32-781 split headcode class 37

hoovernut

The various errors are disappointing, especially since Bachmann has upgraded its Class 37 tooling over recent years to enable more variants to be modeled and to correct previous errors - remember the issues with the first Class 37s - which is to be applauded. It's almost as if it's got to the point that there are so many different tooling options, keeping track and getting each model right has become more difficult.

Indeed, and I'm left wondering if Bachmann have rendered a specific mould null and void to discerning modellers. I'd want to see one of these "gouged" models in the flesh.

However, I was never overly enamoured with the skirted Tractors in the first place.

Even before renumbering I'd cut off the awful buffers, shave the skirt, fill buffer holes and re-drill holes to receive less chubby turned brass jobs at the correct height. A worthwhile exercise though as the only other skirted Tractor available was shamefully lacking in virtually every respect.

Modelling the region in the period I do, I forsee myself hunting down 37038 models from now...until another manufacturer..!

C6T.

Indeed, and I'm left wondering if Bachmann have rendered a specific mould null and void to discerning modellers. I'd want to see one of these "gouged" models in the flesh.

However, I was never overly enamoured with the skirted Tractors in the first place.

Even before renumbering I'd cut off the awful buffers, shave the skirt, fill buffer holes and re-drill holes to receive less chubby turned brass jobs at the correct height. A worthwhile exercise though as the only other skirted Tractor available was shamefully lacking in virtually every respect.

Modelling the region in the period I do, I forsee myself hunting down 37038 models from now...until another manufacturer..!

C6T.

Have to agree, the very first versions of "skirted" 37's - (D6707/ D6826 / 37 038 / 37 238 etc) were poor representations,  thankfully however, the later versions  (37 034 / 37 031/ 37 251 /37 003 etc ) are much improved, especially the skirted nose ends.................just a shame about the "gouge"....................

Are the noses from the latter available as spares?

C6T.

Don't think they are available from Bachmann, but they do come up very occasionally on eBay..................but tend to be expensive ! 

The other issue is the noses on the original skirted 37's are part of the bodyshell.  On the later models the nose ends are separate/removable, so not a straight swap over with the early models.. 

As I understand it, some people may have other issues with the earlier batches too?

Four axle drive and they'll only take an older dcc chip?

C6T.

I've got the KMRC 37142 which I think was a first style limited edition. It was rather fussy on what chip to make it run nicely, eventually I had to use a lenz silver. Runs sweetly now

Can anyone tell me just what the head codes mean.  I am assuming 1 on the front and 3 on the rear means express passenger and express freight etc. respectively, but what are the destinations of 84 and 45.  Also where would one find a list of destination numbers, assuming of course it exists and based on my search it just might not exist.  Thanks from the GWN where it is currently getting whiter

Can anyone tell me just what the head codes mean.  I am assuming 1 on the front and 3 on the rear means express passenger and express freight etc. respectively, but what are the destinations of 84 and 45.  Also where would one find a list of destination numbers, assuming of course it exists and based on my search it just might not exist.  Thanks from the GWN where it is currently getting whiter

For anything that may have been 37 hauled, you can search for the headcode on our Fleet History website in the text search box, and if you are lucky you will get examples of that train.

Goto our website www.c37lg.co.uk and then click the Green "Class 37 Locomotive Data site" button and finally "Fleet History"

eg. When we did our 37003 model we choose 1E33 0935 Birmingham NS - Scarborough which was hauled by 37003 on 21st July 1979 and again on 12th July 1980 which fitted the era the model was depicting.

Martin

C37LG Chairman

www.c37lg.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

This has been covered in detail elsewhere, but to simplify the four character headcodes (train reporting numbers) can be divided up as follows:

First digit = type of train, 1 is express passenger and 3 is parcels or ecs.

Second, letter = destination. E, M, O, S, V are inter-regional and are used for trains going to the region. V is an inter-regional train to the Western Region, O to the Southern, S to Scotland. The other letters are used within each region, with A normally meaning a train going to London. The others may mean a Division within a region rather than a specific destination station (Region in this context is based on the former BR regions when the system was devised).

Last two digits = These are the individual number of the train. Normally the numbers are used incrementally, but in some cases there are so many trains that "101" would have to be shown as "01", meaning a reporting number was used twice.

I got some of the centre headcode ones to respray into large logo but the glazing has been stuck in with some super sticky glue so I'm putting mine into the freezer to see if that helps.

I'd try steeping them in fairly hot water -  NOT boiling ! it should help soften the bond......

I've spoken to Bachmann; yes, an incorrect permutation of variant/livery was shown in the catalogue image (and as a consequence may be on some retailers' websites) but the actual model is correct. They'll send a photo over in the next few days of the actual model.

As previously mentioned; this is the production product.

32-377A.jpg

Oh dear, I see this pass my house regularly on the Cumbrian Coast services. How do I justfy another 37 on my layout?

I wouldn't worry as it appears to be modelled as it was in the 1980's

• RMweb Gold

A missing digit - be it alpha or numeric - would be a failure - either of the headcode blinds or the driver/second man!

And do bear in mind that a significant number of train reporting codes - 25% is sometimes quoted - were incorrectly displayed.

Phil

Have to agree, the very first versions of "skirted" 37's - (D6707/ D6826 / 37 038 / 37 238 etc) were poor representations,  thankfully however, the later versions  (37 034 / 37 031/ 37 251 /37 003 etc ) are much improved, especially the skirted nose ends.................just a shame about the "gouge"....................

Pardon? That wasn't the impression you expressed when I posted the picture of my re-painted 37034 into large logo- see posts #4 and #6.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78472-modelling-another-large-logo-370-from-37057/

The nose on those models is too 'fat',which was much discussed at the time- you eluded to as much yourself in your reply.

As a result the re-tooled nose also protrudes over the buffer shanks, which doesn't occur with the early models.

Yet now you say that model is 'much improved' over it's predecessor...

Many thanks Brushman.  Does this mean that the head code on the D6714 is wrong because there is no alpha component or, and based on the reading I have done, just that the system was "flexible"? 

Re the 37 head codes on the GE section.

As this was a very insular line it was not deemed necessary to carry a letter in the L/H box.

The signalman new the 1 was an express to the destination in the R/H box and so on. The only ones to carry a letter were inter region diagrams.

Photo of D6714 in 1966 (now with SYP)

http://railphotoprints.uk/p789775444/h337bd0be#h337bd0be

The head codes shown on D6714 are correct for the 1961-62 period as used on the GE whilst allocated to 30A Stratford ( prior to receiving the warning panel)

Pardon? That wasn't the impression you expressed when I posted the picture of my re-painted 37034 into large logo- see posts #4 and #6.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78472-modelling-another-large-logo-370-from-37057/

The nose on those models is too 'fat',which was much discussed at the time- you eluded to as much yourself in your reply.

As a result the re-tooled nose also protrudes over the buffer shanks, which doesn't occur with the early models.

Same sort of conversation with me with regards to the bodyside trench. Some people really should confirm their facts before offering their 'expert' comments.

Same sort of conversation with me with regards to the bodyside trench. Some people really should confirm their facts before offering their 'expert' comments.

Perhaps you should have read my above post (copied below) before making this comment ?  I originally offered an opinion..........that's all .............

You know what, having finally found my model of 37 003, yourself and Blueeighties etc are indeed correct   :agree:   :agree:   37003 also has said "gouge" when it should have been a strip, so yes using the RSH tooling type would have been a better option, rather than botch trying to produce the "original style" cantrail grilles, by altering the tooling, meaning that said "gouge" would appear on future models when it shouldn't be there ! 

I had wrongly assumed that 37 003 actually had a "strip" as part of the changed grilles, AND that the gouge was a left over of altering the tooling - not so !! 

Pardon? That wasn't the impression you expressed when I posted the picture of my re-painted 37034 into large logo- see posts #4 and #6

I still consider the later "skirted" nose 37's to be an improvement (apart from the longer/more bulbous ends) than the original version  37 034 was used for your model of 37 116 and as I commented at the time turned out really well. 

quote "As a result the re-tooled nose also protrudes over the buffer shanks, which doesn't occur with the early models."

On both versions of the "skirted" 37's the buffers/shanks are a fixed/part of the nose ends, so with the later ends being slightly longer is neither here or there (in this context), so i'm not sure what your meaning here ? 

The original "skirted" models had various issues with the noses;

the skirts were too deep with the result the buffers were also too low 

the centre headcode panels were too high - 

the tail lights may also have been in the wrong position....

overall the nose ends were out of proportion in a number of areas, many have spent a lot time altering them, I'm sure there are threads on the subject, replacement more accurate nose ends were also offered in resin for this reason.

FWIW, and no doubt most of you know this, the early issues of D6707 (green) and 37238 (blue) have no gouge, and it would seem a shame that the same body rather than nose tooling wasn't used on D6714 as on D6707.

I can confirm that the buffers are around a scale 4-5in. too low on these early issues, I've just measured the centres at about 12.3mm above rail height, this should be 14mm.

John.

Archived