Not sure what you mean so hopefully this will help?

Edit: having realised I have google at my disposal, I now see what you mean. Looks like the entire lining has been applied a touch too high, which is a shame, but I'm not a kettle person so it won't cause me any sleepless nights. Now, if it was the 66 however :no:

post-22343-0-18329000-1531555830_thumb.jpg

post-22343-0-96005000-1531555868_thumb.jpg

post-22343-0-77928800-1531555943_thumb.jpg

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My set has arrived in the country, however it is over the customs limit for purchase price so I have extra charges to pay. That will have to wait until next week on payday unfortunately.

• Like 1

Nothing worse than having to pay duty on top of something already expensive. I bought a car radio from a Chinese seller, they didn't state that customs duty would be applicible and my goods were delivered. Heard nothing until I got a bailiff letter demanding money for their services on top of the £60 that I apparently owed them and it escalated into a £150 bill, so beware incase they have any hidden charges. I no longer order from abroad now, too much risk involved.

But that said, it'll be worth the wait and extra money.

• RMweb Premium

It better be worth the money. Extra $192, bringing it to a total of $847 including postage, around £420!!!! Still being such a limited run, it will be something to treasure for many years!

I'm not clued up fully but I thought you could have purchased it VAT Free being from NZ, and then just paid duty? Might be wrong. Just something I've read elsewhere on the forum about outside of EU shipping...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So how many people actually bought this set? Seems like only a few on here and it’s been very quiet.

I got one and I think it's a great set!  I missed the first period of reserving but so glad they opened up a second period.

I remember seeing Evening Star steam loco at at least one or two railway shows / exhibitions in the past but only ever saw the 66 at the Old Oak Common show of recent!

They are both great models and ideal candidates for making them into a box set, though glad they are sold separately for other who want just one.  Can't say I knew about the lining issue but I admire the general appeal of these fine models.  I also bought the earlier release of Evening Star (years ago) and am happy to run that around the layout... just got to decide whether to get the standard production 66 so I can keep the gloss pair for display without tarnishing them (maybe also add sound to the standard ones?).

I think a display cabinet for sets like this would be great to see, to portray some kind of 'traction through the years' theme.  It could provide a display of 'lasts' in steam and diesel ranges (i.e. for original steam builds and large-scale mass-produced diesels).  Maybe even include the early/experimental locos - 10000's, 1020x's as well as Falcon, Lion, Kestrel, DP2, DP1, etc.. 

I saw one person on here has a show cabinet with almost all of the released liveries on 66's.  It impressed me and made me think it was probably the best way to appreciate a collection more rather than run a few on a layout at a time or keeping them in boxes  :)

Glad you got your set - pity about the tax hit but then it's what it means to you and it sounds like you're really pleased!

Cheers,

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion

• RMweb Gold

Whilst it looks nice, I cant help but think that it should have its own identity, rather than using anothers.

92220 was the last steam locomotive, it got its green identity because of it.

What they didnt do was paint it Black and Yellow and name it Rocket.

66779 isnt the last diesel to built, its not the last US diesel to be built, nor will it be GBRFs last diesel either.

its just the last 66, just like the last of every other class that ceased to be built. Whilst recognising it has changed the way things are done in the UK, and a major contributor to success of privatised freight by rail in the UK, In my mind it would have been more apprpriate to celebrate its EMD heritage, than that of a steam locomotive that has no relationship to the subject, by technology, country, operator or any other measure.

A 66 In EMD demonstrator livery with GBRF markings might be nice and more appropriate.

The class 66 “EMD710” engine dates back to the mid 1980’s and the SD60/GP60.. this livery doesnt look so bad..

http://locomotive.wikia.com/wiki/File:EMD_GP60_Demonstrator.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1