of becoming a member than just buying kits etc.

As for shop 1s absence perhaps a committee member could contact him to clarify the situation

Chris GH

The system has worked ok ever since I joined and I see no reason to change

If you want to buy something then go the extra mile and join the association and support the society

There are many more benefits of becoming a member than just buying kits etc.

As for shop 1s absence perhaps a committee member could contact him to clarify the situation

Chris GH

Gareth has been busy, but I note from the Paypal account that he has done a whole batch of orders this afternoon. Occasionally we have to put 2mm things aside for a little while for family/work reasons; panic over! :D

You've all been advised of shop 3's temporary closure in February, but this is a reminder, in case you've not read your Newsletters.

Archived