Oxford N7

On 21/06/2020 at 12:42, Bucoops said:

Ah yes - Part 2 onwards the trailing wheels reduced from 3'9 to 3'6 (possibly the same time the truck for it was redesigned).

There wasn't a separate "truck". The frames were just narrowed there for greater side movement and clearance. Suspension wise, they were like 0-8-0's

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Reichert said:

There wasn't a separate "truck". The frames were just narrowed there for greater side movement and clearance. Suspension wise, they were like 0-8-0's

Andy

The first ones were radial - part 2 onwards is described as having a pony truck and this GA extract would appear to support that?

1923487472_N7-2frames-305to324buildnumbers2.jpg.3b21d3670deff5d635576210a615095b.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Part one had side movement on the leading driven axle combined with a radial truck at the rear to help them cope with curves. With part two the front axle side movement was dispensed with and a pony truck replaced the radial along with the wheel size reduction, 3'9" down to 3'6".  The rear frames narrowed in both cases. The elimination of the front axle side movement meant different design coupling rods were used, a visible aspect not often mentioned. Shame the Oxford model only covers the original part one's (N7/1 & N7/4) but there it is. A lot of changes to cover the part two's (N7/2 & N7/3) would be needed. Annoyingly it's mostly the latter that got moved out to country sheds in later BR times.

Izzy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 23/09/2020 at 10:46, Bucoops said:

The first ones were radial - part 2 onwards is described as having a pony truck and this GA extract would appear to support that?

1923487472_N7-2frames-305to324buildnumbers2.jpg.3b21d3670deff5d635576210a615095b.jpg

My apologies for the error. I was using the Isinglass model drawings for my assumption. 

I do have a working suspension 4mm N7 chassis in progress but for now it will only have a sliding sideways movement for the trailing axle. Hopefully it will still work as planned.

Andy

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Andy Reichert said:

My apologies for the error. I was using the Isinglass model drawings for my assumption. 

I do have a working suspension 4mm N7 chassis in progress but for now it will only have a sliding sideways movement for the trailing axle. Hopefully it will still work as planned.

Andy

Andy

Nothing to apologise for - 1) I'm usually wrong so this is a minor miracle and 2) the N7s went through a lot of changes!

Would love to see the chassis you are building.

• Like 1

On 28/09/2020 at 12:50, Bucoops said:

Nothing to apologise for - 1) I'm usually wrong so this is a minor miracle and 2) the N7s went through a lot of changes!

Would love to see the chassis you are building.

So would I....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2020 at 17:28, Andy Reichert said:

Andy

I do hope I’m wrong but I am currently making an N7/3 in 2mm/2FS and tried just using a sliding axle for the carry wheel. Sadly the min radius it could manage was about 30” even with narrowed rear frame, so I had to re-make it with a pony truck so it could do an A6, about 18” ruling rad in 2mm.

Izzy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I do hope I’m wrong but I am currently making an N7/3 in 2mm/2FS and tried just using a sliding axle for the carry wheel. Sadly the min radius it could manage was about 30” even with narrowed rear frame, so I had to re-make it with a pony truck so it could do an A6, about 18” ruling rad in 2mm.

Izzy

The part 3s have the pony truck :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I had hoped to keep it simple for constructional purposes since 2FS uses split frame construction, but as you say more prototypical. I found the wheels not taking an angle caused the flanges to ride up the rail head as well as the lack of axle side play.

Izzy

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 06/10/2020 at 04:00, Bucoops said:

One thing has "come to light" recently which is a radial truck from London Road Models ( @hayfield nabbed a couple off ebay) - right at the end of the page here - https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/locos-tenders-chassis/lnwr/

I wonder if they may be useful for earlier N7 chassis'?

They are - used two on mine. Very nice - and fit into standard hornblock locations. They are sprung independently, too, but can be built into the CSB scheme, though I didn’t do so.

• Like 2

I have now received my LNER version 8011 with factory fitted sound decoder.  It ran briefly but then stopped and would no longer run.  I put it on the programming track but it did not even recognise the loco.  After a lot of messing around I sent it back and received a replacement.  This one ran for 5-10 minutes around the layout then started to get a little unreliable, which I put down to dirty track.  Eventually it stopped and refused to budge.  Again putting it on the programming track the controller did not see the loco.  Later in the evening it worked for a few minutes then stopped again.

Has anyone else had any similar running problems with a factory fitted sound decoder version?  My concern is that with two locomotives doing the same thing maybe my track is the problem, although all other locos run fine, which would tend to disprove that.  I am also concerned that they sent me the same loco back after perhaps testing it and found it worked OK at that time.

I would be interested to hear of anyone else's experience with this same loco.

• Friendly/supportive 1

My BR E/C N7 turned up today. Very nice model with good sounds IMHO. My only gripe is that only a few of the functions are actually on the correct F number but that maybe my controller? I do have one question. Does anyone know if these are pre fitted with firebox glow? I only ask because it mentions on the functions list but wonder if that's just a generic note

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adamski94 said:

My BR E/C N7 turned up today. Very nice model with good sounds IMHO. My only gripe is that only a few of the functions are actually on the correct F number but that maybe my controller? I do have one question. Does anyone know if these are pre fitted with firebox glow? I only ask because it mentions on the functions list but wonder if that's just a generic note

I'm not aware that any of the OR N7 models come with LED glowing fireboxes.

The only current/forthcoming production models that do come with this feature are the Rails/Dapol Terrier, Dapol Dock tank, Bachmann J72, Hornby Princess Royal class, 94XX Pannier and possibly the Midland 0 4 4 tank.

I'm still new to DCC and chipping, but this facility on the chip could be for an aftermarket firebox glow fitment.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It sounds like the instructions that come with the GER sound version - simply wrong - maybe for some other loco as you say.  Just press the buttons to find out!

Malcolm

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adamski94 said:

Thanks Guys I couldn't find anything to suggest it does and having pressed every function can confirm there is no light on my model at least!

You’ll find my comments not far down on screen 41. I will say that I find it disappointing that Oxford doesn’t seem to have addressed the disparity between the instructions and the performance in the interval between my model and yours.

My model hasn’t got firebox glow either.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As an update to my posting above, I had an email from Oxford Rail yesterday to inform me that the Westinghouse Brake pump sound is not included on the decoder, even though the pump is fitted to the model!

I cannot believe this, it was the most distinctive sound of an N7 when working the “jazz” service from Liverpool Street station.

Sadly for Oxford Rail, they will not be getting an order from me, it’s a poor decision by them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I've got to ask, is that the non-sound fitted version?

A nice, unexpected, Pre-Christmas surprise.

Thank you, yes it is a nice surprise, and unexpected!

Yes, non sound fitted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1