Oxford N7

Is the three liveries probably going to be it?

I note Oxford keep it a bit open saying more will be added after launch, but if they're just variations on black...

Not that great with steam like this.

Alternatively, if anyone can point me in the direction of any pictures they think may be produced, that would be great.

• Like 1

1000 was light grey with black edging, GER on the tanks

1001 was GER blue

BR lined black late crest is the obvious missing one from the initial release with or without white smokebox door rings (or polished in the case of the Liverpool St Pilot)

Other black variants could be different styles of LNER lettering /BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tanks.

• Like 1

The main location where N2 and N7 were allocated to the same shed was Hatfield (BR 34C). The N2's principally for the main line KX inner suburban service, the N7 principally for the St Albans and the Hertford Luton and Dunstable branches. (In practise, at need the available loco was put on the scheduled turn.) The N2's were regularly banned from passenger work on the branches (track spreading, minor derailments, that sort of thing.) So the more 'branch line like' the layout is, definitely the N7.

• Like 1

The LNER version sadly hasn't turned up yet, but a friend of mine brought his GER 1002 N7 with him and I have to say that the locomotive is very very impressive, so much so that I've taken a few photos of it on my layout Mile End Park. 

It stands out a bit among the LNER loco's but it does look very impressive, hat's off to Oxford Rail, certainly 3rd time is a charm. 

post-32040-0-84857400-1547930833_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-20701800-1547930918_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-83519000-1547931054_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-95056100-1547931135_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-42761600-1547931277_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I’ve now altered my loco as per post #596, and additionally the model is fitted with two whistles, which I think (noted in post above) is incorrect and only the one on the right is required. More for the spares box!

Also, it’s a pity Oxford Rail put the number on the tanks not “GER” as illustrated in Yeadon’s Vol 27 page 55. I guess the control number is correct, as members of the same batch were so numbered – see page 56 – but given the date so near Grouping, perhaps not and the Train Control number is incorrect and it should be GER. Anyone have any comment?

Paul
  • Like 1

I’ve now altered my loco as per post #596, and additionally the model is fitted with two whistles, which I think (noted in post above) is incorrect and only the one on the right is required. More for the spares box!

Also, it’s a pity Oxford Rail put the number on the tanks not “GER” as illustrated in Yeadon’s Vol 27 page 55. I guess the control number is correct, as members of the same batch were so numbered – see page 56 – but given the date so near Grouping, perhaps not and the Train Control number is incorrect and it should be GER. Anyone have any comment?

Paul

I agree that it would have been nice to see 1002 with GER lettering and maybe a future release with Train Control numbering. However, given that 1002 was built in 1921 and Train Control was implemented the same year, I doubt the GER lettering stayed long and thus the version of 1002 modelled covers a wider time window (year and a half vs a few months).

Intrigued that Oxford's website suggests other versions may be tooled in the future (probably depending on the success of these initial releases) - perhaps a chance then to see 1001 in GER blue, if the correct cab is modelled?

I agree that it would have been nice to see 1002 with GER lettering and maybe a future release with Train Control numbering. However, given that 1002 was built in 1921 and Train Control was implemented the same year, I doubt the GER lettering stayed long and thus the version of 1002 modelled covers a wider time window (year and a half vs a few months).

Intrigued that Oxford's website suggests other versions may be tooled in the future (probably depending on the success of these initial releases) - perhaps a chance then to see 1001 in GER blue, if the correct cab is modelled?

The photograph in Yeadons of 1002 with GER on the tank sides, also shows the rear cab windows with guard rails, which John Gardener's research says wasn't added until 1923. The photo does show the loco in "used" condition so if the photo was taken in 1923,why has the loco "GER" on the tanks rather than the Train Control number? I'm beginning to think the Train Control number is wrong and it should be "GER".

Paul

Paul

The photograph in Yeadons of 1002 with GER on the tank sides, also shows the rear cab windows with guard rails, which John Gardener's research says wasn't added until 1923. The photo does show the loco in "used" condition so if the photo was taken in 1923,why has the loco "GER" on the tanks rather than the Train Control number? I'm beginning to think the Train Control number is wrong and it should be "GER".

Paul

Paul

I hadn't considered the guard rails and when put like that, you make a very good point!

Roughly when was it that the N7s began being displaced from the suburban services, dispersed to other sheds and used more on branch lines?

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=601407&type=S&page=alloc 

This should help. If the link above is anything to go by, almost all of them ended their days at Stratford. Ignoring ones allocated off the GE at outposts such as Colwick, Annesley, Hatfield etc, a few seem to have been sent to the countryside around 1957, and ended up at Cambridge, Lowestoft and Harwich Parkeston Quay from this period onwards. I would hazard a guess that they were displaced by brand new BTH Type 1/Class 15's which entered traffic in 1957, and the N7's would've then displaced the last F5's and F6's, and maybe some of the remaining E4's. Some non-London depots always had a small allocation of N7's throughout the BR period - Colchester for the Walton branch, and Kings Lynn for the South Lynn shuttle for example. 

• Like 1

Having read Lyn Brooks article on Train Control numbers, he states all locos within a matter of weeks in 1921 had them so added. Therefore I conclude that 1002 initially had GER on the tank side as per Yeadon photo, then quickly had it changed as per Oxford Rail model. It also means the rear cab window guards on the model are correct and suggest John is wrong in this instance saying they added later.

I managed to take a couple of phone shots of Oxford's N7 at the club the other night. Apart from its weight - which is considerable - the French Grey livery was really impressive. A beautiful model. And, at its discounted sub-£90 price tag, quite good value, too.

Once upon a time, I'd have bought this model simply for its irresistible looks: sadly, I do not have a use for it though and will just admire it from afar....

46079897924_40e1283586_c.jpg

]46805032481_1c31739fcf_c.jpg

Tony

• Like 4

For those uninitiated, what is GERs train control system ?

A light number against a light background on an object that quickly gets dirty, seems somewhat odd ?

From the GERS website:

"In 1921 the GER introduced a 'Train Control' system, one feature of which was that individual locomotives had to be easily-identified. To facilitate this, the GER initials on tank and tender sides were replaced by large yellow serif numerals. These were applied to all locomotives over a short period of time - probably only a few weeks - and on most locomotives this was done at the running sheds. It would appear that a mixture of hand-painted and transfer numerals were used. Photographs show variations in the shapes of the actual numerals used - some engines having flat-topped '3's, for example. In a few instances, it would appear that the numerals were outlined in a darker colour - black or perhaps vermilion.

By this period, there were a few locomotives still in the blue or black livery, but these also had the large numerals applied. Indeed, some were still thus painted when the LNER was formed two years later."

Paul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From the GERS website:

"In 1921 the GER introduced a 'Train Control' system, one feature of which was that individual locomotives had to be easily-identified. To facilitate this, the GER initials on tank and tender sides were replaced by large yellow serif numerals. These were applied to all locomotives over a short period of time - probably only a few weeks - and on most locomotives this was done at the running sheds. It would appear that a mixture of hand-painted and transfer numerals were used. Photographs show variations in the shapes of the actual numerals used - some engines having flat-topped '3's, for example. In a few instances, it would appear that the numerals were outlined in a darker colour - black or perhaps vermilion.

By this period, there were a few locomotives still in the blue or black livery, but these also had the large numerals applied. Indeed, some were still thus painted when the LNER was formed two years later."

Paul

For the same reason I believe, the Midland painted loco numbers in large characters on the sides of their tanks or tenders.  I think the GER followed the Midland's lead in this respect.  I believe signalmen needed to be able to read the numbers of passing locos, in order to report them to Control.

• Like 1

Paul

So we need to remove the whistle on the right-hand side of the locomotive - you mean the fireman's side of the locomotive? - Not correcting, just double checking. :) 

Edited by Norton Wood

• RMweb Gold

It does get complicated when early ones were LHD and later ones RHD!

So we need to remove the whistle on the right-hand side of the locomotive - you mean the fireman's side of the locomotive? - Not correcting, just double checking. :)

It does get complicated when early ones were LHD and later ones RHD!

Certainly does, I'm mainly asking as my colleagues at my model club who own the GER version were wondering about what needs altering. As I'm ordering the LNER version the only thing I'll need to remove will be that extra whistle and then renumber the locomotive to match the N7 type that Oxford has modeled. As has been said the 7990-9 series of loco's, OR have modeled so 7993, will cover that nicely for me. 

Thanks to those who have put up all the correctional information on this threat you've been very helpful. :) 

And, once we have our Oxford N7s in our sweaty little hands, the next question is ............

Who makes 4mm scale destination boards for them?

Some of the reviewers seem to believe that the destination board brackets are additional lamp irons.

Martin

:senile: