Oxford N7

The big question...will it be Belpaire or round-topped boiler? I am assuming they have scanned the existing example. which bodes well for the R/T variety, ( and therefore me!).

However, the Belpaire variety could be tricky?

None the less, a very exciting announcement, and complementary to Hornby's GER range.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Guest Midland Mole

None the less, a very exciting announcement, and complementary to Hornby's GER range.

To quote Roger from American Dad, "It was...there's no word to describe it. Schmooblydong? That's not it, but it's close." :D

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

It is great to see another pre-Grouping design, and particularly good to see a GE example.

I am very pleased to note that there will be both GE and LNER versions.

The prototype is a little too modern and a little too urban for me, so I would struggle to find a case for one, but I am sure that many will.  I could always weaken, I suppose!

If Oxford manages to make a competent job of it this loco, I am sure it will be a well-deserved success.  Let's hope so.

One question, though, what's it going to pull?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It is great to see another pre-Grouping design, and particularly good to see a GE example.

I am very pleased to note that there will be both GE and LNER versions.

The prototype is a little too modern and a little too urban for me, so I would struggle to find a case for one, but I am sure that many will.  I could always weaken, I suppose!

If Oxford manages to make a competent job of it this loco, I am sure it will be a well-deserved success.  Let's hope so.

One question, though, what's it going to pull?

On your question, they ran with Gresley and Thompson non-corridor coaches, available as exquisite models from Hornby! I know, I know, much too late for your time period on your railway, but don't spoil the joy many of us have from this announcement!

John Storey

On your question, they ran with Gresley and Thompson non-corridor coaches, available as exquisite models from Hornby! I know, I know, much too late for your time period on your railway, but don't spoil the joy many of us have from this announcement!

John Storey

Hmm, thanks, but as you say not the GE version, though.  And would not GE suburban GE stock have lasted long into the Grouping years and, might it not have been more typical stock for the locomotive to pull until relatively late in its career?

We must be grateful for what we get.  If it were by Hornby we would not have a pre-Grouping livery and Hornby would fail to tool for pre-Grouping condition; Claud, J15. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Joy decreased somewhat by the realisation that there's no post-1950 version in the first batch.  Renumbering and lining possible of course, but it seems a strange omission.

Note before getting the paintbrush out, I don't think the Belpaire firebox boilers lasted very far into the BR period (not able to check at the moment).  Which doesn't of course detract from the news of another welcome addition to the fleet of RTR GE locos, and one which has been much requested over the years!

• RMweb Premium

So, 2017 has to be the year I put my Ian Kirk quint-art together. 

I presume that if you do that, a RTR example will surface, its happened to me where the locos are concerned......Jubilee, Austerity, Ivatt 2-6-0, Clan! However, a welcome loco takes me back some years. I will have to wait till the BR version turns up, but the wallet will be better off for that.....

• Like 2

Excellent news about the N7, and nice to see an emphasis on earlier variants.

Scrolling down that page, my eye was caught by the excellent value offered by this

Oxford Rail GWR Dean Goods 2534 With Snow Plough Dcc Sound

Product Code: OR76DG005XS

£22.95

That really is a bargain!

Paul

There was a discussion on GE blue on the Oxford announcement topic, but the response is probably more relevant here insofar as the liveries suitable for the N& model are concerned.

... or L77 as I tend to think of it ...

No.1001 was the only class member to be painted ultramarine, as a grey livery was adopted in 1915.  Interestingly No. 1000 was out-shopped in photographic grey, which it retained until c.1920.

All the others were out-shopped in war-time grey. 

The photo on the Oxford site (http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/oxford-rail/products/ger-k85-n7-0-6-2-no-1002-or76n7001) is the post-war version of the grey livery with the large train reporting numbers on the tank side, so if this livery is produced, it is good from c.1921.

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

I am interested to know how they are doing the sound version. As far as I know the real one is currently under going an overhaul. How did they do the Adams Radial sound and how are they doing the Dean Goods?

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Nice work for Oxford to go and pick doing this. I was thinking this would be on Hornbys radar.

Now at least the Margate based company can continue the switch to the North East Region with one less of the GE to do. So Im rather pleased. More chance of the gorgeous J21, B16, or G5 with some luck!

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

It might be all jubilation now, but just you wait until some samples appear and the wailers and teeth gnashers get going... :nono:

Well that wont be me, I am one of the few who never really cared about the mistakes with the Dean Goods. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 2

It might be all jubilation now, but just you wait until some samples appear and the wailers and teeth gnashers get going...

Nah, we're all polite and grateful on the dry side.

Anyway it's mostly a big cuboid with plane surfaces, plenty of room to conceal the motor out of sight, no firebox sides on view, what could possibly go wrong?

Sensible 'gap filling' subject choice as already remarked on, and with branchline potential too in addition to its principal role on short haul suburban.

I believe that the listed numbers relate to the first 22 built, even if they subsequently received round top boilers. This means that they will have the GER type cab windows rather than the LNER type fitted to the remaining 122 engines. Seem to have been here before.

• Like 1