Crofton - an N Gauge Modern Image layout

DJTrains

• RMweb Gold

Yeah seeing it for the first time is scary even if you knew it was possible, at least we were prepared and knew what to do but we did have to stop the pub staff from calling 999. Hope it’s just part of the healing and rewiring inside and a temporary pause on driving. I don’t know what the current period is you have to be free of attacks but both I knew got back driving so fingers crossed for you.

Does mean more trips in Mikes comedy van for now though ;)

Get one of those laser cut mini workbenches you can pop on the table in the house and have a few small projects for the layout with that so you can keep the momentum up. See the work trays here as an idea http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/store/c6/Accessories.html

Yeah seeing it for the first time is scary even if you knew it was possible, at least we were prepared and knew what to do but we did have to stop the pub staff from calling 999. Hope it’s just part of the healing and rewiring inside and a temporary pause on driving. I don’t know what the current period is you have to be free of attacks but both I knew got back driving so fingers crossed for you.

Does mean more trips in Mikes comedy van for now though ;)

Get one of those laser cut mini workbenches you can pop on the table in the house and have a few small projects for the layout with that so you can keep the momentum up. See the work trays here as an idea http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/store/c6/Accessories.html

thanks Paul,

its a full year clear with doctors permission for driving...   any other attacks reset the clock.     I've got a desk set up inside now too so thanks for the link.   I even got Mike insured on my van ,  but Oak Road only fits in his,  So I guess the comedy Clown wagon will continue...   hopefully with less of the wheels falling off tho  :yahoo:

• 4 months later...

After taking a couple of months off from Crofton (mainly due to the winter weather and my continuing recovery)   I have now forced myself to accept that Crofton cannot  unfortunately continue in its present form.  Although its very sad for me to do - esp after so much work - from Mike as much as me -  I have to now accept my life has changed and I need to stop worrying about the layout  and concentrate on the now and getting some 'little wins'   to keep me positive..    I will therefore be slowly starting to dismantle the layout  with a view to keeping as much track, points and scenery as can be saved and put them aside for future projects.   

I had considered (with Mikes advice) to cut the layout into sections for possible relocation,  as it was built in modular self supporting sections,  but on reflection this would just move the 'problem' to a different location.     

I plan to take all the parts,  advice,  and most of all new found knowledge and skills  to make an 'indoor' layout approx 12 or 15ft x 3ft (TBC)  which will be modular and to  an 'exhibiton' standard - and which I can cope with moving and working on on my own - and more importantly will be in the house where I feel the safest,  and then I can work on it in all weathers / times of year etc.

There are many reasons for this decision,  that I wont go into here..... and as most of you know,  I came very close to death in the layout lodge,  and time has not taken those feelings of unease away.  I think the 2nd blue light rush to A&E was the tipping point for me mentally and  it continues to be tricky for me.

Sorry to put a downer into my thread,  but Onwards and Upwards as they say - and I'm looking forward to cracking on with the next plan - so you haven't seen the back of me yet:no:.     I'll leave this thread here until I start the new one -  but it will probably take me a month or so to clean out the lodge and do a stock take before working out the size, plan and location for the 'next one'. (so if you hear a big 'Groan' from Mike you'll know why:laugh: ).

Thanks to all of you for following and supporting me,  and I'm glad to have made so many new friends thru this great hobby of ours (even if I do forget your names) :tease:

So to sign off for now,  I'll leave you with some last pics of where I got to,   and if anyone has a 15' x9' space they need filling,  get in touch soon lol.

20190421_094345_resized_1.jpg.856c0155a612f9adf4d846fcbc279df7.jpg

20190421_094314_resized_1.jpg.81dcf75e4b119e265b1be32886e0d32f.jpg20190421_094324_resized_1.jpg.bd48680f096fe730e07553a20b5b8e71.jpg20190421_094328_resized_1.jpg.7a62c0acdc25e997d7f2abfaa42d7422.jpg20190421_094341_resized_1.jpg.db8ad8eb21596965aeecbff0454d4cf8.jpg20190421_094337_resized_1.jpg.2b9cfbdc303329fd439aba3481d99bd5.jpg20190421_094608_resized_1.jpg.1d577f162f7a8d93bd115668d98a3ce4.jpg

20190421_094319_resized_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Sad to see it go but I understand the reasoning completely :) I think it’s more positive to decide to carry on in a way that works for you now and being modular / portable as recovery continues you’ve got easy options to move it back out in the future. 

Being able to work safely with confidence is better for the mojo :) 

.    .    .    .

Mind you it does mean letting Mike in the house! :laugh_mini:

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Sad to see it go but I understand the reasoning completely :) I think it’s more positive to decide to carry on in a way that works for you now and being modular / portable as recovery continues you’ve got easy options to move it back out in the future. 

Being able to work safely with confidence is better for the mojo :) 

.    .    .    .

Mind you it does mean letting Mike in the house! :laugh_mini:

Thanks Paul,  its all about the Mojo and seeing it all as fun again rather than a chore / bad memories.   time to move on,  and I hear Mike is house trained these days -  altho I might need to let him out if he's had chips with curry sauce for lunch :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 25/04/2019 at 17:32, DavidMcKenzie said:

I wonder if that amazing viaduct could somehow be squeezed into a 15ft by 3ft layout :) . I wish you all the best for the ongoing recovery and good luck on the new indoor layout. 

All the best

Dave

Thanks Dave.    I haven't decided what to do with the viaduct yet.   I'd be happy to let it go to a new home - or will  store it away safe and finish it as a diorama......  fyi on its board its 1 ft wide x 7 inches tall,  length can vary depending how much you want to cut it down at the 'crossover' end.

Cheers,

Dave.

On 29/04/2019 at 20:38, DJTrains said:

Thanks Dave.    I haven't decided what to do with the viaduct yet.   I'd be happy to let it go to a new home - or will  store it away safe and finish it as a diorama......  fyi on its board its 1 ft wide x 7 inches tall,  length can vary depending how much you want to cut it down at the 'crossover' end.

Cheers,

Dave.

If my 'railway room' wasn't already completely full with my latest project (see pic below :scratchhead:) then I'd be more than interested. The viaducts an absolutely brilliant bit of modelling. Nice idea to finish it as a diorama, it would make a great photo board. 

All the best

Dave

IMG_20190502_214328.jpg.c982f010e155774c75069821902efb6c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Or kick Mike into gear and make it a module to join up to his N Gauge ideas? ;)

I think he's already got too many plans in the pipeline - none of which include a viaduct lol.

I'm sad to hear about Crofton, But I can understand the decision, I'm also in the process of tearing down my half built layout due to health reasons too. I just wanted to thank you for the inspiration you provided with Crofton for myself and can't wait to see what you move onto when you are able too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks.

I'm sorry to say Crofton has now made it into the recycle bin.   A very tough decision to make,  but necessary for many reasons.       I have kept the track, points and hardware,  plus the viaduct board,  but the rest is now gone.    If you would like to see what happens to the recycled  'parts',  then please do head over to my new thread for an Exhibition layout build  - and more importantly,  one that is a) indoors,  and b)  mobile. 

Thanks.

• Like 2