Oxford N7

Now the fingers of my right hand are in full working order, I went after the access to the cab interior. All pretty straightforward, it's the Belpaire version being described (as the round top is now hidden away as my Christmas gift, and I am strictly enjoined that playtime is temporarily over for that one...).

Footplate, tanks and bunker body are a single casting. Bunker coal rails and 'coal' are two plastic mouldings, coal rails lift off, coal levers out, this was the only piece that put up any resistance, broke one cemented in peg locator. (It is possible that these two steps are not necessary, but they are where I started the mangling.)

Entire boiler, smokebox including saddle and splashers, and cab spectacle plates and roof, is an assembly of multiple plastic mouldings. Unplug the condenser pipes (if present) from the tank tops, remove the four small crosshead screws on the underside, shine a light into the bunker to spot the two small locators for the rear spectacle plate, push these out of the casting: and an exceedingly neat assembly comes away from the casting. (Very favourably impressed with the fits between cast and moulded, effectively invisible. I can see some folk thinking that since most the boiler barrel and firebox sides concealed by the side tanks are actually present that a small 0-6-0 could be produced, especially as the entire drive line remains concealed with the side tanks absent.)

And now the cab interior may be toned down with suitable filth. Other detail adjustments such as removal of one of the bridle rod representations and such, are easily accomplished with parts separated.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:23, PaulG said:

...I don't think the BR MK1 non-corridor stock as manufactured by Bachmann ran on the GE in 1950s...

Belatedly, oh but it definitely did, in one select location. The little connection to the GN section from Cambridge. Whether an N7 ever met this stock there (or elsewhere) is another question.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Belatedly, oh but it definitely did, in one select location. The little connection to the GN section from Cambridge. Whether an N7 ever met this stock there (or elsewhere) is another question.

Sorry, but what do you mean by ‘the little connection to the GN section’?

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The half dozen miles from Cambridge GE to Shepreth, where it made an end on junction with the GN route which diverged from the ECML just north of Hitchin.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 13:23, PaulG said:

I don't think the BR MK1 non-corridor stock as manufactured by Bachmann ran on the GE in 1950s. Certainly in the 1950s anything GER, some NER and Gresley teak (and as we learnt at the GERS meeting yesterday) Gresley steel non-vestibuled stock.

Paul

Mmm, I'm gonna weigh in on this one as well.

Much of the research for my neverwazza of an extention of the Hadleigh branch set in 1959 concentrated on actual workings of the various lines radiating off Long Melford. As a consequence hauled passenger stock was deemed catered for in full by Mk.1, Gresley and Thompson suburban types of a brake, composite and full third of each type, with the pleasant benefit of mix n matching types to represent different trains but only needing a total of nine coaches. 

Most of the research came from the Past & Present series, but I can guarantee had I not seen them in images, the Bachmann Mk.1 suburbans wouldn't have been on my shopping list.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
Book series title
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, Isinglass models has produced a kit of the LNER GE Quint-Art set of coaches, some of you know I'm writing a blog on the build I do recommend the kit, but like all things lots to do.  

Photo of my LNER N7 7993 on the front at my local club layout

IMG_0021.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 09/12/2019 at 15:57, LNERandBR said:

Any info on what the sound is like on the DCC Sound version?

Weighing up if it's worth holding out for the BR version with Sound or not.

The January 2020 issue of Hornby Magazine shows how to fit sound to these models if you are interested.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 15:57, LNERandBR said:

Any info on what the sound is like on the DCC Sound version?

Weighing up if it's worth holding out for the BR version with Sound or not.

Nothing on Youtube yet for ones with factory fitted sound. I checked out videos of the Dean Goods with factory fitted sound, and to my ear the sound seems to be of decent quality, and uses ESU/Loksound kit IIRC. Hopefully the N7 will be to the same standard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Brian Indge said:

The January 2020 issue of Hornby Magazine shows how to fit sound to these models if you are interested.

Yes, but I was wondering how the Factory Fitted version stacks up against other projects and if it's worth waiting for.

The cost for factory fitted looks to be lower then loco and an add-on sound decoder/speaker.

• Like 1

Looking for a second '69612' to convert into '69621', I was both pleased and saddened to find it has sold out at all of my favourite emporia for export sales. So much for waiting for discount... Oxford have a success on their hands, I hope the J27 does as well, perhaps I should pre-order a second now?

Please do not fill the thread with replies that 'XVZ still have 2 in stock'..it was not the purpose of the post. Well done Oxford!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/12/2019 at 14:22, LNERandBR said:

Yes, but I was wondering how the Factory Fitted version stacks up against other projects and if it's worth waiting for.

The cost for factory fitted looks to be lower then loco and an add-on sound decoder/speaker.

The sound fit looked disappointingly difficult  - might be one of those where it makes more sense to by the manufacturers sound fit , hope they have used a decent speaker and a  reprogrammable decoder. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2019 at 19:29, Norton Wood said:

For those interested, Isinglass models has produced a kit of the LNER GE Quint-Art set of coaches, some of you know I'm writing a blog on the build I do recommend the kit, but like all things lots to do.  

Photo of my LNER N7 7993 on the front at my local club layout

IMG_0021.JPG

Hello Norton Wood

Could you tell me what minimum radius these can be made to go round? Radius 3?

Are the bodysides in one piece?

Many thanks

Brian

Additional text: 13.50 today

Hello again Norton Wood

I can see from your blog that the sides are all in one, but would still like to know about radii if possible. And do all knobs etc come with the kit?

Cheers!

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
Additional text
  • Like 2

I bought a couple of the BR liveried variants. I usually go for at least one early crest and one late crest. The reason I bought two early crest ones is that I don't fancy buying the late crest one if its going to have all the white embellishments on it, therefore renumbering and re-cresting was a better option. The early crest 69621, being a Colchester loco can stay as is. Coming from 30E myself, I'm more than happy with that. I did fancy a 30A SF loco though, so enter my friend Mr J. E. Connor who very kindly renumbered the other and fitted a late crest.  It will look rather nice on Sumatra Road hauling my rake of quint arts. Here's some piccies of 69614:

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 20/11/2019 at 17:27, Classsix T said:

Mmm, I'm gonna weigh in on this one as well.

Much of the research for my neverwazza of an extention of the Hadleigh branch set in 1959 concentrated on actual workings of the various lines radiating off Long Melford. As a consequence hauled passenger stock was deemed catered for in full by Mk.1, Gresley and Thompson suburban types of a brake, composite and full third of each type, with the pleasant benefit of mix n matching types to represent different trains but only needing a total of nine coaches. 

Most of the research came from the Past & Present series, but I can guarantee had I not seen them in images, the Bachmann Mk.1 suburbans wouldn't have been on my shopping list.

C6T. 

Hello ClassixT

I certainly agree and I can find Mk1 non-gangwayed stock on the Buntingford branch and elsewhere during the late 50s. And the 1957 Carriage Working book shows the stock booked for 5.57pm SX Liverpool St to Cambridge.

Brian

• Like 1

On 16/12/2019 at 12:09, BMacdermott said:

Hello Norton Wood

Could you tell me what minimum radius these can be made to go round? Radius 3?

Are the bodysides in one piece?

Many thanks

Brian

Additional text: 13.50 today

Hello again Norton Wood

I can see from your blog that the sides are all in one, but would still like to know about radii if possible. And do all knobs etc come with the kit?

Cheers!

Brian

Hi Brian, 

Thank you for your message, hope you enjoyed looking through the blog. 

Anyway, it's funny you should ask as I was asked a few days ago what was the tightest radius the Quint could go through and I was amazed to find they could go through 2nd radius curves...However it is a tight fit and I do not recommend it, but 3rd radius is fine. 

As for the kit, sadly it does not come with wheels, buffers, Westinghouse brake pipes, steam heat pipes, lighting Jumpers & Alarm Tell-tales, door handles, door locks and the metal work for the under frame. Which is a feature of Part 6 for my blog giving details of where to get those parts. But I assume your after the door handles and locks so I recommend going to Dart Castings for those items. The Links I have provided below.

The kit does come with;

• Sides & Ends 
  • Sole bars 
  • Roof & Roof Vents 
  • Bogies
  • Spacers for the articulation points 
  • Seats & Wall partitions 
  • Spares - Although any major component which is damaged will be replaced by Isinglass for free. 

I hope this answers your questions 

Thanks 

Tom

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2816.php

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2809.php

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/lnec007/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Tom

Very many thanks for this - I have a Quint set now on order and will follow how you get on via the blog. Generally speaking, my construction skills end at opening the box, so I will be on a steep learning curve! :)

Brian

Well do enjoy how I get on, do send me a message or put a comment on my blog if you have any questions regarding the build, I am sure I can help out, I will admit this is my first crack at one of these. I assume you've gone for the Isinglass product, I will say be VERY careful when building it as the sides and bogies can be very fragile! I also look forward to seeing how you get on. Just for my own interest are you going down the LNER Teak route or the BR Crimson route and have you gone for an Early or Late production set? 

Photo below was taken 2 minutes ago this evening on the early phase of Mile End Park

IMG_0077.JPG.5a4263177980d5cc0205b218011c9de5.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1