Oxford N7

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to James and Norton for the photos above. London Toy Fair runs from Tuesday 22 to Thursday 24 January (information from Oxford's web pages), so if the N7 is on the shelves by then, it isn't far away!

John Storey

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This was published on Rails of Sheffield's website 4 days ago

"I know that many of us are eagerly awaiting the N7 locomotive, the first version should be with us early in the New Year, the container is due to land in the UK over the Festive Period."

I don't know if any of us knows what 'the first version' will be? Maybe we just have to guess!

John Storey

• Like 3

The coupler positioning problem derives from the proximity of the end axles to the buffer faces, it's an awkward subject in this respect.

Interestingly the designer has done better at the bunker end which is the more challenging location. Put up a standard NEM coupler pocket on a side elevation drawing, positioned with front of the pocket at specified distance behind the buffer faces and at correct height above railtop, and you will find the coupler pocket is right where the trailing truck axle needs to be! In brief, the standard NEM coupler pocket is incompatible with this model, and a different coupler mount design is the only way. (No real surprise, the NEM coupler pocket design was never designed for OO. Of course there may be options to overcome such problems available within the NEM scheme, but I haven't gone off to look at this.)

At the smokebox end, there is potentially sufficient space for a correctly positioned NEM coupler pocket. But the pocket mounting would have to be integrated into whatever castings or mouldings are used to represent the front end framing, as the pocket mount needs to fit between the representations of the forward frames. This in turn may need locations of screws that secure body to mechanism to be adjusted. Good examples may be found on Bachmann's 57xx and 3F Jinty which present the exact same problem.The body securing screws are concealed underneath the NEM coupler pockets.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 1

Most helpful, identifying the NEM 363. Would you believe it, there's a handy reference on DOGA's site:

http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/couplings.htm

So the bottom line is that the NEM system provides an alternative, but there are no OO RTR couplers with this fitting available.  

Realised on looking at the drawing that I have seen this 'dovetail' integrated into HO RTR couplers with the NEM 362 fitting, where it usefully provides height adjustment - surprise! HO isn't perfect in presenting all NEM 362 pockets correctly positioned - but hadn't realised that it was also a standalone coupler mounting option.

A NEM 362 cut be cut/filed to the correct shape to fit a NEM 363 socket as I have seen a Vi Trains 37 fitted with Kadee NEM 362 couplings

Did a bit of digging - it was by Nigel Burkin back in 2007 - unfortunately the web page has vanished (http://www.nigelburkin.co.uk/Railway_modelling/OMWB/OMWB2007/OMWB2007.htm) and the internet time machine has not captured the images but does have the text

"The Kadee's shank can be trimmed to the required length and two slots filed into the shank towards the end of the trimmed shank. The slots can be V-shaped to fit the NEM 363 coupling pocket and then slid into place. This is a simple solution for Kadee-users and means that the coupling cam mechanism (enables the model to be close-coupled to stock and to negotiate sharp curves) built into the model can be retained. Unlike the Bachmann Class 37, the coupling mount and cam mechanism is body-mounted - it's very effective too."

Alternatively I stumbled across this cut and shunt suggestion http://mrlforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/3201-how-preciseoly-to-fit-kadee-couplings-to-vitrains-class-37-47s-please/

Edited by Butler Henderson

Most helpful, identifying the NEM 363. Would you believe it, there's a handy reference on DOGA's site:

http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/couplings.htm

So the bottom line is that the NEM system provides an alternative, but there are no OO RTR couplers with this fitting available.  

Realised on looking at the drawing that I have seen this 'dovetail' integrated into HO RTR couplers with the NEM 362 fitting, where it usefully provides height adjustment - surprise! HO isn't perfect in presenting all NEM 362 pockets correctly positioned - but hadn't realised that it was also a standalone coupler mounting option.

Well I never! I thought the ViTrains was an oddball and never realised it was a standard. It strikes me as a very good idea indeed.

• Like 1

A good idea it will stay unless at least one manufacturer currently active in OO employs the NEM 363 where it would best be deployed, to 'get it on the radar' in OO. Assuming it was already in the NEM system twenty odd years ago when Bachmann first produced OO vehicles with coupler pockets, it could have prevented the whole 'overheight pocket mounting' problem that bedevilled their first half dozen years Blue Riband introductions.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Oxford Rail's Facebook page:

"Product Update:
OR76N7001 has just arrived in the warehouse. These will be distributed to suppliers in the next couple of days."

To be more specific the GER Liveried N7 has arrived, not long now people!!

• Like 3

Hornby made their 2019 Range announcement today, Bachmann announcement is next week, any idea when Oxford make their 2019 announcement?

Paul

Oxford Rail have for the last couple of years timed their announcement to the start of the London Toy Fair, which this year starts on 22 January.

• RMweb Gold

Rather late but spotted some more issues unfortunately (it may be they've already been mentioned but I just noticed them when looking for something else) the GERS drawings say the handrail to the rear of the bunker was added in 1929 and 1002 should possible have the westinghouse pump mounted higher on the smokebox. 

• Like 1

Rather late but spotted some more issues unfortunately (it may be they've already been mentioned but I just noticed them when looking for something else) the GERS drawings say the handrail to the rear of the bunker was added in 1929 and 1002 should possible have the westinghouse pump mounted higher on the smokebox. 

Although the GERS has produced a lot of information on the N7 and GERS Loco Coordinator Lyn Brooks has produced numerous drawings and articles which have been published in the Society Journal, I've not been made aware of any contact between Oxford and the GERS. I'm keen to buy both a GER and BR version, but reading the above comments, perhaps I will await for the reviews.

Paul 

Any minor errors aside, it looks like an N7 to me, and personally that's good enough for me. I just hope that it is a good runner, and as someone who has ordered a sound one, I hope the sound file is of good quality and authentic.  

When the first people get their hands on the GER version, please post photos and videos! I have a BR one on order which is the last version due to arrive and I'm itching to get my hands on it. 

• Like 1

... I'm keen to buy both a GER and BR version, but reading the above comments, perhaps I will await for the reviews.

There are some fairly obvious errors to my eyes on the livery sample images seen so far. Most important to me are what appear to be overheight chimney and dome on the BR round top boiler version, and that will be first thing measured after they are ripped from the boxes. (Looking at the image of GER 1002 in post 545, it is very obvious that the diverter valve rod is bent, but hopefully that's a one off damage, and would be easily fixed anyway.)

Seriously, we are not getting an alternative OO RTR Swedey Met, ever. What will reviews add to the model? If you are in possession of relevant GERS material you are well equipped, and the model will still need whatever work it takes to fix anything that you think unacceptable! I am waiting patiently for the BR versions I cab use on the layout, tooled up for whatever surgery proves necessary