Dynamis and an unknown decoder?

talbotsteve

I have recently bought a class 86 fitted with a 6 pin decoder but don't know what the address for the loco is, now on my old ez controller I could wipe the old address by holding down 3 and stop, then I could write a new address to the decoder. However I now have a dynamis controller and this doesn't seem to work.

What is the easiest way to write a new address to an unknown address decoder using bachmanns dynamis system......

Already had a search but most answers seem to be the 8 to cv8 thing but without the loco address i can't get into the decoder menu.

All help appreciated, Cheers Steve.

I don't have a Bachmann system myself, but looking at the instruction manual, you do have the option to write an address on the service track.  In general, writing the address on the service track (or on a layout with no other locomotive or accessory decoders connected) will overwrite any previously set address - there's no checking beforehand that the old address you've specified matches the one in the locomotive.  The Dynamis is asking you for an address so that it can update its own roster correctly.  I'd try adding a new locomotive to the roster with the default address (3), then tell the Dynamis to change the address of the locomotive using the service track - this will set the address on the locomotive and update the roster correctly.

You don't need to be able to read anything to set the address on a programming track (service mode programming).

The EZ-Command treats the whole layout as a programming track.

How or whether the Dynamis supports a programming track, I have no idea :)

You don't need to be able to read anything to set the address on a programming track (service mode programming).

The EZ-Command treats the whole layout as a programming track.

How or whether the Dynamis supports a programming track, I have no idea :)

Looks like the Dynamis treats the whole layout as a programming track, but also has fairly good programming on main support.  The manual differentiates between 'programming on layout' and 'programming on service track', but both modes use the same terminals.  If you find yourself using the service track often, it's worth adding a small section of track with a switch to the layout, so you can direct the power from the controller to the layout or the isolated programming track as required.

.....How or whether the Dynamis supports a programming track, I have no idea :)

Looks like the Dynamis treats the whole layout as a programming track......

The original Dynamis didn't have a dedicated programming track output, but by adding the ProBox to expand its capabilities, it gains a programming track output and full read/write facilities.

The newer version (Dynamis Ultima) effectively bundles the ProBox into the main Dynamis system box (as well as adding a few more new features) and therefore the Dynamis now comes with a programming track output as standard issue.

The OP hasn't yet come back to clarify which version of the system he's using.

I don't have a Bachmann system myself, but looking at the instruction manual, you do have the option to write an address on the service track.  In general, writing the address on the service track (or on a layout with no other locomotive or accessory decoders connected) will overwrite any previously set address - there's no checking beforehand that the old address you've specified matches the one in the locomotive.  The Dynamis is asking you for an address so that it can update its own roster correctly.  I'd try adding a new locomotive to the roster with the default address (3), then tell the Dynamis to change the address of the locomotive using the service track - this will set the address on the locomotive and update the roster correctly.

Excellent, so how do I do that? I'm a bit thick.............

AS Crossland said; you don't have to know the address of loco to write a new one on program track.

Just put loco on program track and enter address of your choice which is the same with any CV, just enter new CV value over what is there.

Having said that, it is nice to have CV read capabilities.

Cheers

Ian 

• 2 years later...

I have just started using a dynamis ultima and I am trying to read/change CVS on a Hornby class 31 fitted with a tts sound decoder. At the moment i only have a 3m length of track connected to the main track output of the dynamis.  When I try to read CVs, I get a 'program 11 read error '. I am using the 'program on main' option in the dynamis.  Do I need to physically connect the program track output to a separate track, or are both outputs identical from the dynamis? ie if I select 'program on program track', will the dynamis treat the track connected to the main output as the program track, allowing me to read and adjust CVs?

CV 5 isn't supported on Hornby TTS decoders or the basic R8249 decoders.  There are a fair number of CV's for the sound section of the TTS decoders but the basic running CV's are very limited.  Suggest you refer to the decoders information sheet/manual for details.

Edited by smokebox