Oxford N7

• RMweb Premium

Nah, the Jubilations looked like this:

'sfunny, bringing up the Jube, but the Bachmann interpretation is not entirely correct, in particular the splashers which make it tend towards a 'Castle' or some such GWR specimen, although we know that Stanier started off on that incredibly wonderful railway. I would love Bachmann to do a re-tool of this so it could run in the same frame as my Brassmasters unit.

The prototype is a little too modern and a little too urban for me, so I would struggle to find a case for one, but I am sure that many will.  I could always weaken, I suppose!

One question, though, what's it going to pull?

The two prototypes had an early (datewise) evening turn to Buntingford and back - that rural enough?

No accompanying announcement of ex-GE 4 or 6 wheelers though...

Opportunities though for both Quins and (GE) Quads to be hauled and not forgetting hat the N7s were gradually rusticated as loads increased and later classes were introduced - some were even auto-train fitted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If they eventually produce 69621 as preserved with the Metropolitan Railway crest, I'll buy one.

As preserved, 69621 has a round-topped tank. It looks like Oxford are producing the Belpaire, and as yet there's no indication that they plan to do anything else.

I believe that the listed numbers relate to the first 22 built, even if they subsequently received round top boilers. This means that they will have the GER type cab windows rather than the LNER type fitted to the remaining 122 engines. Seem to have been here before.

The first 22 got round top boilers between Feb 1940 and June 1949.  Only three reached BR still with Belpaires and they got RTs very early as follows - 9602 (6/49) / 9609 (8/48) / 9618 (7/48).  And they didn't carry BR numbers while Belpaired as they were renumbered at the same time they were re-boilered.

So if Oxford are going to get it right the GER and pre-War LNER examples should have Belpaires while any in BR livery, including their announced E9621(sic) alias 69621, should have a RT (which was fitted Feb 1946, by the way).

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• RMweb Premium

The first 22 got round top boilers between Feb 1940 and June 1949.  Only three reached BR still with Belpaires and they got RTs very early as follows - 9602 (6/49) / 9609 (8/48) / 9618 (7/48).  And they didn't carry BR numbers while Belpaired as they were renumbered at the same time they were re-boilered.

So if Oxford are going to get it right the GER and pre-War LNER examples should have Belpaires while any in BR livery, including their announced E9621(sic) alias 69621, should have a RT (which was fitted Feb 1946, by the way).

Chris Knowles-Thomas

According to Yeadons, 69689 and 69695 were the last Belpaire examples withdrawn, in 1957-8. I also have a pic of 69627 at Stratford in late 1956. That said, over 95% of N7s had round-topped fire boxes in BR days.

Was e9621 Belpaire when so numbered then?

Roy

It never carried an E prefix.

According to Yeadons, 69689 and 69695 were the last Belpaire examples withdrawn, in 1957-8. I also have a pic of 69627 at Stratford in late 1956. That said, over 95% of N7s had round-topped fire boxes in BR days.

It never carried an E prefix.

Yes but so far they've only indicated they are doing locos from the first 22 Stratford built GER and 1923/24 LNER examples. 

Chris Knowles-Thomas

The big question...will it be Belpaire or round-topped boiler? I am assuming they have scanned the existing example. which bodes well for the R/T variety, ( and therefore me!).

However, the Belpaire variety could be tricky?

None the less, a very exciting announcement, and complementary to Hornby's GER range.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Please don't mention the firebox - that way madness lies.

It'll be interesting to see if these will be suitable for BR layouts if these are Belpaire examples, but a great announcement nonetheless, and I will be getting one. As an aside, they did spread their wings later in life as the preserved example 69621 was allocated to Lowestoft in 1957, so people with rural layouts can still justify them.  There's also shots of them at South Lynn on the M&GN. 

Edited by NXEA!

• RMweb Premium

The more I think about it, the stranger it seems that Oxford have gone with a Belpaire firebox version.  I can see the point of a GE version for collectors, but I doubt that the number of people modelling the GE or pre-1930 LNER comes remotely close to those modelling BR(ER) in the 50s and early 60s. And with the round-topped firebox you also have the possibility of producing the GE blue and LNER green liveried Liverpool Street pilots for the collecting fraternity. Is it too late for a re-think?

• RMweb Premium

It is great to see another pre-Grouping design, and particularly good to see a GE example.

I am very pleased to note that there will be both GE and LNER versions.

The prototype is a little too modern and a little too urban for me, so I would struggle to find a case for one, but I am sure that many will.  I could always weaken, I suppose!

If Oxford manages to make a competent job of it this loco, I am sure it will be a well-deserved success.  Let's hope so.

One question, though, what's it going to pull?

A RTR Quint-art in the offing?

It'll be interesting to see if these will be suitable for BR layouts if these are Belpaire examples, but a great announcement nonetheless, and I will be getting one. As an aside, they did spread their wings later in life as the preserved example 69621 was allocated to Lowestoft in 1957, so people with rural layouts can still justify them.  There's also shots of them at South Lynn on the M&GN. 

I saw a pic recently of one working the Romford-Upminster shuttle, can't remember where though. It was hauling a former LMS auto train, this was just before the line was dieselised.

• RMweb Gold

69689 and 69695 withdrawn in 1957 and 1958 respectively were the only ones still with Belpaire fireboxes at withdrawal, but there were plenty of others that only received the round top firebox after nationalisationand quite a few not until the '50s.

Classes N7/GE, N7/1 and N7/2 were built with a Belpaire firebox (/GE RH drive, /1 and /2 LH Drive) and whilst two of the class didn't get rebuilt, many, including 69602/9/18/23/4/5/6/7/8/9/30/1/7/8/9/40/1 etc etc didn't get rebuilt until British Railway days and in some cases not until as late as 1956.From Oxford info I'm not sure if it is only the N7/GE they are proposing.

The more I think about it, the stranger it seems that Oxford have gone with a Belpaire firebox version.  I can see the point of a GE version for collectors, but I doubt that the number of people modelling the GE or pre-1930 LNER comes remotely close to those modelling BR(ER) in the 50s and early 60s. And with the round-topped firebox you also have the possibility of producing the GE blue and LNER green liveried Liverpool Street pilots for the collecting fraternity. Is it too late for a re-think?

If that's the only variant that Oxford are proposing for now, is it not possible to saw out the Belpaire firebox top and graft in a rounded top if you're a bit impatient and want to portray a quickie N7/4 or N7/5? N7/4 castings are available from SEF..... #justsayin'

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Umm, as per my thoughts yesterday... I think I would like one, in LNER with sound. I have a quins kit some where in the one day box. Could be a nice diversion for my OO which is RTR. I wonder if I put all the other projects to the side (I wont list them as there are SOOOOO many....) concerntrated on just the kit. Maybe not with all the grabs, handles etc..But running in OO could be very nice. 

OK I a breaking my own rule of not kit building for OO when I should be doing it for the P4 stuff! any how its my modelling time so I guess I should make the decision. This might even get my modelling mojo back again too. 

So then by the time the N7 comes out I will have the appropriate train to run behind it. (well other than the Hornby suburbans I already have)

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1

Nice work for Oxford to go and pick doing this. I was thinking this would be on Hornbys radar.

Now at least the Margate based company can continue the switch to the North East Region with one less of the GE to do. So Im rather pleased. More chance of the gorgeous J21, B16, or G5 with some luck!

Yes the N7 along with the Rapido/Model Rail J70  makes two upcoming GER locos. That leaves the J67-69 and the E4 as likely other GE options with the F4-5 and J17 being useful but less likely. Although there are plenty of other LNER options along with the ex NER locos, GNR K2 and C12 being two that spring to mind.

Edited by BillH

I am interested to know how they are doing the sound version. As far as I know the real one is currently under going an overhaul. How did they do the Adams Radial sound and how are they doing the Dean Goods?

Alex

As the Real One is under overhaul, this either indicates that the N7 has been an Oxford Rail target for a reasonably long time OR its an indication of how long its going to take them to actually produce the model.

I suspect it's the latter!

And they really do seem to have a blindness where fireboxes are concerned.  Especially Belpaire ones....

• RMweb Gold

And they really do seem to have a blindness where fireboxes are concerned.  Especially Belpaire ones....

In this case, I'm not so sure.

If Oxford are only going to do one N7, they have probably picked the wrong one. If, however, they ultimately intend to cover both versions, it may be a smart move to exploit initial demand to maximise sales of what would be the less-popular one if both were to be released simultaneously.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

If that's the only variant that Oxford are proposing for now, is it not possible to saw out the Belpaire firebox top and graft in a rounded top if you're a bit impatient and want to portray a quickie N7/4 or N7/5? N7/4 castings are available from SEF..... #justsayin'

It may come to that, but I think there are also issues with different cab shapes.  More research needed. 

If Oxford are only going to do one N7, they have probably picked the wrong one. If, however, they ultimately intend to cover both versions, it may be a smart move to exploit initial demand to maximise sales of what would be the less-popular one if both were to be released simultaneously.

John

I hope your second supposition is correct. 

Edited by Downer

I doubt that the number of people modelling the GE or pre-1930 LNER comes remotely close to those modelling BR(ER) in the 50s and early 60s. 

That may be true generally, but I think a lot of people maybe underestimate the size of the combined grouping/pre-group/collector and impulse purchaser market.