Oxford Rail announces Warwells

mikeharvey22

11 hours ago, markw said:

The three I have bought all have faulty bogies, it appears to be a tooling error so probably affects all of them.

As you can see in the attached photos, on one side of the bogie the axle holes don't match the axlebox spacing, which makes the axles not parallel.

I will be returning them for a refund.

P_20190512_171139.jpg

P_20190512_171305.jpg

P_20190512_172321.jpg

Oops...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, markw said:

.  . . on one side of the bogie the axle holes don't match the axlebox spacing, which makes the axles not parallel.

P_20190512_172321.jpg

DFF2F76B-FF33-40E8-964A-6536C8BBA8F2.jpeg.b4b40f06184705278a7fa5c5d7f11946.jpeg

Special design for roundy layouts? 

Ta for the info I’ll be checking mine when they arrive at the local shop. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I could fill the holes, drill new ones and fit tophat bearings I suppose, but shouldn't need to.

Let's hope it is a small batch that is affected, and not the whole run. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just saw these in my local shop, what on earth is that colour? Sorry but I waited for the triple pack with modified decks, that was cancelled and reverted to the same deck, there’s a moot point on the initial advertising! ;)

not buying them in that it’s way off!

56F7BA5E-F933-4F54-AD1A-A623895C22C3.jpeg.807dd203653eb7ff145f60428983a739.jpeg

0F6805D5-C351-4482-9493-74CD58CA6B8E.jpeg.46a73c06cc139e8030005618adc10d4a.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Just saw these in my local shop, what on earth is that colour? Sorry but I waited for the triple pack with modified decks, that was cancelled and reverted to the same deck, there’s a moot point on the initial advertising! ;)

not buying them in that it’s way off!

56F7BA5E-F933-4F54-AD1A-A623895C22C3.jpeg.807dd203653eb7ff145f60428983a739.jpeg

0F6805D5-C351-4482-9493-74CD58CA6B8E.jpeg.46a73c06cc139e8030005618adc10d4a.jpeg

Its meant to be wood. As tanks and other tracked vehicles will damage the floors they are wood that can easily be replaced. Apart from anti-rot treatment they are unpainted.

• RMweb Gold

No it's the green that's nothing like any Modern Warwell I've seen when I used to signal trains of them regularly, Hattons had the right much darker greens on both modern versions ;)  Just mildly irritated as I waited for these due to the original advert mentioning the extra mods and the " we aim to include many of these" line which turned out to have never been the intention to tool the newer deck (only confirmed at the NEC last year), and now it's the wrong green and would need repainting and transfers! If Hattons still had them I'd be buying theirs!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not knowing too much about these prototypes but understanding that the experts (ie you guys) were waiting for what sounded like a more accurate modern version from Oxford Rail, I also waited to see what the verdict was on these.  If the Hatton's version, despite the observations about the bogies is considered the better model, than I'll just need to hope that they do another run.  I'll obviously have to reacquaint myself with the content of the Hatton's thread in the meantime.  Still if the Trains4U / Calvarex  warflats are not out until 2020, I'm not in too much of a rush.

There is plenty of other models out their that I'd like.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

No it's the green that's nothing like any Modern Warwell I've seen when I used to signal trains of them regularly, Hattons had the right much darker greens on both modern versions ;)  Just mildly irritated as I waited for these due to the original advert mentioning the extra mods and the " we aim to include many of these" line which turned out to have never been the intention to tool the newer deck (only confirmed at the NEC last year), and now it's the wrong green and would need repainting and transfers! If Hattons still had them I'd be buying theirs!

Ditto, but is the version just released the same as what is now planned in the triple pack, or another variation (less the mods that were mooted). If so, we might yet see the corrects shade of green...long shot I know after MK3 Gate...

• Like 1

Neither the Hatton's warwell or this version of the Oxford warwell have the widened decks, which were a feature of all these wagons after they were refurbished in the 1990's to enable them to load Warrior vehicles safely.

From Oxfords press releases, they don't intend to make that a feature of the triple pack either.

Additionally, the Hatton's warwell's bogies appear to be underscale, perhaps HO scale. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Ditto, but is the version just released the same as what is now planned in the triple pack, or another variation (less the mods that were mooted). If so, we might yet see the corrects shade of green...long shot I know after MK3 Gate...

Well there’s conflicting info on the triple pack as the wholesaler said it’s cancelled to my local, still on the Oxford website though. 

The plain green would be the 80-90’s warwell, (so we will have to hope that the 2000’s version with yellow jack frame, is correct), it’s not even close in shade on the one I saw so have no idea where they got that colour reference from. It’s like comparing BR green to LNER apple green! I was going to ask to see the bogies after the problem posted before but I just put it back in the shelf as it’s too wrong for me to bother. Slight variations I can live with and weather but that needs a total repaint and to find transfers and that rather defeats the cheaper price advantage over the nice heavy Hattons version. 

Minded to hope Hattons do some more to coincide with the warflats from Cavalex as Gareth has said he’s suggested it ;)  

• Like 2

I've bought a pair of these from hattons for a prezzie for fathers day.

I asked them to check before sending.

They arrived sat, and low and behold mine are the same as everyone elses.

So obviously not been checked. They derail on every point, and even on straights. The wheels are mega loose and theres a 2 to 3mm tolerance on the bogie frames to the wheel flange. Not good. Sending them back tomorrow. Oxford rail should be ashamed of these. Quality control... what's that? Maybe this is why the triple pack is cancelled.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

I cracked and bought one of the airbraked version for "research porpoises".

Derails on straight track, axles very sloppy fit in bogies. Wierd colour. Very light.  I've put it back in its box for now.....not impressed.

Will have to do some fettling at a later date.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

“ in pursuit of excellence “. Reminds me of “ setting higher standards “.

What a let down !

Bachmann's warflat isn't far away now so let's see what they really should be like, although for a price of course.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Bachmann's warflat isn't far away now so let's see what they really should be like, although for a price of course.

Will that have the extensions for warriors ? That’s the real deal breaker 

2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Will that have the extensions for warriors ? That’s the real deal breaker 

Are these extensions so complex that it would be impracticable to add them?

... or am I missing something?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Are these extensions so complex that it would be impracticable to add them?

... or am I missing something?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

No the extensions are dead simple but only found on the last version so not viable to tool that version they say. The platform for the Warriors is a separate piece altogether and slews the warrior to one side to keep it within gauge as the turret is offset. They still tend to run with OPPOS restrictions, opposite line blocked, in many areas as the platform puts them right on the limit of gauge. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

The Bachmann warflat is a totally different wagon ;) as the name suggests a flat deck rather than a well wagon. 

The Bachmann one is also an early version wagon and different again to the modern warflat ;) As said above Cavalex will soon solve that problem with a modern Warflat. For the Warwell I’m waiting for Hattons to be persuaded to rerun theirs or Oxford to sort their bogies and paint out! :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How confusing ...is this the war flat or well thread !

sorry don’t need warflats , built a couple of Genesis kits .

may need the warwell, but only if they tool the extensions and supporting brackets

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

How confusing ...is this the war flat or well thread !

Yes, my fault as I was comparing one model with another soon to be released.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

No the extensions are dead simple but only found on the last version so not viable to tool that version they say. The platform for the Warriors is a separate piece altogether and slews the warrior to one side to keep it within gauge as the turret is offset. They still tend to run with OPPOS restrictions, opposite line blocked, in many areas as the platform puts them right on the limit of gauge. 

As in the remodelling of Tyseley station platform canopies...

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2019 at 20:47, PaulRhB said:

No it's the green that's nothing like any Modern Warwell I've seen when I used to signal trains of them regularly, Hattons had the right much darker greens on both modern versions

Seems OR has a penchant for wrong colours. The grey on their GWR Toad was too light, the NE 6 plank grey was too light, the NE cattle wagon red oxide was... too light. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...