Oxford Rail announces Warwells

mikeharvey22

Guest Jack Benson

In order to self-deploy at semi-prepared sites,

Did Warwell wagons carry timber baulks* to aid loading/unloading? Maybe they were carried in separate wagons or not at all?

*in addition to the load 'in the well'

Cheers and Stay Safe

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Black Marlin said:

I'm considering getting one of these to carry a boiler load, which would entail removing the chain attachments at least on the well part of the wagon. Has anybody done this? How straightforward is it?

Does this help. Just looks like the chains are held on by pins into the bed.

Img_4490 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, @bigherb. Your advice was spot on. The chains are pinned down at either end but the pins are friction-fit: there's no glue involved. It's the work of a moment to prise them out with a scalpel blade. Unchaining the wagon, gluing down the load and affixing the chains more appropriately was, all told, a five-minute job, and a very satisfying one too. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 17/10/2020 at 20:13, Jack Benson said:

In order to self-deploy at semi-prepared sites,

Did Warwell wagons carry timber baulks* to aid loading/unloading? Maybe they were carried in separate wagons or not at all?

*in addition to the load 'in the well'

Cheers and Stay Safe

I believe most Warflat trains had a store van for carrying sleepers (for end loading and chocking), spare chains, re-railing parts and a ramp ladder, can't see why this wouldn't apply to Warwell trains as well. From the pictures I've seen the store vans normally seem to be ferry vans and have numbers painted on them to identify the train it belongs to. Even with a ramp wagon sleepers would have been used to stop them tearing apart the rails when they deploy onto track. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 26/07/2021 at 16:58, WD1995 said:

I believe most Warflat trains had a store van for carrying sleepers (for end loading and chocking), spare chains, re-railing parts and a ramp ladder, can't see why this wouldn't apply to Warwell trains as well. From the pictures I've seen the store vans normally seem to be ferry vans and have numbers painted on them to identify the train it belongs to. Even with a ramp wagon sleepers would have been used to stop them tearing apart the rails when they deploy onto track. 

I have seen tanks loaded onto Warwells using a ramp wagon. Do you know if they ever loaded/unloaded Shermans sideways?

I have only seen photos of tanks loaded at the end.

I know WW1 tanks were unloaded at the side?

I am modelling a tank depot served by trains - do you know if BOTH methods were used?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Photos do exist of WW1 tanks being loaded/unloaded from the side near the battle front. Ramps were built up of sleepers and covered with soil. The tanks were driven on to the wagons and then turned through ninety degrees to line up. The Warflats used had thick wooden floors that frequently required replacement after being chewed up by the tank tracks. At base camps end loading bays were employed and tanks were driven onto the train.

• Informative/Useful 3

I've seen pictures of the WW1 tanks loading via the side but not any involving Shermans and Warwells, I believe if they had no ramp wagons they would plan the journey around the use of an end loading dock. There is a video at the IWM that shows Shermans loading this way onto the shorter heavier rated warwells that I can send you a link to if you like. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Photos do exist of WW1 tanks being loaded/unloaded from the side near the battle front. Ramps were built up of sleepers and covered with soil. The tanks were driven on to the wagons and then turned through ninety degrees to line up. The Warflats used had thick wooden floors that frequently required replacement after being chewed up by the tank tracks. At base camps end loading bays were employed and tanks were driven onto the train.

Thank you, yes, I have seen WW1 tanks loading/unloading sideways - just wondered about Shermans?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WD1995 said:

I've seen pictures of the WW1 tanks loading via the side but not any involving Shermans and Warwells, I believe if they had no ramp wagons they would plan the journey around the use of an end loading dock. There is a video at the IWM that shows Shermans loading this way onto the shorter heavier rated warwells that I can send you a link to if you like. 

Thank you WD1995. I want to get the scene "correct" if you understand, so I will stick with end loading. I have managed to acquire the ramp wagon they sometimes carried. Hattons, on their website, show some interesting formations in wartime. If you are allowed to send the link I would be very grateful. Thank you for your quick response.

• Like 1