32-781 split headcode class 37

hoovernut

37003 accurate??  I don't think so.  Bachmann made a complete mess of attempting to do the original cantrail grille.  They would have been better off just using the RSH type.  As a result of this cock up producing the gouge which has carried through to susequent models they have lost an awful lot of sales.  They have lost about 10 just to me!

You know what, having finally found my model of 37 003, yourself and Blueeighties etc are indeed correct  :agree:  :agree:   37003 also has said "gouge" when it should have been a strip, so yes using the RSH tooling type would have been a better option, rather than botch trying to produce the "original style" cantrail grilles, by altering the tooling, meaning that said "gouge" would appear on future models when it shouldn't be there ! 

I had wrongly assumed that 37 003 actually had a "strip" as part of the changed grilles, AND that the gouge was a left over of altering the tooling - not so !! 

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't going to buy this loco as it didn't have skirts as originally advertised. As produced it has them so I popped over to the Bure Valley at Aylsham and got one for £110.

Need to renumber it as a pre TOPS one and change the headcodes as I can't ever see Bachmann doing a pre TOPS blue one

I wasn't going to buy this loco as it didn't have skirts as originally advertised. As produced it has them so I popped over to the Bure Valley at Aylsham and got one for £110.

Need to renumber it as a pre TOPS one and change the headcodes as I can't ever see Bachmann doing a pre TOPS blue one

'Pre-TOPS blue doesn't sell,' we're told!   :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

You know what, having finally found my model of 37 003, yourself and Blueeighties etc are indeed correct  :agree:  :agree:   37003 also has said "gouge" when it should have been a strip, so yes using the RSH tooling type would have been a better option, rather than botch trying to produce the "original style" cantrail grilles, by altering the tooling, meaning that said "gouge" would appear on future models when it shouldn't be there ! 

I had wrongly assumed that 37 003 actually had a "strip" as part of the changed grilles, AND that the gouge was a left over of altering the tooling - not so !! 

Would someone be so kind as to share a photo of this 'gouge' so that the less well versed in the ways of the Class 37 can see what the problem is? Please 

I've heard that too but not much consolation when you model late 60s East Anglia

Or the Edinburgh - Carlisle line in 1968!   Fortunately only one known blue 37* worked the route whilst it was open, and Heljan are far less squeamish about pre-TOPS blue where the eight-wheeler breeds predominate!

* and that was centre panel

• RMweb Gold

I have a picture of a 37 in 1968 at Ipswich with four double arrows which I would like to model.

Not sure if I'm going to repaint the ends in the older yellow.

This project won't be undertaken until I've built the boards and a new work bench in my new model room

Would someone be so kind as to share a photo of this 'gouge' so that the less well versed in the ways of the Class 37 can see what the problem is? Please 

The gouge/recess in question is a line that stretches the full length, just below the cantrail grilles, once blown up - perhaps easier to see on the BR Green model

http://www.hattons.co.uk/182176/Bachmann_Branchline_32_781B_Class_37_0_37041_in_BR_blue_split_headcode/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/182175/Bachmann_Branchline_32_787_Class_37_0_D6714_in_BR_green_with_no_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx

No I doubt they will. Steam / greeny seems popular , as does blue, as well as up to date ( heartening for the hobby ).

I feel rather embarrassed that my next 37 bodge, I'm not even gonna move the roof air vents to the correct spot for a flush front !

• RMweb Gold

For the last 25 years I've done blue and green together.

Interesting period especially as steam more or less had finished in East Anglia by 1962 . A steam heat B1 is still quite a tempting model particularly as the Norwich based ones were known to have escaped on a couple of occasions

'Pre-TOPS blue doesn't sell,' we're told!   :sungum:

The problem may be that those of us who want pre-TOPS blue diesels have had to buy TOPS versions and renumber them, as I have done for several class 20s, 25s and 37s, for example, thus inflating the figures for TOPS version sales while providing no data for pre-TOPS !

The problem may be that those of us who want pre-TOPS blue diesels have had to buy TOPS versions and renumber them, as I have done for several class 20s, 25s and 37s, for example, thus inflating the figures for TOPS version sales while providing no data for pre-TOPS !

That's a good point, sir!

The principal issue of course is one of detail changes.  Fortunately Heljan caters admirably for the 1967-73 period, but Bachmann diesels can be problematic, witness not just the 37's skirts, but more noticeably Class 47 which has never been produced in blue TOPS with glass headcode panels and Serck grilles, so to get a run-of-the-mill pre-TOPS blue loco you've got to do surgery on one part of the machine (headcodes) or other (roof).  

We're lucky that the pre-TOPS nose end styles of the Peaks have all been done in blue either pre-TOPS or TOPS - and in this instance, it's the most common TOPS style that's never been released in the main catalogue - the sealed-up ends variant - odd hey!

• RMweb Gold

That's a good point, sir!

The principal issue of course is one of detail changes.  Fortunately Heljan caters admirably for the 1967-73 period, but Bachmann diesels can be problematic, witness not just the 37's skirts, but more noticeably Class 47 which has never been produced in blue TOPS with glass headcode panels and Serck grilles, so to get a run-of-the-mill pre-TOPS blue loco you've got to do surgery on one part of the machine (headcodes) or other (roof).  

We're lucky that the pre-TOPS nose end styles of the Peaks have all been done in blue either pre-TOPS or TOPS - and in this instance, it's the most common TOPS style that's never been released in the main catalogue - the sealed-up ends variant - odd hey!

With you on that - but only realised recently that the rad grilles are a separate part that you can very carefully remove as a single moulding so theoretically easy to change

Need replacement Sercks though...is that a market for 3d printing ...with the shutters open?

And there was Modelzone's limited edition 1662 in pre tops blue with sercks - but probably not easy to come by now.

Phil

With you on that - but only realised recently that the rad grilles are a separate part that you can very carefully remove as a single moulding so theoretically easy to change

Need replacement Sercks though...is that a market for 3d printing ...with the shutters open?

And there was Modelzone's limited edition 1662 in pre tops blue with sercks - but probably not easy to come by now.

Phil

A blog post of mine covered this conversion about 20 years ago! * 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/217/entry-2559-brush-blue-d1958-major-surgery-for-47148/

* Correction - 26th January 2010! (When I still had a layout - argh!)

On the subject of cantrail grills, has anyone looked at the Bachmann catalogue image of 37401... I can't find any photos with so many vertical bars.

OMG what the f*** are they playing at.  Those are standard RSH type cantrail grilles.  All RSH built 37s plus VF built D6705 had them.  All 37/4s are VF built series 3 machines, so no 37/4 has grilles like that.  It makes you want to scream, doesn't it?  Bachmann just don't seem to give a toss when it comes to doing 37s.

OMG what the f*** are they playing at.  Those are standard RSH type cantrail grilles.  All RSH built 37s plus VF built D6705 had them.  All 37/4s are VF built series 3 machines, so no 37/4 has grilles like that.  It makes you want to scream, doesn't it?  Bachmann just don't seem to give a toss when it comes to doing 37s.

well i imagine they do. you need to relax a bit.

agreed they have got the wrong cantrail grilles for 401. whoops.however quite often when the real thing comes it doesn't look like the catalogue

well i imagine they do. you need to relax a bit.

agreed they have got the wrong cantrail grilles for 401. whoops.however quite often when the real thing comes it doesn't look like the catalogue

If only....

I was so happy when they announced an original condition VF panel in GSYP and my wallet whimpered.

I was up for a whole bundle of them.

Then I saw that D6984 had the gouge and a stretched nose in the catalogue.

When it arrived it was exactly as in the catalogue.

It made me want to cry while my wallet breathed a sigh of relief.

And now again, the early phots of D6714 and 37041 both had the gouge and both appeared exactly as shown in the early phots from Bachmann.

So we still haven't had a decent original condition VF tractor.

It's so frustrating as we know Bachmann can produce decent models but the 37 is a comedy of errors that looks like it will run as long as the Mousetrap.

ps I used to be  member of the collectors club and ordered a limited edition D6717 long ago and when it arrived, they had made it with RSH grilles instead of VF.  The normal green splitbox on general sale at the time had the correct VF grilles (you couldn't make it up, really, all they had to do was take normal ones off the line before final printing and add a different no and SYP).  I complained to Bachmann and asked if I could return it for a refund.  They declined and  ignored my susequent emails.

If only....

I was so happy when they announced an original condition VF panel in GSYP and my wallet whimpered.

I was up for a whole bundle of them.

Then I saw that D6984 had the gouge and a stretched nose in the catalogue.

When it arrived it was exactly as in the catalogue.

It made me want to cry while my wallet breathed a sigh of relief.

And now again, the early phots of D6714 and 37041 both had the gouge and both appeared exactly as shown in the early phots from Bachmann.

So we still haven't had a decent original condition VF tractor.

It's so frustrating as we know Bachmann can produce decent models but the 37 is a comedy of errors that looks like it will run as long as the Mousetrap.

ps I used to be  member of the collectors club and ordered a limited edition D6717 long ago and when it arrived, they had made it with RSH grilles instead of VF.  The normal green splitbox on general sale at the time had the correct VF grilles (you couldn't make it up, really, all they had to do was take normal ones off the line before final printing and add a different no and SYP).  I complained to Bachmann and asked if I could return it for a refund.  They declined and  ignored my susequent emails.

If a correct looking 37 is all your worried about my friend your a lucky man. Think of the model trains  we use to have

On the subject of cantrail grills, has anyone looked at the Bachmann catalogue image of 37401... I can't find any photos with so many vertical bars.

The photo on Bachmann's web site also shows the wrong (RSH) type grilles for any 37/4.  Of note, the photos on both Rails and Hattons sites show 401 with the correct type grills, so hopefully that's what will be produced ? 

• RMweb Premium

The photo on Bachmann's web site also shows the wrong (RSH) type grilles for any 37/4.  Of note, the photos on both Rails and Hattons sites show 401 with the correct type grills, so hopefully that's what will be produced ? 

Indeed they do, and that's why I am expecting the model to be wrong...

Hatton's and Rails' images are the original images shown by Bachmann on its website and in last years' catalogue, in the same way that 37041 was originally shown by Bachmann with cut away valences. Bachmann has now updated its own images of these locos, presumably based on the approved pre-production samples, so I am assuming the newer photo is of how 37401 will appear.

The various errors are disappointing, especially since Bachmann has upgraded its Class 37 tooling over recent years to enable more variants to be modeled and to correct previous errors - remember the issues with the first Class 37s - which is to be applauded. It's almost as if it's got to the point that there are so many different tooling options, keeping track and getting each model right has become more difficult.

I've spoken to Bachmann; yes, an incorrect permutation of variant/livery was shown in the catalogue image (and as a consequence may be on some retailers' websites) but the actual model is correct. They'll send a photo over in the next few days of the actual model.

I've spoken to Bachmann; yes, an incorrect permutation of variant/livery was shown in the catalogue image (and as a consequence may be on some retailers' websites) but the actual model is correct. They'll send a photo over in the next few days of the actual model.

Thanks for that - a timely announcement before the................................!

Archived