Yorkshire Square

A wee hiatus for my business year end and a stock count for the Association shop 2 year end.

Also it was a bit one step forward two steps back with the F3. Having soldered the front splashers on, I filed the sandboxes down to height to meet the plate at the front of the smokebox. It was immediately apparent that the splashers were too large and didn't look right in comparison. Rather than try to shape them in situ, I reluctantly removed them . I then decided that I ought to get the chassis in place so I could see what clearances were needed for the splashers before hacking them around. Fortunately I got the splashers off without disturbing the blocks of brass just forward of the wheels. Unfortunately I damaged the splashers beyond repair, so I'll need to fabricate some more.

Anyway on with the chassis. In the absence of any 9mm wheels in shop 3, I stripped out my J94 which had oversize wheels (and for which I have a set of more suitable 8mm wheels). The frames were attacked with my biggest file (a 6" beastie) and then fettled with more finesse and smaller abrasives. The frames were soldered up and the wheels fitted. The axles on the wheels do show a little bit of wear (they are around twenty years old), but I think they should be alright:

oqyafm.jpg

https://youtu.be/zKjZqESCoMY

I had to nibble a bit of the cab floor away so that the rearmost drivers cleared it. I think I will end up cutting it all out and adding a bit of black plasticard to the chassis:

https://youtu.be/9NFtyI-_A3s

Edited by Yorkshire Square
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

Just when I thought this had dropped into a black hole, my interest is rekindled. I posted a few bits on the Workbench thread, but thought I ought to move back here. The tenement style building is progressing and I’ve made a start on the backscene. I’ll either cut this out in profile and stick over a skyscene, or repaint as combined backscene and sky.

7E892192-B277-4E65-92CF-3E1B1280C758.jpeg

58F2CDF7-D4B0-48A9-83CF-4F4DC877F39B.jpeg

E04ADFE6-96D0-485D-B55B-DA95021C4756.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I do like your red brick building, but should the tall chimneys on the back-scene be more tapered?  I would definitely cut out these buildings and use as silhouettes. 

Tim

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

I do like your red brick building, but should the tall chimneys on the back-scene be more tapered?  I would definitely cut out these buildings and use as silhouettes. 

Tim

I think you’re right Tim. I’m also a bit concerned that they’re too dark. I do want everything to be a bit dim and grimy, but they’re possibly a bit solid.

• RMweb Premium

That’s looking really good.   I would definitely use these buildings as silhouettes and reduction in colour saturation can give a good distance effect. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
Lost the thread a bit!!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

More progress last night and tonight. Rooves all done: I’ve used the Noch rubberised tile profiles. The down pipes were fabricated from brass rod and twisted wire for the brackets , the top pieces being filed up from plastic card. The courtyard paths and rough earth are now painted and the wall is taking shape.

Next up are chimney pots and weathering/clutter.

F841D2B0-7FC2-4037-9F45-01855470DFE9.jpeg

4719D01E-9298-418C-8612-9FBAC9C54230.jpeg

• Like 8

The chimney pots have been added and painted. Who spotted the misaligned buttress on the front wall? This has been fudged and then weathering has commenced. There will be a small goods type shed just to the left. But I’ll need to decide what to put behind it. Possibly some painted buildings in front of the silhouettes, but in colour.

44E770FF-B807-48CF-92A5-1BB27E36521C.jpeg

A72132F9-EC71-441E-B1A6-4C14E506B686.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

At the Wigan show, I managed to make a start on the goods station building. At Leeds, last weekend, I picked up some plastic profiles to construct the frames for the train shed. 

I made two last night and another four are required. These will then be joined with longitudinal girders and roofed. I’m thinking that there will be small tubes outside each track to take the shed legs. This will make it removable for track cleaning etc.

069EDFB8-624A-40E3-BCD4-1E2A43C1B5F2.jpeg

• Like 7