Oxford N7

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 18:33, scottishsteam said:

I managed to pick one of these up in Oxford's "factory reject bin" on Sunday at Model Rail Scotland for £20. It was advertised as a non-runner with split gears (which I have now fixed), but the chimney is also not sitting correctly on the smokebox. 

I am a recent returnee to modelling with limited skills, can anybody suggest what might be the best way to remove the chimney so that I can reattach it in the correct position? I can live with it (especially for £20!) if it is a very difficult task. 

You lucky man!

The chimney simply isn't properly seated. Try pulling it out. Then investigate why the locating spigot doesn't go down the hole in the smoke box until fully seated. It will likely be useful to take the body off the mechanism to attend to the fitting.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You lucky man!

The chimney simply isn't properly seated. Try pulling it out. Then investigate why the locating spigot doesn't go down the hole in the smoke box until fully seated. It will likely be useful to take the body off the mechanism to attend to the fitting.

Many thanks; ended up prying off gently. One spigot had snapped, so both cut flush and chimney glued back on. Not perfect but for the price paid I can't grumble!

8011.jpeg

• Like 9

You paid £20 for her? Oh well done! They are a great model aren't they? Runs beautifully too! Good effective haulers as well. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Been a while since I've been on this page. 

However I've been creating the perfect scene for the N7 & Quints on my layout, Mile End Park has been progressing well ( Which you can follow on my blog :) ) Just need to look into getting some LNER 52'6 stock now. 

IMG_1149.JPG.1c0a2508d81458d3119f1618c81e99a3.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG.91db04dfbd079e92cb791aec336ab696.JPG

• Like 4

I have to say it. I’ve tried not to, but I just have to. The wait for the sound-equipped BR N7 seems bloody endless. There, I feel better now. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If not mentioned before has this a 5 or 3 pole motor any more information on these

are they quiet who makes these for Oxford.

Edited by paul 27
  • Like 1

Oxford have their own manufacturing facility by their account. The motor is a very smooth running sealed can, reputedly a coreless design and  of unknown pole count. My two examples to date had a slight amount of gear noise out of the box, an hour of running saw the mechanism effectively quieted up to a scale 60mph as  the loudest sound is the wheels on the rails. There was a slight whine at maximum speed, way faster than the real thing would move. Good traction as the model is heavy for its size, will pull any realistic load you care to hand on the hook.

The weakest aspect arguably the less than elegant mounting of the couplings, the front coupling in particular protruding well forward.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1