Oxford N7

After a brief examination, without actually dismantling anything, it looks like the axles are 2mm dia. This rules out the Exactoscale wheels, but does mean that Gibson's P4 or, I imagine, EM gauge, conversion set for the J15 will do the job. 

We'll find out during the week and let you know...

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 23/06/2019 at 15:49, EHertsGER said:

After a brief examination, without actually dismantling anything, it looks like the axles are 2mm dia. This rules out the Exactoscale wheels, but does mean that Gibson's P4 or, I imagine, EM gauge, conversion set for the J15 will do the job. 

We'll find out during the week and let you know...

Very interesting - thank you. Any information on conversion would be most welcome.

On 17/06/2019 at 17:30, 247 Developments said:

Were also working on the full set of Smoke Box Numbers for the Oxford N7 

& will be out later this year

Any thoughts of producing an etched smokebox door ring in stainless steel? I have a SE Finecast kit to make up and would like to replicate the polished ring typical on many N7s. I am not sure I will be able to achieve the concentricity of the ring by painting. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, wilks said:

Any thoughts of producing an etched smokebox door ring in stainless steel? I have a SE Finecast kit to make up and would like to replicate the polished ring typical on many N7s. I am not sure I will be able to achieve the concentricity of the ring by painting. 

Good idea. 

On 26/06/2019 at 14:18, Norton Wood said:

I sent Grimy Times my LNER N7 having looked far too clean. Having re-numbered it from 8011 to 7993. I think it’s turned out brilliantly so thanks to them for there work 

2D2CD679-B4CF-45E5-8D02-B657188369D6.jpeg

E043C98E-BE0A-4CA4-89B9-A2083FF52BFB.jpeg

That looks like a nice job, but slightly confused by locos 8000-11 not having vacuum ejectors but 7900-9 did from build, therefore were dual fitted.

Did Grimy Times add any extra detail other than vacuum train brake pipes to the buffer beams?  On the right hand side, there is a pipe from the firebox to the smokebox, is that the vacuum ejector pipe? If so, should it be on 8011 and Oxford Rail got it (slightly) wrong?

I have trawled through my RTCS book part 9A for the info above, which I hope is right. If the pipe is as I suspect, then your repaint is correct. Not a major issue, but actually beneficial for modellers requiring a dual fitted loco, including me!

Tod

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

That looks like a nice job, but slightly confused by locos 8000-11 not having vacuum ejectors but 7900-9 did from build, therefore were dual fitted.

Did Grimy Times add any extra detail other than vacuum train brake pipes to the buffer beams?  On the right hand side, there is a pipe from the firebox to the smokebox, is that the vacuum ejector pipe? If so, should it be on 8011 and Oxford Rail got it (slightly) wrong?

I have trawled through my RTCS book part 9A for the info above, which I hope is right. If the pipe is as I suspect, then your repaint is correct. Not a major issue, but actually beneficial for modellers requiring a dual fitted loco, including me!

Tod

Thanks for your message; 

Grimy Times fitted nothing extra to the model bar the Steam Heat pipe running on the front buffer beam which comes with the model, I spent a long time surfing through photographs online and via the Yeadons to find the N7 which matched the profile of the model Oxford produced. Which ended up coming from the Wikipedia page, as I always say re. Locomotives you cannot argue with photos. :) 

To answer your question, yes the extra pipe on the Drivers side running from firebox to the Smokebox is the Vac-ejector, honestly I don't know if 8011 should or should not have it, because I couldn't find a photo of it I made a decision to re-number and weather it as per the photo so I can run it as prototypically as possible. Next plan is to get a 3D Printed kit of a LNER Quint - art set for it :)

The only other things which I did before it went away for weathering was paint the buffer shanks black, paint various parts of the brass work and paint the stainless steel ring on the door. 

65258057_520178152140936_3488236669600006144_n.jpg

Suburban_train_for_Brentwood,_GER_section_of_the_LNER_(CJ_Allen,_Steel_Highway,_1928).jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Norton Wood said:

Thanks for your message; 

Grimy Times fitted nothing extra to the model bar the Steam Heat pipe running on the front buffer beam which comes with the model, I spent a long time surfing through photographs online and via the Yeadons to find the N7 which matched the profile of the model Oxford produced. Which ended up coming from the Wikipedia page, as I always say re. Locomotives you cannot argue with photos. :) 

To answer your question, yes the extra pipe on the Drivers side running from firebox to the Smokebox is the Vac-ejector, honestly I don't know if 8011 should or should not have it, because I couldn't find a photo of it I made a decision to re-number and weather it as per the photo so I can run it as prototypically as possible. Next plan is to get a 3D Printed kit of a LNER Quint - art set for it :)

The only other things which I did before it went away for weathering was paint the buffer shanks black, paint various parts of the brass work and paint the stainless steel ring on the door. 

Suburban_train_for_Brentwood,_GER_section_of_the_LNER_(CJ_Allen,_Steel_Highway,_1928).jpg

Quint-Art? Bill Bedford!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Norton Wood said:

Thanks for your message; 

Agreed, no argument there, the ejector pipe can be clearly seen above the condenser pipe at the smoke box. So a big thanks to you for the info and photo. I have already painted the buffer shanks black as soon as it passed its running in session, plus a bit of brass on some pipework and other detail. I can now confidently go ahead with a renumber and a bit of weathering. I mustn't forget  to fit the pipes to the buffer beams.

Thanks again,

Tod

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 23:59, wilks said:

If you can let us have the size needed its something we can look at

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2019 at 23:59, wilks said:

6 hours ago, 247 Developments said:

If you can let us have the size needed its something we can look at

The smokebox ring was a feature of most if not all GER locomotives. As different boiler diameters were used perhaps they could be made available in several sizes. This could also reduce production costs by producing them concentrically on one fret one inside another.

Edited by PhilJ W

Yes, I know the coupling rods are on upside-down - but they are still the same length!

So, conversion of an N7 to P4 or EM. One set of Alan Gibson J15 conversion wheels (Hornby, for the use of), a set of six crankpins, a pair of 3’ 9” wheels (I ‘borrowed’ a 12 spoke Exactoscale pair I had in my stock - they should be 10 spoke) and some small jeweller’s type screwdrivers. Remove the retaining plate and set aside. Follow Gibson’s conversion instructions for the J15 (see ‘Downloads’ here: http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/)

Reassemble.

5BD42E86-698E-4EEC-A85B-53850CB1BC0F.jpeg.0756b681dc6ca2090b9ae15d3749ded9.jpegC164C951-8B5D-4219-91E0-039EA2BF6423.jpeg.37eae5d13d39cc29efa41737e884912a.jpegIt all seemed pretty straightforward to me. My only concern is that the wheels barely fit within the splashers. With the footplate assembly being metal, they could wear off the paint and cause a short. We’ll have to wait on that.

Otherwise, next rainy afternoon you have a plan...

best,

Marcus

Update: I have since been tinkering about under the N& and found that, if one dispensed with the bearings in which the 2mm axles run and simply let the axles run in the chassis casting cutouts, these will take a 1/8" axle and hold it there accurately.

As one who hoarded Exactoscale wheels for this very day, I am quite pleased!

So, for those who find Gibson's 2mm axles invariably come with a wobble fitted as standard (or is it my ability to mount them?) and would prefer to use 1/8" axles, please d so, as they will fit. I haven't bothered with a picture as they do look very much the same as the above! I changed the truck wheel, though... 

are very closely - as in as close as anyone 

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update today from Hatton on the my pre-ordered N7 69612 round topped boiler, early BR lined black:

”Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between July 2019 & September 2019

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. 

This information is to be used as a guide only”

So perhaps in time for Christmas, we shall see.

//Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I purchased one of the LNER ones last weekend from John Dutfield’s, Ken, who is one of the shop directors, told me that they checked its running before purchase and told me that is runs extremely well. He wasn’t wrong, such smooth operation and crawling speed straight from the box. It has a nice weight to it and the printing is nicely done. I can’t find fault with it! An extremely beautiful model by Oxford, even the enclosed cab looks the part. The only things I will change on it, due to personal preference, is take off the NEM couplers and pockets, fit screw links and paint the wheels to the very edge of the rims.

This model does indeed fill me with confidence in Oxford Rail and hopefully they’ll consider other Great Eastern models in the future... T26/E4 would certainly not go amiss *wink wink nudge nudge say no more sir*

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Flyingscotsmanfan said:

...This model does indeed fill me with confidence in Oxford Rail ...

I rather hope they have climbed most of the learning curve now and can build on that standard. I have observed before that this game isn't perhaps as simple as some think, even when already experienced in making model product; as there are a whole lot of constraints to be worked around in making a  working model that must function with a heap of pre-existing kit. The clear evidence of some remaining inexperience is the poor location of the NEM pockets, there are better solutions possible, but overall a good piece of kit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

IJust thought i’d pose a teaser..

A lot of people don't like preserved renumbers for events, but you dont have to have been alive in the 1950’s to appreciate history... this event was over 25 years ago now, and will be my lost childhood i’ll try to recreate...with Oxfords N7.

Ive actually never seen “either” ;) of them since...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, scots region said:

Its fascinating and a more than a little upsetting, that in a few years there will be more alive people who remember steam through preservation than remember the operational period.  

If you are talking UK, with regular operational steam ending in 1968, now in excess of fifty years past, and typical lifespan somewhat over eighty years now; a significant majority of those now living can only have seen steam operating in a preservation context. Sorry and all that...

• Agree 4