GWR Horsebox Traffic

• RMweb Gold

I have several of the Hornby model that are really underused on my layout, due mainly to not knowing their correct use in prototype trains.Photos are rare so any guidance is most welcome.I do know loaded ones were used near the front and empties were seen as tail jobs but what else.The Hornby model is a superb model and needs using more.I'd love to see a photo of one on the West of England mainline.

I have several of the Hornby model that are really underused on my layout, due mainly to not knowing their correct use in prototype trains.Photos are rare so any guidance is most welcome.I do know loaded ones were used near the front and empties were seen as tail jobs but what else.The Hornby model is a superb model and needs using more.I'd love to see a photo of one on the West of England mainline.

Rob,

Not sure if you are aware of the articles that were published in GWRJ on Horseboxes and Horsebox traffic. I cannot remember the numbers off hand, but it really is essential reading if you have any interest in these 9which you do obviously!)

Regards,

Craig W

I do not know if it also applied on the GWR but I have a copy of the Southern Railway General and Western Appendices dated 1934.

I can see no reference to marshalling instructions, but the section referring  to Horse Box and Carriage Truck Traffic states that

" Empty vehicles should be conveyed, wherever possible, by goods services and sending stations must satisfy themselves that the vehicles will arrive

at the destination station at the time required for loading"

Note that elsewhere senders of horses are required to "give as early notice as possible" (not less than 24 hours)" that animals are to be sent.

cheers

i asked a question like this of the stationmaster a while back after being told that horseboxes should be at the front and not rear of the train

this was his response

Basically treated as tail traffic and in effect they would be marshalled either front or reardepending on a number of conditions - for example in the GWR 4 wheel vehicles had to be formed behind bogie stock.  However by the 1930s it was permissible to marshal a 4 wheeled vehicle next to the engine if it was impracticable to marshal it behind the bogie vehicles.

​ive also seen a photo of a horse box in the center of a passenger train with what i can only guess was a separate portion to each other

mark 

• RMweb Gold

In 'The Great Western Railway in the 1930s', an album of photos by Godfrey Hewitt Soole, there are two photos of trains with horse boxes at the front. There is an appendix which I believe shows the diagram numbers, The first photo, plate 82, shows one box, diagram N11 on a north to west express at Patchway. The second, plate 91, shows three boxes at the front of another north to west express, which the caption notes often conveyed horse boxes. The first GWR box was diagram N16 and was followed by LMS and ex-LNWR boxes. This one was at Stapleton Road, Bristol.

Rex Conway's GWR Album has a nice shot of Duke class 3279 Torbay at Teignmouth in the late 20s with a small, perhaps LSWR, box at the front of its passenger train.

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Not sure if you are aware of the articles that were published in GWRJ on Horseboxes and Horsebox traffic. I cannot remember the numbers off hand, but it really is essential reading if you have any interest in these 9which you do obviously!)

Regards,

Craig W

Found them.

http://www.gwrjournal.com/index.php?o=&s=john+lewis&t=authors&x=48&y=14

• RMweb Gold

Rob there 2 undated photo's in C Leighs book "The Western Before Beeching" page 10 at Exeter with a horse box attached to the front buffer beam of 1450 on auto coach duties the horse box appears to be just towed in as there is red lamp on it.

O.L.D'gitt

• RMweb Gold

I was searching for a photo for myself and found several photo's of horse boxes last night none dated, Dukedog, 8 H/boxes and a brake third or composite brake on the tail at Snow hill caption says Newbury - Liverpool train going to Aintree,

down line in Somerset small, prairie, H/box B set.

there a couple of interesting photo's on here  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=railway+horseboxes&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=950&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitroWU19rRAhVFC8AKHXcrDX0Q_AUIBygC

• RMweb Gold

I was searching for a photo for myself and found several photo's of horse boxes last night none dated, Dukedog, 8 H/boxes and a brake third or composite brake on the tail at Snow hill caption says Newbury - Liverpool train going to Aintree,

down line in Somerset small, prairie, H/box B set.

there a couple of interesting photo's on here  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=railway+horseboxes&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=950&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitroWU19rRAhVFC8AKHXcrDX0Q_AUIBygC

From that Google search I came across this website. http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/129-horse-race-traffic  I have shared some model railway photos with Steve on the ipernity site. He is an accomplished model maker and seems to have a wealth of prototype knowledge. Unfortunately his page on horse and racing traffic doesn't really help your quest for GWR horse boxes. 

• RMweb Gold

From that Google search I came across this website. http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/129-horse-race-traffic  I have shared some model railway photos with Steve on the ipernity site. He is an accomplished model maker and seems to have a wealth of prototype knowledge. Unfortunately his page on horse and racing traffic doesn't really help your quest for GWR horse boxes. 

Interesting all the same clearly all the railway companies worked the horse boxes the same, tight coupled to the engine to avoid jarring the horses when pulling off and under braking.

Somewhere at the back of my mind I've see a film clip possibly Pathe News of horse box trains arriving at a Aintree for the Grand National back in the fifties, Newmarket stables had their own LNER boxes with the stable names on them.

This has some useful information about GWR horse boxes.http://www.gwrjournal.com/index.php?s=horseboxes&t=tags 

A Dobbin 

seems not all as was stated earlier the gwr in pre 1930s stated that 4 wheeled stock was not to be marshalled  in front of bogie stock when ever possible  with that said i do have a photo of a horsebox in the middle of an express train

mark

Just the three ?

OK, there's only one GWR in this rake, but in total there's ten Horseboxes, 

top & tailed with a MR CCT and LNWR Full Brake.

Horseboxes 6 x LNWR, 1 x LSWR, 1 x NER, 1 x GWR and 1 x GNR.

Must be the Welsh Grand National somewhere?  :nono: 

post-6979-0-52271900-1485967933_thumb.jpg

Archived