Oxford N7

And different Parts had different wheel sizes - I'll have to look it up. There was a very good magazine article that I copied some years ago

Railway Bylines June/July 2002. All the info on differences rebuilds etc.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 31A said:

The cab side windows in a different place on the later ones would probably be a show stopper for conversion!

Didn't Iain Rice do that in his 'White metal locomotive construction' book IIRC?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 46444 said:

Didn't Iain Rice do that in his 'White metal locomotive construction' book IIRC?

He might well have done; I did it with a Wills kit by cutting the windows out, re-positioning them and using low melt solder as filler to "make good" but I wouldn't like to do it on one of these!

• Like 2

Without delving into RCTS/Yeadon and so on, the N7/3 has 3’ 6” dia trailing wheels, had a different bunker and rear window arrangement and so on...did Oxford release an N7/3? Not as far as I can tell.  8011 was a N7/GER as was 1001 (technically not an N7 but an L85).  The BR ones were numbered as N7/1s rebuilt as N7/4 which might excuse the cab front spectacles as remnants of the belpaire firebox that went before...

..and (unless you are being period specific to 1932/33) 8011 should have been lined...

AFAIK

best,

Marcus

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All

has anybody heard anything of the sound version of the LNER N7 (OR76N7002XS) to be approaching the shops? AFAIK, the analogue version is available since late 2019.

I wonder if this may have somenthing to do with ESU switching from Loksound 4 to Loksound 5.

Any rumours worth to be spread?

Best,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Guardian said:

Dear All

has anybody heard anything of the sound version of the LNER N7 (OR76N7002XS) to be approaching the shops? AFAIK, the analogue version is available since late 2019.

I wonder if this may have somenthing to do with ESU switching from Loksound 4 to Loksound 5.

Any rumours worth to be spread?

Best,

Mark

Likewise the BR sound version.  Oxford’s willingness to keep its customers in the loop is non-existent. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Downer said:

Likewise the BR sound version.  Oxford’s willingness to keep its customers in the loop is non-existent. 

I spoke to Oxford HQ on their customer service line the other day as I'm waiting on the BR sound version like yourself - wasn't complaining or kicking off, just curious as to the wait and desperate to get my hands on one of these lovely models. They didn't go into detail, but they're having to work through issues with the chips and issues with the finish - on the latter point bearing in mind they've already issued analogue versions of the first three releases I suspect the issue with the finish is with the tarted up late crest version.  

Having asked the chap on the phone, he said its better to get an analogue version and fit with after-market sound for now - so the factory fitted sound versions may be a while. Space in the bunker is limited so not sure whether they're having problems getting the V5 kit to fit? 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, NXEA.  Kind of makes my point though. Why can’t Oxford keep us informed about developments as a matter of course?  

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NXEA! said:

... they're having to work through issues with the chips and issues with the finish - on the latter point bearing in mind they've already issued analogue versions of the first three releases I suspect the issue with the finish is with the tarted up late crest version...

My feeling would be win some sales, just release a standard late crest model DCC Ready, follow up with the delaying doodads later. (I too was wondering quite how a sound decoder and squeaker is going to fit neatly within...)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Downer said:

I was under the impression they’d already released a DCC sound version of the grey GE loco. If so, why the problem now?

The sound on the grey GE loco is good but bears little relation to the instructions. Some features, including the firebox flicker, are missing.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/07/2020 at 20:00, NXEA! said:

They didn't go into detail, but they're having to work through issues with the chips and issues with the finish - on the latter point bearing in mind they've already issued analogue versions of the first three releases I suspect the issue with the finish is with the tarted up late crest version.  

20 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

My feeling would be win some sales, just release a standard late crest model DCC Ready, 

Perhaps they've had second thoughts with the running number they announced, as it was a left hand drive loco!

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

Any updates on the late crest N7?? Just curious as I have one on pre-order, and we now seem to have finalised dates for the J27s and J26s whilst the N7 is still "TBC". If it's going to be much longer I might bite the bullet on 69612. 

Cheltenham Model Centre give an availability date of 31.03.21 whilst other outlets state August/September this year.

Hope this assists.

• Like 1

https://i.ibb.co/Kzwsjyr/1598961956779847767895847266586.jpg

And it has arrived!! It is a stunning model, my first Oxford Rail loco, and the value for money is incredible. Metal construction, excellent decoration, smooth-ish runner (not quite as good as most recent Hornby, but better than most Bachmann). Visually the only thing I'd mark this model down on is the daft front coupler (which has now been removed!) and the lack of a smoke box number plate.

Running-wise, it does make a slight clicking noise on second radius curves, but only when running forwards. Should I be concerned?

Edited by nathan70000
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nathan 70000,

It might pay you to check that none of the pick ups has been distorted or otherwise damaged. The should be bearing accurately on the rear of the loco tyres, but can get snagged in the spokes (hence clicking) if misaligned.

Regards,

John

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/05/2020 at 11:09, 31A said:

Very pleased with my first N7, and thought I'd like another.  But with no sign of the announced second BR version arriving I thought I'd buy another of 69612 and renumber it.

I had a few other modifications in mind, one being to change the LNE 'flower pot' chimney to the original GE type; for this, I've got a white metal chimney from an old Wills kit which would suit.  So I was surprised on looking at the new arrival to find that it already had a GE chimney!  Not quite believing my eyes, I looked again at the first one - sure enough, LNE 'flower pot' chimney, albeit possibly on the tall side?  The picture below shows the two together and hopefully you can see the two types of chimney; the new arrival is in front:

IMG_3380.jpg.3d1248552f7ae2fae41af51da2726f4e.jpg

From the new one, I've already taken off the superfluous condensing gear operating lever, and the reversing lever on this side - the model has them on both sides but it only needs one, on the driver's side.

I've got a picture of the real 69612 taken in the 1950s with a GE type chimney, so I'll leave the new one as it is and think of a different number for my original model.

Based on hearing of the chimney fix reported here, I ordered two new 69612 N7's from Hattons a couple of weeks ago (end August) . They just  arrived but darn it, they still have the incorrect hybrid chimneys. Now I'll have to contact Oxford to see what's going on.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 2