Oxford N7

Coming back to the N7 I ran in my LNER version on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's test track at Godlingston Manor Barn at Swanage this evening. It ran very well and was quite heavy. I thought it would be interesting to compare it with models of the N2 0-6-2T. I have not tested its haulage ability yet but with its weight I expect it would match that of the Hornby Dublo N2. The N7 was much better detailed with daylight under the boiler and a modelled cab interior. It should also be able to haul a much bigger load than the Mainline or Hornby N2s. The Mk2 green coaches just happened to be available when I tested the model but they could represent the N7 with a heritage train.

026.JPG

• Like 10

All to like in appearance and leading dimensions. That gets my vote for loco of the year. (Mine's about to get altered to represent the last Hatfield-Hertford passenger turn in 1951, worked by 69695.)

My first assessment of traction, it's over-supplied, about 270g bearing on the driven wheels resulting in 38gf at the drawbar as received. That's good for near 20 coaches/70 wagons on level track. 

In reality the N7 needed very careful management on a pair of quadarts, the N2 being far superior in maintaining steam supply working out of KX 'up the Northern heights', according to the Hatfield shed driver I knew in my youth.

The N7 allocation at Hatfield was really for the three Hatfield branches, on which they were competent to take loads of up to 150 tons on the reverse curve gradient out of WGC toward Dunstable, which was through woodland just to compound the difficulty in autumn.

That's why the N2's were generally used for goods on the branches such as the 'tip' trains transporting London's gash to Hertfordshire's worked out sand and gravel quarries*, and from the Vauxhall works at Luton, 240 tons no trouble. They were a little heavy for the branch (and a ban from passenger turns had to be repeated periodically) but needs must and all that.

*Sixty and more years on, and you may still repeat our teenage entertainment of seeing which of the methane vents would light on the capped off tip sites. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2019 at 08:21, Robin Brasher said:

I am modelling the preserved Swanage Railway.  The preserved N7 made several appearances on the passenger service on the line both in LNER livery and in BR livery. I have just received the LNER version. Perhaps the different versions of the N7 are made in different factories and some have taken longer to produce them than others.

Interesting - I wasn't aware 69621 had worn LNER livery in preservation? Does anyone have any photos?

8 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Interesting - I wasn't aware 69621 had worn LNER livery in preservation? Does anyone have any photos?

For a brief period in LNER days it ran as 7999 after rebuilding with RT firebox and before the LNER renumbering to 9621. Thus its owners could legitimately paint it in LNER black in preservation, which they did in 1996 for the 150th anniversary of the Eastern Union Railway (which amalgamated with the Eastern Counties to form the Great Eastern in 1860). It was displayed in Ipswich on the site of the former 'Ipswich loco' (since gone to housing) along with B12 and E4 and GE rolling stock. Alas pre digital camera but someone must have an image they can post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll have a dig. 'twas a super day. Blazing hot, Britannia and the 306 on the mainline, visiting HST on rail tour duty. Two or three pints in the pub over the road from the WRD watching England trim up the Jocks! 

C6T. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Not very good scans of a couple of slides, and the rear view only features because I photographed the two coaches next to it, so it's been cropped quite a bit!

96-241.JPG.878315acad2c543e453de63cd9623b5a.JPG

96-243.JPG.1c493a1a3700245277eb43b8953337e9.JPG

Presumably somebody has some better ones.............

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Saw my first of these at Lord and Butler’s today, and they are an impressive amount of locofor the price.  Not a GE expert so can’t comment on realism, but it looks pretty good to me, and if the performance is good Oxare on to a winner.  

Now to check wheel spacing and spoke count to see if it’s any good as a chassis donor for a South Wales engine...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Not very good scans of a couple of slides, and the rear view only features because I photographed the two coaches next to it, so it's been cropped quite a bit!

Not that good but some phone snaps of prints taken at the time. last 2 images credit M Deeks for anyone who wants the air pump detail

Before_open_day.JPG.62acf5865c9b8f6d26f823accd49fba6.JPGDuring_open_day.JPG.d0759abdf94d14314f91f7df05dc8092.JPGRear_threequarter_view_md.JPG.ba4296d4b9a588f77da288eab88148b6.JPG1947448912_WestinghousePumpmd.JPG.c17deb10f901c5a2ff01d0c7a77c8d8c.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm actually deluding myself if I think I can build a South Wales prototype with this as chassis donor (was thinking in terms of rebuilt Taff 04).  No such locos were allocated to Tondu and hence no such are of much use on my layout, as no such locos ever worked past Tondu into the valleys beyond it that my layout represents.  There may have been workings from Treherbert into th Llynfi valley, but I'm a few miles east of that, so it's Tondu types only for me, and even then I can't indulge in 64xx as they came after my period...

7 hours ago, Tramshed said:

For a brief period in LNER days it ran as 7999 after rebuilding with RT firebox and before the LNER renumbering to 9621. Thus its owners could legitimately paint it in LNER black in preservation, which they did in 1996 for the 150th anniversary of the Eastern Union Railway (which amalgamated with the Eastern Counties to form the Great Eastern in 1860). It was displayed in Ipswich on the site of the former 'Ipswich loco' (since gone to housing) along with B12 and E4 and GE rolling stock. Alas pre digital camera but someone must have an image they can post.

We could have painted it any colour we wanted and it would be prototypical. Almost nothing hacks off owners more than somebody saying a livery is unauthentic when it is actually on the loco. This is particularly so when you had owned it for longer than any of its former owners (and in the case of the N7 the current trust). I am happy if somebody said it looked odd then OK, but it's a pity we did not arrange for it to be pained in GER blue while in use to get the frothers out. Also it is always worth thanking those who chipped in for the repaint.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Fantastic, thank you!

• Like 1

Purchased and took my new LNER N7 into the 'paint-shop' thought I'd spiv the loco up with some work on the buffer shanks in black as per LNER practice, brass work, stainless steel ring, and safety valves. 

I think the engine looks great, but the loco needs to be weathered for it to fit into the fleet, so I'll have the loco weathered and renumbered as 7993. Looking forward to showing the end result :)

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody successfully fitted an LNER version of the N7 with the DCC decoder recommended for the loco by Hattons (their DCR-8pin Direct)?

I tried this yesterday but the back of the decoder overhung the chassis and so the body would not fit back on.  I was only able to make it fit by extending the mounting holes on the loco pcb into a slot (needle file) and moving the pcb forward a few mm.  Incidentally, if you modify pcbs with drills or files or saws be very careful not to breathe in the dust.  Be very careful also to stay away from pcb tracks (obviously).

The decoder was definitely mounted correctly, pin 1 to pin 1 (clearly indicated on decoder and socket).  Loco moves in the correct direction.

I exchanged a few e-mails with Hattons who say that they've previously fitted these decoders into N7s without problem but will check to see if there has been some subtle design change by Oxford Rail affecting the LNER locos.

I'm not unhappy with Hattons.  Oxford Rail would not have told them of any small design change so they would not have known if they had not been told unless they had  tried to fit one to a recent LNER loco.  I like that decoder and would probably do the same again if I buy another N7.  I've probably  invalidated my warranty by modifying the pcb but that's tough.  

If you are thinking of getting the Hattons recommended decoder I should pause a while unless you are prepared to modify the pcb - or unless somebody has successfully fitted one and I have overlooked something basic (but I don't think I have)

Malcolm H

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, malcolmh said:

...If you are thinking of getting the Hattons recommended decoder I should pause a while unless you are prepared to modify the pcb - or unless somebody has successfully fitted one and I have overlooked something basic (but I don't think I have)...

I can tell you that the pretty large 8 pin wired Lenz Standard is an easy fit!

Would the Hattons direct decoder fit wrong way round? Change the directional bit in CV29 and you are done, no lights or anything to bother with after all

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it was slightly worse the other way.  I normally do buy wired decoders but this time I went with the direct plugin one recommended by Hattons which would have been very neat if it had fitted.  Now I've modified the loco pcb mounting holes it is pretty neat!  Just that not everyone would want to do that to their new engine!

• Like 1

Oxford Rail have posted the following on Facebook:

'OR76N7004- N7 Late crest
Livery detail includes white smoke box ring, White chimney top. Full lining including Westinghouse pump and a red smoke box number'.

The artwork shows 69670.

I will be a happier bunny when I have my early crest version.

Martin

:senile:

• Like 1

Further Details from Oxford Rail regarding the newly announced BR Late Crested N7 - New Photo attached 

OR76N7004- N7 Late crest: 
Livery detail includes white smokebox ring, White chimney top. Full lining including Westinghouse pump and a red smokebox number. 

I asked in the comments for those interested if they'd be up for producing an LNER Lined Round Topped Boilered N7, to which they replied Everything is possible...So fingers crossed :D 

61936369_2330960153782955_8912142450135400448_n.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not that particular one but this is a well know pic from Palace Gates - 

Personally I don't think it suits them at all but it is historically accurate. Obviosuly this is the red smokebox number, not the white trimmings. Not sure how long they would stay white!

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 5