MRJ 252

Adams442T

It wasn't Martyn I was referring to, his article was brilliant. Excellent descriptive captioning including paint reference numbers so one can try for ones self.

Apologies: I haven't seen the issue yet. The implication is that the wrong person wrote the wrong article (Barry Norman I guess; the article should have been written by the converter). Frustrating.

Adam

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't Martyn I was referring to, his article was brilliant. Excellent descriptive captioning including paint reference numbers so one can try for ones self.

Yes, I am assuming that the loco in Martyn Welch's article is the same one as that described in the Barry Norman article? I don't think this would be the first time that the former has weathered a loco for the latter.

I'm keen to read the next part as well, so see how his weathering of loco bodies has developed over the last few years.

My copy came yesterday, in the same post as my subscription copy of ByLines. A nice surprise to have drop through the letter box.

Yes, I spotted that as well and also smiled.

Does that mean that they approve of the linkage between sausages and MRJ on this forum, then?

I couldn't possibly comment.

I do note that the Tony Wright thread is hosting a discussion about which branches of a certain newsagents have this issue in stock.

Funny old world ain't it.

When one door closes another one opens as the old French farce has it.

Bernard

• Like 2

....Does that mean that they approve of the linkage between sausages and MRJ on this forum, then?

They will if John Isherwood's "how-to" series on modelling Palethorpe's sausage vans (see separate RMWeb thread) is submitted for publication. If that happens, you will have been vindicated!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The fantastic artilce and photos on Little Bytham are worth the price of the magazine alone! Not anything like my own modelling field of interest, but extremely enjoyable read sta in the pub with a pint!

Indeed, and Normon Solomon's track gets several worthy mentions as well.

I couldn't quite see what was wrong with the M&GN girder bridge over his ECML, it looked pretty good to me.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, and Normon Solomon's track gets several worthy mentions as well.

I couldn't quite see what was wrong with the M&GN girder bridge over his ECML, it looked pretty good to me.

I think it's a stand-in based on the Airfix girder bridge, but not quite right with regard to the proportions/design of the original, so earmarked for eventual replacement.

TW has published some fantastic shots on his thread showing a prototype and modelled view of Little Bytham from an equivalent vantage point, showing amazing fidelity to the overall scene, with everything lining up remarkably closely. Given that, I think he wants to get the bridge just right eventually.

I'm still to read the new MRJ, but looking forward to it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

From my Friday afternoon, half an hour to go, glass of red wine already in hand perspective, I thought it was a good issue overall. However, when the editorial starts off by saying something to the effect that most of the readers will have childhood memories of the 1950s, and the issue draws to a close with an obituary (Roger Slade) and an advertisement for the disposal of books from the library of the late John Hayes, it seemed to me as if there was a sense of elegiac melancholia about the whole thing (Friday afternoon red wine may also be the cause of this).

Sounds like the Bigliest error ever. I'd note that the platforms of Little Bytham clearly have more people on them than any other previous railway inMRJ history. Period.

Thanks David,

I checked with my text and I definitely did not put GWR. Neither did I misspell photography, miss out punctuation marks or add a further 2 to RP25 wheels!

I'm really delighted with the way LB has turned out in the MRJ, and Paul and Barry are to be congratulated on making the whole thing look really good (in my opinion, anyway).

It's interesting your mentioning the figures on the platforms. I think there are no more than four, and none on the Up island. What's more interesting is that in every one of the prototype pictures we have there are no figures at all; one of the reasons why the station closed?

Bob Dawson informs me that he's finished the station cottages and they'll be delivered in the next fortnight. He wants some more pictures for his portfolio. I recommend horse-trading.

I think what pleases me as much as anything else with regard to LB's appearance in the MRJ is that my acknowledging of the (considerable) work of others has been left in the text. It would have been nothing without the team's work.  

• Like 7

Thanks Tony and apologies for the slightly facetious semi-satirical post to which you've replied in contrast to the other more serious comments!

I did enjoy the article not least for the excellent track plan. I do enjoy the slightly longer form of MRJ articles which I feel have a more languid style than the other magazines. With the exception of terminii photos, you tend not to see many people of platforms in photos. I guess many were taken at the weekend and in what we'd now call off peak hours. Also photographers tend to take trains either arriving or leaving when most passengers would have boarded. Of course, I agree it's not a coincidence that a station with no passengers gets closed!

David

Thanks Tony and apologies for the slightly facetious semi-satirical post to which you've replied in contrast to the other more serious comments!

I did enjoy the article not least for the excellent track plan. I do enjoy the slightly longer form of MRJ articles which I feel have a more languid style than the other magazines. With the exception of terminii photos, you tend not to see many people of platforms in photos. I guess many were taken at the weekend and in what we'd now call off peak hours. Also photographers tend to take trains either arriving or leaving when most passengers would have boarded. Of course, I agree it's not a coincidence that a station with no passengers gets closed!

David

David,

Never feel the need to apologise to me. 

In fairness, the prototype pictures (in the main) were BR official ones, taken in the mid-'50s with a view to pending (future) electrification. As such, they are brilliant, but it's clear the photographer was taking pictures of the structures/infrastructure, not humanity of any kind. 

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that the Terrier has both lions facing the front, which must mean that it is suitable only for a very limited time span. A surprising choice by the manufacturer.

An interesting article on the 08. I don't think I could manage anything that fiddly if it was in 7mm, if I could see it in the first place. I really admire those folk who work in 2mm.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

Interesting that the Terrier has both lions facing the front, which must mean that it is suitable only for a very limited time span. A surprising choice by the manufacturer.

An interesting article on the 0*. I don't think I could manage anything that fiddly if it was in 7mm, if I could see it in the first place. I really admire those folk who work in 2mm.

Jonathan

The early BR emblem was always facing front both sides, unless the painter made a mistake, it was the later post 1956 emblem that the College of Heralds got involved with.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

"The early BR emblem was always facing front both sides"

Thanks for correcting me. Not my period by half a century. And of course there is always the option (may be available, I haven't looked) of two versions of the later livery.

An odd thought. What did they do on the early double ended diesel and electric locos? A sort of Janus comes to mind.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

"The early BR emblem was always facing front both sides"

Thanks for correcting me. Not my period by half a century. And of course there is always the option (may be available, I haven't looked) of two versions of the later livery.

An odd thought. What did they do on the early double ended diesel and electric locos? A sort of Janus comes to mind.

Jonathan

I think the convention was for the lion to face the No.1 (cooler group) end.

John