Decoder fitting for Pittman DC70X

SD45T-2

I have a number of brass locos, some of which have (open frame) Pittman motors. All the guides suggest isolating the brushes (easy) and motor from the chassis, which is fine except that the motors are retained by a large screw running from underneath the chassis into the bottom of the motor.

I don't really want to fit can motors, so can anyone suggest an alternative - besides using silicone sealant?

I have a number of brass locos, some of which have (open frame) Pittman motors. All the guides suggest isolating the brushes (easy) and motor from the chassis, which is fine except that the motors are retained by a large screw running from underneath the chassis into the bottom of the motor.

If the brushes are truly isolated then the jobs a good 'un.

If there's an electrical path through the motor body to one of the brushes, then the brushes are not isolated.

Sometimes it's the obvious solution that you don't see. If one of the motor brushes is still connected to the chassis then there's a path for the magic smoke to circulate through. I desoldered the lead, re-installed the sleeving and the unit runs.

Once I've traced the headlight wiring I can fit a decoder.

Archived