Oxford N7

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 18:33, scottishsteam said:

I managed to pick one of these up in Oxford's "factory reject bin" on Sunday at Model Rail Scotland for £20. It was advertised as a non-runner with split gears (which I have now fixed), but the chimney is also not sitting correctly on the smokebox. 

I am a recent returnee to modelling with limited skills, can anybody suggest what might be the best way to remove the chimney so that I can reattach it in the correct position? I can live with it (especially for £20!) if it is a very difficult task. 

You lucky man!

The chimney simply isn't properly seated. Try pulling it out. Then investigate why the locating spigot doesn't go down the hole in the smoke box until fully seated. It will likely be useful to take the body off the mechanism to attend to the fitting.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You lucky man!

The chimney simply isn't properly seated. Try pulling it out. Then investigate why the locating spigot doesn't go down the hole in the smoke box until fully seated. It will likely be useful to take the body off the mechanism to attend to the fitting.

Many thanks; ended up prying off gently. One spigot had snapped, so both cut flush and chimney glued back on. Not perfect but for the price paid I can't grumble!

8011.jpeg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on this page. 

However I've been creating the perfect scene for the N7 & Quints on my layout, Mile End Park has been progressing well ( Which you can follow on my blog :) ) Just need to look into getting some LNER 52'6 stock now. 

IMG_1149.JPG.1c0a2508d81458d3119f1618c81e99a3.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG.91db04dfbd079e92cb791aec336ab696.JPG

• Like 5

Oxford have their own manufacturing facility by their account. The motor is a very smooth running sealed can, reputedly a coreless design and  of unknown pole count. My two examples to date had a slight amount of gear noise out of the box, an hour of running saw the mechanism effectively quieted up to a scale 60mph as  the loudest sound is the wheels on the rails. There was a slight whine at maximum speed, way faster than the real thing would move. Good traction as the model is heavy for its size, will pull any realistic load you care to hand on the hook.

The weakest aspect arguably the less than elegant mounting of the couplings, the front coupling in particular protruding well forward.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since anyone posted on the N7 page. 

Has anyone purchased a sound fitted model & what is it like? I fancy one of these & might go the extra for a sound fitted one. 

I usually look on YouTube to see if I can find a video of a factory fitted model so I can decided if it is worth the extra spend. I have looked but the only ones I can see are aftermarket fitted models.

They do look a very fine model & its certainly something i am thinking of adding to my collection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased with my first N7, and thought I'd like another.  But with no sign of the announced second BR version arriving I thought I'd buy another of 69612 and renumber it.

I had a few other modifications in mind, one being to change the LNE 'flower pot' chimney to the original GE type; for this, I've got a white metal chimney from an old Wills kit which would suit.  So I was surprised on looking at the new arrival to find that it already had a GE chimney!  Not quite believing my eyes, I looked again at the first one - sure enough, LNE 'flower pot' chimney, albeit possibly on the tall side?  The picture below shows the two together and hopefully you can see the two types of chimney; the new arrival is in front:

IMG_3380.jpg.3d1248552f7ae2fae41af51da2726f4e.jpg

From the new one, I've already taken off the superfluous condensing gear operating lever, and the reversing lever on this side - the model has them on both sides but it only needs one, on the driver's side.

I've got a picture of the real 69612 taken in the 1950s with a GE type chimney, so I'll leave the new one as it is and think of a different number for my original model.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, 31A said:

Very pleased with my first N7, and thought I'd like another.  But with no sign of the announced second BR version arriving I thought I'd buy another of 69612 and renumber it.

I had a few other modifications in mind, one being to change the LNE 'flower pot' chimney to the original GE type; for this, I've got a white metal chimney from an old Wills kit which would suit.  So I was surprised on looking at the new arrival to find that it already had a GE chimney!  Not quite believing my eyes, I looked again at the first one - sure enough, LNE 'flower pot' chimney, albeit possibly on the tall side?  The picture below shows the two together and hopefully you can see the two types of chimney; the new arrival is in front:

From the new one, I've already taken off the superfluous condensing gear operating lever, and the reversing lever on this side - the model has them on both sides but it only needs one, on the driver's side.

I've got a picture of the real 69612 taken in the 1950s with a GE type chimney, so I'll leave the new one as it is and think of a different number for my original model.

I would be interested to know how you get along with removal of the number on the model, wondering if Oxford numbers are as easy to remove as Bachmann's numbers from models, or otherwise how far down the 'stubborn' scale they are?

Thanks (in advance) & Stay Safe!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Opelsi said:

I would be interested to know how you get along with removal of the number on the model, wondering if Oxford numbers are as easy to remove as Bachmann's numbers from models, or otherwise how far down the 'stubborn' scale they are?

Thanks (in advance) & Stay Safe!

And the answer seems to be "NO"!  Neither T Cut nor acrylic paint thinner seems to touch them.  I resorted to scraping with a curved knife blade which I don't like doing as I always manage to damage the surface, and this was no exception.  I may have to resort to re-painting within the lining panel.  Oh well, it doesn't need to be a very clean engine!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

And the answer seems to be "NO"!  Neither T Cut nor acrylic paint thinner seems to touch them.  I resorted to scraping with a curved knife blade which I don't like doing as I always manage to damage the surface, and this was no exception.  I may have to resort to re-painting within the lining panel.  Oh well, it doesn't need to be a very clean engine!

Well I finally got the numbers off the other side without using a blade, they put up a good fight though.  It took about an hour whilst watching TV, scrubbing with T Cut on a cotton bud, and the point of a cocktail stick.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2020 at 19:09, 31A said:

Thanks 31A for this. 

I've removed the condensing gear lever as you have. Can you confirm it is the reversing lever on the same side which needs removing. 

Like you I'm really pleased with my N7. So far I've cosmetically tweaked a few areas on the model and shortened the NEM pockets adding Bachmann short couplings. This has enhanced the appearance dramatically. I'll do a blog entry shortly. 

I'm looking for a 31A shedded example and looking at BR Database it looks as if 69617 was allocated to Cambridge in February 1957. 

Looks like I'm in for a wrestle removing those Oxford tampo printed numbers.

Thanks once again. 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Thanks 31A for this. 

I've removed the condensing gear lever as you have. Can you confirm it is the reversing lever on the same side which needs removing. 

Like you I'm really pleased with my N7. So far I've tweaked a few areas on the model and shortened the NEM pockets adding Bachmann short couplings. This has enhanced the appearance dramatically. I'll do a blog entry shortly. 

I'm looking for a 31A shedded example and looking at BR Database it looks as if 69617 was allocated to Cambridge in February 1957. 

Looks like I'm in for a wrestle removing those Oxford tampo printed numbers.

Thanks once again. 

Mark 

Yes, it is the reversing lever on the same side as the condensing gear lever which needs taking off these particular N7s, i.e. the side visible in my photo above, as they were right hand drive - you can see the reversing wheel inside the cab, on the driver's side.

Yes I am really pleased with mine; the one I bought first has been in regular use since I bought it in October, and has always worked very well.  There's some really nice detailing, e.g. the Westinghouse pump and pipework, so I can forgive it a few shortcomings!  The N7s were a class of numerous detail differences and I think the BR version of the model best represents the 69612-69621 batch, so 69617 would be a good 'un.  I'm looking for pictures of 69618 myself as it was a GN section loco for much of the BR period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 31A said:

Yes, it is the reversing lever on the same side as the condensing gear lever which needs taking off these particular N7s, i.e. the side visible in my photo above, as they were right hand drive - you can see the reversing wheel inside the cab, on the driver's side.

Yes I am really pleased with mine; the one I bought first has been in regular use since I bought it in October, and has always worked very well.  There's some really nice detailing, e.g. the Westinghouse pump and pipework, so I can forgive it a few shortcomings!  The N7s were a class of numerous detail differences and I think the BR version of the model best represents the 69612-69621 batch, so 69617 would be a good 'un.  I'm looking for pictures of 69618 myself as it was a GN section loco for much of the BR period.

Thanks once more 31A. Offending reversing lever now removed. 

I'm glad I found some N7/4' s allocated to Cambridge. Certainly makes life easier. I've only found one photo so far of 69617. 

Look forwards to seeing your take on 69618 eventually. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

According to the Oakwood publication the 3 push-pull N7s that worked the Saffron Walden branch between 1956 and ‘58 when it was dieselised were 69651, 69690 and 69692. 69720 also gets a mention, being the loco used on initial trials on the line. There are some pictures of N7s in the book, let me know if you’d like me to take a look for anything in particular.

Hope this might be of some use!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Colin said:

According to the Oakwood publication the 3 push-pull N7s that worked the Saffron Walden branch between 1956 and ‘58 when it was dieselised were 69651, 69690 and 69692. 69720 also gets a mention, being the loco used on initial trials on the line. There are some pictures of N7s in the book, let me know if you’d like me to take a look for anything in particular.

Hope this might be of some use!

Thanks Colin. That's a very kind offer. 

Out of interest what is the title of the Saffron Waldron line book you have? 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark

The book is just called “The Saffron Walden Branch”, author is Peter Paye.

Price is £18.95, I bought mine off a stall at a local exhibition.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following on from Unit basher's post, does anyone have a factory sound fitted version they can take a video of? The GER sound version appears to have sold relatively well so people must have them, but no sign of them on any forums etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With a few days off I've started to attack my N7. 

Like 31A mentioned previously the numbers take some elbow grease but perseverance and T-Cut applied with cotton buds did the trick. It has also left a suitable finish to apply the new numbers. 

I'm going for 69620 which was sheded at Cambridge in the mid-50's.

I'll do a blog entry over the next few days but a few tweaks have certainly lifted this model to another level. 

I've also ordered a sheet of smokebox number plates from Pacific Models. See 4BRE20:

http://www.pacificmodels.co.uk/smokebox-numberplates/4mm/br-eastern-region

More soon. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for the delay in posting. Here is my renumbered and detailed Oxford N7 finished as 69620 of Cambridge 31A in the mid-50's.

N7 Part 1

I'll do a blog entry in the next few days to highlight what work I have done. With a few tweaks the appearance of this lovely model is enhanced. 

The Pacific Models numberplate for reference. Excellent service and a great product. Well recommended. 

N7 Part 1

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 31A said:

That's very neatly done, Mark!  How did you do the shed plate?

I removed the printed factory one with T-Cut and replaced it with a Fox Transfer sealed with Johnson's Kleer before sealing with Vallejo satin varnish applied by airbrush. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 46444 said:

I removed the printed factory one with T-Cut and replaced it with a Fox Transfer. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Thanks Mark, Fox transfers - didn't think of them!  I shall have a look.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1