Oxford N7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andy Reichert said:

Is the chimney removable?

Andy

I think it should be removable without too much effort.  When I bought my first one the man in the shop took it out of its box to test run it, and the chimney fell off!  I said never mind, I can glue it back but he insisted on selling me a different one.  If it doesn't fall off, it looks as though you should be able to push it off by pressing against the locating peg from within the smokebox.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree with 31A. Mine was easy to pull out. There are two pegs seating it in the mounting. 

I didn't intend to pull it out either. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, 31A said:

Here's a picture of mine, renumbered as 69618 using HMRS Methfix transfers and a numberplate from 247 Developments.

IMG_3413.jpg.01ebf3a90587e1f4a7cc3008a3d90b8e.jpg

Very nicely done. 

It shows what a good model this can be. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Very nicely done. 

It shows what a good model this can be. 

I wanted to tick "Thanks" and "Agree" at the same time!  Glad you like it; yes I think some weathering brings out the detail in the model, and when you're doing it you get to appreciate how well detailed it is, especially in areas like the Westinghouse pump and the pipework around it, for example.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What an absolutely fantastic loco this is in all liveries. 

I'm so looking forward to receiving my late crest N7 on pre-order with derails.

If anyone is interested they still have this loco available to order for £84.70. This is the lowest price I've seen to date.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, 31A said:

I wanted to tick "Thanks" and "Agree" at the same time!  Glad you like it; yes I think some weathering brings out the detail in the model, and when you're doing it you get to appreciate how well detailed it is, especially in areas like the Westinghouse pump and the pipework around it, for example.

Thanks 31A. I'd agree with you totally. 

The more you look at it whilst working on the loco you realise how clever the designers from Oxford have been. 

For me like Black 5 Bear has eluded to it's something of a bargain. It's one of those models that if desired can be lifted to another level with a few hours work. 

Also I'd imagine Oxford would be able to develop other N7 variants quite easily if they are prepared too. 

Funnily enough I was going to model 69618 myself. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Courtesy of Black 5 Bear. 

Derails website and the version 31A and myself have used... 

https://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=N7&product_id=2229

Hopefully of some help. 

Cheers, 

Mark

Only UK shipping apparently.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Andy Reichert said:

Only UK shipping apparently.

Andy

Sorry about that Andy. I didn't realise. 

Try Rails. They may be able to help.. 

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32892/oxford-rail-or76n7003-oo-gauge-class-n7-br-black-early-crest-0-6-2-tank-locomotive-no-69612

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those interested I have posted a blog entry detailing the work I undertook on my model of 69620. 

Thanks, 

Mark

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Downer said:

Still waiting on the sound version of the early crest.

Yep, I keep on thinking of getting a standard model and fitting an aftermarket sound chip as there seems to be no indication of when the factory fitted ones will arrive, but I don’t think any chips and speakers will fit without hard-wiring due to the restricted space in the bunker. 

• Like 2

I managed to finally find a video of a GER one with factory fitted sound.   

Sounds good overall, but I can't work out whether the whistle sounds a bit off, and if that's the Westinghouse pump at around 1:06 it sounds a bit fast. 

Compare the noises mentioned to this video of the real thing: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klGh644qWWI&frags=pl%2Cwn 

Both videos not mine I hasten to add.

• Like 1

Turning back to my P4 conversion after mugging up on LNER liveries means I now have to line it (and renumber). Does Oxford plan on a lined LNER one - one would think so as all condensers had gone by the time they went plain black. If so, I’ll strip the condensers and go for the postwar ‘belpaire’ look...

Those of a more selective nature may be able to convince the assembled company that their LNER N/7 is as running c1932/33 when Stratford shops ran out of red paint temporarily due to the scarcity of material during the depression. Best check your Yeadon/RCTS before making such assertions, though. We can't be fooled that easily, you know!

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given that the next release - 69670 - was an N7/5, can anyone tell me what visible difference there was between an N7/5 and the subject of their previous releases, the N7/3?

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Downer said:

Given that the next release - 69670 - was an N7/5, can anyone tell me what visible difference there was between an N7/5 and the subject of their previous releases, the N7/3?

There's a can of worms!  I think the main difference is that it was left hand drive whereas the models so far produced have been of right hand drive locos.  They've provided the front of the reversing lever (in front of the side tank) on both sides so it's just a matter of removing the one on the fireman's side, but more significantly the pipe along the boiler from the cab to the smokebox was on the other side; in fact I think it should run below the handrail rather than above it.  And the cab interior would be different with the driver's controls transposed (but the cab interior as depicted on the existing models shows a Belpaire firebox anyway!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As Steve says it's a big mess!

The part 5s are rebuilt part 1s - the first ones that were built by the LNER, so Left Hand Drive. The part 1s were similar to the original GE built ones, but when rebuild lost their belpaire firebox for round topped ones.

Part 2s were belpaire fireboxed but long travel valves.

Part 3s were the final ones built - round topped box from new, different bunkers, long travel valves etc. The part 2s were rebuilt later to part 3 spec.

Part 4s were rebuilt original GE built ones with round topped firebox - so as 69621 is now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1