Oxford N7

The flowerpot chimney and dome on the BR version are certainly much too tall (as I said previously I think some way back). Also the safety valves are well overscale and too tall. Have to say I like the idea of an extra whistle - easy to remove and plug the holes - one for the spares box! The washout plugs look to be too low on the roundtop firebox version as well.

Also the LNER version should be lined in red for the period its meant to depict - although the red lining is hard if not impossible to see in B&W photos from the period the give away is the white black lining around the edge of the front buffer beam which indicates they were lined - think I said this previously as well.

Hope Oxford fix the chimney and dome in particular, as well as the lining issue on the LNER version - not sure they will though based on issues with their other locos - lets see.

Andrew Emmett

I visited the East Anglian Railway Museum today and saw this lovely loco...

I asked about what the plans are for 69621 and the plan is to restore their Bagnal which has been sitting in the shed having some major boiler work, once the loco has been completed the N7 will go in for an overhaul. So that hopefully will be in the next 5-6 years time.

post-32040-0-60873400-1531075019_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-04208700-1531075200_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I visited the East Anglian Railway Museum today and saw this lovely loco...

I asked about what the plans are for 69621 and the plan is to restore their Bagnal which has been sitting in the shed having some major boiler work, once the loco has been completed the N7 will go in for an overhaul. So that hopefully will be in the next 5-6 years time.

attachicon.gifIMG_3301.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3308.JPG

Really hope so!

• 1 month later...

Has there been any murmurings on this? Hattons is still showing October-December expected delivery date. If one was to be optimistic, that's around 4 weeks away... :dancing:

I have altered my list of outstanding locos from October to December to November to December, but I can't remember where I got the information from! 

I have altered my list of outstanding locos from October to December to November to December, but I can't remember where I got the information from! 

No, it wasn't Nostradamus - it was the rather more boring Rails of Sheffield!

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32888/oxford-rail-or76n7001-oo-gauge-ger-k85-n7-0-6-2-no-1002

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

According to Oxford Rail in a reply to my FB enquiry, the N7 has been produced and more details will be released once shipping details have been confirmed.

So 8 weeks on a boat, so that's December, just in time for Christmas. I Assume Oxford Rail will be at Warley so we might be able to see some finished samples. 

But brilliant news

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

And just for you P4 types there will be a replacement chassis in the new year...and (you lucky people) with inside valve gear too. Alas, no, it won’t be ‘working’...

I'd be very interested to hear more about this. Will it accommodate EM?

• Like 1

I'd be very interested to hear more about this. Will it accommodate EM?

‘Probably’ - as no design work has been done yet - we’ve only just got the etches for the J15 chassis - there is no reason why not. I’m in favour and I’m paying for it!

Edited by EHertsGER

Managed to have a look at the BR and Photographic Grey version prototypes whilest setting up at the Swansea Model Railway Exhibition. They really do look superb, the pipework is very fine, and they certainly have a lot of weight to them!

Here's some pictures of the grey version hope they are of interest!

post-20663-0-67462200-1538806459_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-73689600-1538806491_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-25411600-1538806506_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-88087800-1538806523_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-91525800-1538806533_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-03076900-1538806553_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-25420800-1538806562_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

This is looking very good, which is encouraging because this going to my first encounter with Oxford Rail. Let's hope that everything works out this time, and Oxford find that they don't get such a rough ride from supporters of the Dry Side, and conclude it worthwhile directing more effort this way.

Can't wait to see pictures of the LNER one.

• Like 2

... I liked the Adams Radial but the Dean Goods was a rotten runner.

That's me hotfoot to the Dean goods thread to find out the why of 'rotten running' unless you care to elaborate. (I have had a brief fiddle with a friend's  Oxford Radial, and the mechanism was very sweet running with a well judged gear ratio.)

Edited to add: have now read a little of the Dean goods mechanism troubles. The intermediate gears running on cast mazak stubs are familiar from of old, (Bachmann's split chassis designs) and the similar resultant troubles that arose on some of these designs. Hey ho, it's wait and see. Perhaps the N7's mechanism will be as sweet as the one Radial exmaple I have looked at, but we won't know until we have it to tinker with,.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 1

That's me hotfoot to the Dean goods thread to find out the why of 'rotten running' unless you care to elaborate. (I have had a brief fiddle with a friend's  Radial, and the mechanism was very sweet running with a well judged gear ratio.)

The first Adams Radial ran beautifully, once a problem with the front coupling fouling the buffer beam was attended to. Sadly, my Dean Goods has a tight spot, which makes it run jerkily. Some purchasers have been lucky and some have applied ingenious fixes.

Managed to have a look at the BR and Photographic Grey version prototypes whilest setting up at the Swansea Model Railway Exhibition. They really do look superb, the pipework is very fine, and they certainly have a lot of weight to them!

Could you get pictures of the BR version please?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

I thought it was the GER "wartime"* livery rather than photographic grey.

Anyway, I'm torn between that and a later LNER livery...

* Great War, that is!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s superb and surely is a turning point for OR. As long as the running is good, as already mentioned. It certainly looks like an N7, and I’m tempted to get one of each.

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

Could you get pictures of the BR version please?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Me too! Still not going to stop me getting one for my WW1 trains ;)

Will try and get one tomorrow

I thought it was the GER "wartime"* livery rather than photographic grey.

Anyway, I'm torn between that and a later LNER livery...

* Great War, that is!

• Like 2