Parish End - Banana Van

martin.a.ball

Index
(to be completed - I saw somebody else do this and it seamed a good idea)

Track

(Track Plan to be added)

Traverser

Left Hand Traverser

Rolling Stock

Minerva Peckett

Minerva Peckett out the box

Pecketts on Parade Thread

Reference Photos

LMS Banana Van

Reference Photo

Banana Van build

MR 10T Van

Hickleton PO wagon

Pounsberry PO wagon

GW Toad 16T

GWR 4 wheel coaches

Reference Material

Track Plan Ideas

Peterton (10ft x 2ft)

Couplings

O Gauge Auto Couplings

Wagon Building

Chaz Harrison's side by side build of Parkside, Slaters, JLTRT

Chaz Harrison's Slaters Build Tips

Small Layouts

Bury, Thorn & Sons

Cwm Bach

Edited by martin.a.ball
  • Like 1

Hi Folks

Long time lurker, first time I've started a thread so be gentle.

I've decided to start a project in 7mm. A friend of mine has a garden railway and I like the size and weight of the locos and stock. It would be nice to have some of my own stock to take to the running sessions and a short shunting plank to occupy myself at home.

Available space is down one side of a 10ft x 6ft garden shed, so something quite short and narrow. Period will be late steam / early diesel using small industrial locos.

Lots to learn and I really am a complete novice when it comes to 7mm,

• Like 7

Welcome to the 'Darkside 'Martin.... :jester: 

It seems that  a lot of people are being drawn into 7mm mainly because of the new realises that are coming onto the market as RTR which can only be good for the hobby.  I hope you can find much enjoyment and fun from your project and you have chosen a good scale to start with 7mm has a presence of it's own each item of stock is an item in it's own right more so than other scales. You get going the DCC route? , it would make sense if you are just starting out and the sound projects do make the locomotives come alive and it's easy in 7mm. First and foremost make sure your baseboards are well supported and strong, a good foundation saves a lot of tears later on.... :cry:  

You will get loads of help & encouragement from fellow modellers on here and don't be afraid to ask if you get stuck on something as I'm sure you have seen, so get stuck in and enjoy yourself.... :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Martin

The only regret you will have moving to 7mm scale is that life is too short!

Here is an example of a compact layout designed for a friend to fit inside a 10ft long shed:

post-5673-0-29449300-1484915903_thumb.jpg

The track design was done in Templot and the tapered shape is so that the shed door can open!

If you have not already done so, consider joining the O Gauge Guild.  They are generally a friendly, helpful bunch of people.  Have a look at the Guild's website - there is a members' forum that is great for getting and sharing ideas and projects, an archive of all the past issues of the Guild magazine and something that may interest you - an online version of the Guild publication "Small Layouts Vol 1".  I think that can be accessed by non-members - it's under the Publications tab on the home page.

Regards.

• Like 7

Hello Martin.

May I add my good wishes for your venture into "THE" scale.

As I have said many times before on other threads you will not regret it. There is so much help available on RMweb so just ask and someone will provide you with the answer or make very useful suggestions. I started in 0  gauge about 6 years ago and cannot imagine modelling in anything smaller. My layout Ramchester has received much praise and when I needed help it has always been given. Long may it continue to do so.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 1

Welcome to the 'Darkside 'Martin.... :jester:

Hi Gismo.

I've dabbled in 4mm without finishing anything and may continue to dabble in both scales. One reason for starting a thread was to give me a bit more incentive to do some modelling. There is something different about 7mm, the size and detail does make it appealing.

Martin

You get going the DCC route? , it would make sense if you are just starting out and the sound projects do make the locomotives come alive and it's easy in 7mm. 

As Gismorail says, you are at the start, so a few choices to make as to what system you will use to run your trains, and lots of help from all directions on here!

Hi Jinty - I've followed Talyllyn Junction for a while now, lots of useful tips.

I'm coming from a DC background and have an Ontrack O gauge controller with walkabout by chance. DCC is probably yes although I've plenty of research to do. There are a lot of small locomotives with sound that are tempting.

Martin

• Like 2

Martin,

Welcome to 0 gauge; you will not regret your decision. The mass of the models is very appealing and whenever I look at a 4mm scale layout now my eye seems to think it's 3mm scale.

Do you have experience of building your own points in 4mm scale? If so, building them in 0 gauge will give you more flexibility in planning and most likely enable you to save space with shorter points, as well as saving money. Most of the smaller RTR 0 gauge locos will traverse 36" radius curves, but 48" to 54" can be very effective on light or industrial railway settings.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 3

HI Martin and let me join the others in welcoming you to the Dark Side, I've been here before in 2009 / 11 and now I'm back, a BLT is possible, my Trebudoc was only 9ft, (see link below) and that worked well, or you can go for a Yard, and that's an excuse to go for one of the 08's and maybe one of Paul Chetters Sound files Pauliebaby on here / Soundsloco, and a Jintyman Speaker.

Either way, ENJOY and welcome.

Hi Martin

The only regret you will have moving to 7mm scale is that life is too short!

Here is an example of a compact layout designed for a friend to fit inside a 10ft long shed:

attachicon.gifPeterton drawing.jpg

The track design was done in Templot and the tapered shape is so that the shed door can open!

If you have not already done so, consider joining the O Gauge Guild.  They are generally a friendly, helpful bunch of people.  Have a look at the Guild's website - there is a members' forum that is great for getting and sharing ideas and projects, an archive of all the past issues of the Guild magazine and something that may interest you - an online version of the Guild publication "Small Layouts Vol 1".  I think that can be accessed by non-members - it's under the Publications tab on the home page.

Regards.

That's a fantastic plan... position of the points ans baseboard joints will be critical but love the plan. 

As another (similar idea) try getting hold of a copy of the December 1996 Railway Modeller for 'Ivydale (All Hallows) -  16mm scale standard gauge layout in 12' by 2' and is a wonderful depiction of a light railway terminus. I'm sure something similar could be replicated in 7mm scale in around 10'. It's my favourite layout of all time!!

Hi Bill

Thanks for the track plan, very much what I had in mind, although if possible I want to try and get the run around loop on the scenic section. I've previously had a look round the Gauge O Guild web site and you are right the Gauge O Guild - Small Layouts Volume 1 is free to access and also full of good ideas.

Regards

Martin 

Do you have experience of building your own points in 4mm scale? If so, building them in 0 gauge will give you more flexibility in planning and most likely enable you to save space with shorter points, as well as saving money. Most of the smaller RTR 0 gauge locos will traverse 36" radius curves, but 48" to 54" can be very effective on light or industrial railway settings.

@Chris - Cwm Bach was one of the first 7mm threads I started to follow a year or so ago and one of the reason I started to consider what might fit into 10ft. No, I've not built points before but I read a lot about the benefits and seen your approach using peco components and handplot. I have a couple of peco points to play with as a start and if I needed to I might consider building something to fit the situation.

I think you'll approve of my first 7mm purchase, but I need to figure out how to post photos to RM Web first.

Martin

since joining the guild 2 years ago, ive found the best thing for me are the cheap secondhand stock and parts at the guild shows, but having experienced and knowldgable people to get advice from is invaluable

@Deffors - I made it to the Reading show just before Xmas and picked a few bits to get started. Telford, Bristol and Reading appear to be the 3 shows in the south that I've seen people recommending.

Martin

@Chris - Cwm Bach was one of the first 7mm threads I started to follow a year or so ago and one of the reason I started to consider what might fit into 10ft. No, I've not built points before but I read a lot about the benefits and seen your approach using peco components and handplot. I have a couple of peco points to play with as a start and if I needed to I might consider building something to fit the situation.

I think you'll approve of my first 7mm purchase, but I need to figure out how to post photos to RM Web first.

Martin

Martin,

To post photos, first ensure the size of each file you wish to load is smaller than 1MB. Then when you are in the editor  press the "Reply with attachments" button, which will then invite you to browse your directories and select the photos you want to load up.

Thank you for th compliment about Cwm Bach. My new project is Tonfanau Camp and the RMWeb forum starts here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111369-tonfanau-camp-it-aint-half-wet-mum/

I shall follow your progress with interest.

Regards,

Chris

HI Martin and let me join the others in welcoming you to the Dark Side, I've been here before in 2009 / 11 and now I'm back, a BLT is possible, my Trebudoc was only 9ft, (see link below) and that worked well, or you can go for a Yard, and that's an excuse to go for one of the 08's and maybe one of Paul Chetters Sound files Pauliebaby on here / Soundsloco, and a Jintyman Speaker.

@Andy - As a prolific poster on rmweb you'll not be surprised that I've come across you work down the shed. I remember seeing St Buduc in the the Railway Modeller a few years ago and I've read through Trebudoc and a number of others since then. Currently I'm keeping a close eye on Beale Street as I think our needs are very similar, somewhere to push some wagons up and down with a small industrial loco.

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Every shunting plank needs a cute shunting locomotive. I know the Dapol Class 08 is very popular right now but my choice is the Peckett E Class by Minerva. The reason why was a chance meeting with Chris Klein at the Eurotrack exhibition in 2016 where he had a bag full of Pecketts prior to their launch. He reckoned they would make a great start in O Gauge and the idea wouldn't go away so I'm now the proud owner of this.

post-3684-0-45202200-1489093668.jpg

The Pecketts on Parade thread has some great examples of other people's work and I'm looking to finish this one in BR condition near the end of steam. Does anyone have any references for photos for Peckett's in that era?

Edited by martin.a.ball
  • Like 2

Every shunting plank needs a cute shunting locomotive. I know the Dapol Class 08 is very popular right now but my choice is the Peckett E Class by Minerva. The reason why was a chance meeting with Chris Klein at the Eurotrack exhibition in 2016 where he had a bag full of Pecketts prior to their launch. He reckoned they would make a great start in O Gauge and the idea wouldn't go away so I'm now the proud owner of this.

attachicon.gif20170309_194446.jpg

The Pecketts on Parade thread has some great examples of other people's work and I'm looking to finish this one in BR condition near the end of steam. Does anyone have any references for photos for Peckett's in that era?

Here a few photos of the Peckett Es wandering around  Swansea.

post-13142-0-13266900-1489098671_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-64274800-1489098671.jpg

post-13142-0-58371300-1489098971.jpg

post-13142-0-10811700-1489098972_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-58612500-1489098972_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

As a guest operator at a friend's garden railway, one of the reason's I wanted to get into 7mm was to be able to bring my own stock to running sessions. So at the most recent event the Peckett got to stretch its legs with a few wagons in tow, picked up from second hand stalls at various shows. The following picture shows the entirety of my 7mm collection but we all have to start somewhere. The Peckett still requires number, shed plate, etc...

9Y_NV1wH3B3N-AQ1W_jwDCpHJ4N4mzd_97lSKnVO-BpI_Vwd8H3GEs6p33bxZDtWXCfUWZ-tSMj5M_KJv_tp159U_9Mqgt1tlkkxTSuZzV-PnQbtIhMFvjcFx_f_HnV3zIXvIk8S3ngEvRIJ_qXdHRldRSRejb6nCOes-E-eEliDVJkX-4P30Nu2VNXxnFunk2xy2nTX6ezJLaMWx4AZEyzs4pqV2IlBZUtuz_K-ZZs6eg6nOuapUUVu7ETmi_WswLxSR7c6W0bpARypN1ASJfTRkv-Wvd_5dspfAbOl3urJ3F5RtHSMakaoxRm0cHElBhemAFWiaww5FmgNuq37vxKHykvK32h_4qeu2nshmUgF-VH2eVoeR3O5OvjEAcB8-NtY_7B-oA9m2oZD6Lv-AGGgn6_aw0jmdGuLk4nwLQz4owi6l8Bwaawt_3zt-y9B16E2nLdAgYagZEcEIwWsiF-TxsCv-o9cYGJfigZoAAtrQtqEJOSs1Nc896EFnxJ-Qcw59_L1AQ8GuVH2Bh823Bj1_uWmt5yPx36qTv0Y2t25f_DNwoyEoTVTmSpuHRVgNsYZdXoVnPiK1i9z0wa_hB-mFDnJxBJDu2EFE6k5R1DpXcqR4giR=w1200-h675-no

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Paul. I'm at a loss with google photos. The images look ok to me and a few others, but not for all. I'll try posting a few more but if it continues I'll go back to uploading images.

Edited by martin.a.ball

Good friend of mine with the garden railway gifted me a traverser. It was used on his first layout, 20 plus years ago, and since then has languished in his garage.

Not quite sure how this fits in the plan yet.

post-3684-0-83964000-1495043410.jpg

Edited by martin.a.ball
  • Like 6